Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court records

• 14-05-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have two people who have been in court, one of them twice so there are 3 court cases I'd be interested in getting the records for if possible.
    Trial 1: 1922 or 23, Green St Courthouse, Dublin 7
    Trial 2: some time in the 1960s or 1970s, Dublin
    Trial 3: some time in the 1970s or 1980s, Dublin
    I'm just not sure how to go about it. The Courts Service info isn't promising:
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/4EA0CEBEE97357BA80256DA90037559A?opendocument&l=en
    All three cases are pre 1998 and none are directly related to me so I'm not sure I cant get anything there.

As usual, I cant figure out much from the Nat. Archives site, though it says here: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/archives-held-in-the-national-archives/introduction/ that they have "Archives of the courts and probate registries dating mainly from the late 19th and 20th centuries, but including some items dating from the 14th century". I'm not sure what collection they'd be in though. Also, I seem to remember reading something ages ago about there being a 70 year wait before such things were released.

I'm just wondering if anyone has searched this type of thing & how they got on? I'll keep looking of course, but if anyone has any suggestions/ experience... :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They should be in the National Archives. Your best bet is to go in there and talk to someone and look at the finding aids. However, keep in mind that the records you want might be in storage offsite, so you might have to order them (or be unable to look at them at all).

Have you tried newspapers for reports of the court proceedings?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Yeah I was thinking I would have to go ask someone at the Archives, I did mention it when I spoke to someone there a few years ago & they didn't really know much :( I will try speaking to someone again, but if I can go there with some info, it should get me further.

I have the newspaper articles relating to the 1920s case- I had the date of the crime. With the other two: I'm on the case of the second one (it was the 80s for sure, I realised when I checked my notes again), its just taking me a good while to go through the newspapers on microfilm. For the first one I dont have a date or anything to even start with. I hoped I could do a search on the Nat.Arch. site which could narrow these down for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do yourself a favour and spend €10 to get a 24 hours subscription to the Irish Times digital archive! Or go to the local library where you should get access for free to it and the Irish Newspaper Archive (but check that one first to see how far it goes because I have a notion it only goes to the mid 90s).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Thanks pp, I see the NLI has the Irish Times Digital Archives available so I'll have a look on there- though I dont think the cases would have been mentioned in the Irish Times. I did look at the Irish Newspaper Archive there before; it doesn't have the main local papers & I only got one match searching what they do have-> a paper from the other side of the county that only had a couple of lines. It seems I'll have to trawl through the microfilm when it comes to the newspapers.

Advertisement