Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IGRS open day in Pearse St library on 19th May

• 22-04-2012 2:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Their next open day in May looks very good.

Lectures:

"Digitising a treasure trove: the chief secretary's office registered papers" given by Nigel Johnston

"Crime and punishment: Ireland's prison and petty sessions records" given by Brian Donovan

"A myriad of sources for early Irish marriages" given by Roz McCutcheon

"Sources for adoption and fostering in Ireland" given by Anna Austin

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Their next open day in May looks very good.

Lectures:

"Digitising a treasure trove: the chief secretary's office registered papers" given by Nigel Johnston

"Crime and punishment: Ireland's prison and petty sessions records" given by Brian Donovan

"A myriad of sources for early Irish marriages" given by Roz McCutcheon

"Sources for adoption and fostering in Ireland" given by Anna Austin

pinky I can't find a link online so maybe you'll know - even though it's an open day (and I presume free) must places be booked? Newry library often run family history lectures and workshops but places are limited and must be pre-booked.

Is anyone a member of the IGRS, just out of interest? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's free and no booking required, as far as I know. I'm not a member of the IGRS.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I'm not a member of the IGRS.

Tbh I'd never heard of them. But I checked their website and was wondering if anyone was signed up. They have a members only forum which I imagine must be similiar to this one! :D

They are one of the bigger organisations. Steven Smyrl, who just did that Dead Money show, is one of their big shots.

I was a member of the IFHS for years but apart from an annual journal and some newsletters, I didn't feel like I got much out of it. I'm much younger than the average age profile for most genealogists so I always felt weird if I attended any of their events.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

These events usually say 'booking needed' but I have attended several and never a problem with size of room in Pearse Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm much younger than the average age profile for most genealogists so I always felt weird if I attended any of their events.
    You shouldn't be thinking that way Pinky:confused: Genealogy is one of those activities that has no age boundaries - except when clambering around dodgy graveyards! My first experience with gen. was age 18 when I went in to the Gen. Office (in Dublin Castle) and when the guy there saw that I had done some homework and knew what I was looking for he couldn't have been more helpful.

I’m not a member of the IGRS either; because they are based primarily in the UK the benefits for Irish members are more limited.
    Their website is http://www.igrsoc.org/index.htm
    I've been in email contact with one of their senior members (UK based) while during a bit of research (on an Anglo-Irish family) and found him to be most obliging and extremely helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

They are one of the bigger organisations. Steven Smyrl, who just did that Dead Money show, is one of their big shots.

I was a member of the IFHS for years but apart from an annual journal and some newsletters, I didn't feel like I got much out of it. I'm much younger than the average age profile for most genealogists so I always felt weird if I attended any of their events.

I definitely understand that one! Nothing like going to an Irish genealogy get together here in the US and being the only one under 30...under 40....under 50! :D

You shouldn't be thinking that way Pinky:confused: Genealogy is one of those activities that has no age boundaries - except when clambering around dodgy graveyards!

I have no problem with service level genealogy use and my age - it's just that many of the genealogy events organised by groups like IFHS/IGRS, etc, are not aimed at my age group. While I may well be interested in seeing a particular big house on a day trip - I don't have much in common with people sharing around photos of the grandchildren. My class in UCD was a much older age profile but did not experience the same issues because we could always talk about the course!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Don't worry, PinkyPinky - if you stick with it long enough, you won't be the youngest. ;) I was one of the younger ones when I did the course in UCD, but I'm catching up :p
    That open day looks really interesting.
    Thanks in advance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I had a hard time finding the info on the IGRS website. In the end I found it by just Googling the info which PinkyPinky put up here and this is the link to it below. Sometimes I can't see for looking!

http://www.igrsoc.org/ireland_branch.html

• Advertisement

The fact that they are the "Ireland Branch" of an organisation called the "Irish Genealogical Research Society" irritates me!

Genealogy Forum Mod

The fact that they are the "Ireland Branch" of an organisation called the "Irish Genealogical Research Society" irritates me!

Me too! They are based in the UK. They should be renamed to avoid confusion too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Me too! They are based in the UK. They should be renamed to avoid confusion too.

I’ve no problem with it. It does not need renaming and is not confusing if one looks at the grammatical construction. It is the "Irish Genealogical Research Society” and the words ‘Irish’ and ‘Genealogical’ qualify the word ‘Research’. It does not claim to be Irish based – if it did make that claim it would be called the "Genealogical Research Society of Ireland”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Anybody know what time it starts, please?

As per the link http://www.igrsoc.org/ireland_branch.html

Saturday 19th May 2012 (10 am - 4. 30 pm).

Advertisement