Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

TA at people on Twitter who tweet something, get a lot of likes and comments, and then write "wow this blew up quickly!" before swelling their head up even more by saying "look at how great i am! I raise funds!"

Look, doing charity is a nice thing, but do not announce that you do it. It shows you don't give a shít and just do it for the attention.

I just reminded myself of another TA from about 5 or 6 years ago - the ice bucket challenge: people who never donated but done it to "fit in" with the fad anyway.

I know workplace bullies who reduced people to tears and created a toxic environment proudly putting on their social media about them doing the Pieta House night walk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

oneweb wrote: »
    Prepack sandwiches which might as well have sliced pieces of sliotar in them as tomatoes for the texture and taste they represent.

Those awful "Scribbles" pre packed sandwiches with the fancy hipster packaging and containing the bare minimum filling.

TA'd at being too tired too cook this eve after another hectic Tuesday in work. I would love to abolish Tuesdays from the week. Also TA'd at not being able to shop in Penneys for new jocks and socks. My current undies either keep slipping halfways down my arse or keep disappearing up my crack thanks to the worn elastic. I don't fancy paying a fortune for pricey Calvin Klein undies online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those awful "Scribbles" pre packed sandwiches with the fancy hipster packaging and containing the bare minimum filling.

Unfamiliar with the brand, so looked them up..

Sales and marketing manager for Around Noon, Gareth Chambers, describes the brand as “fine food with attitude.” Speaking to ShelfLife he said: “We are a fun and progressive company and we wanted to reflect that with our packaging so the branding is conversational and quirky. The products are handmade and the fillings are high quality. Scribbles is a brand that we feel will inject a bit of fun into lunch-time with great packaging and an energetic social media campaign.”

Such utter bollocks.

I don't know any good reason why you should eat prepackaged sarnies regularly unless in extremis like army rations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

TA'd at being too tired too cook this eve after another hectic Tuesday in work. I would love to abolish Tuesdays from the week. Also TA'd at not being able to shop in Penneys for new jocks and socks. My current undies either keep slipping halfways down my arse or keep disappearing up my crack thanks to the worn elastic. I don't fancy paying a fortune for pricey Calvin Klein undies online.

Dunnes.....my supermarket has a small section of socks and jocks, always did....in my dunnes it's on the cosmetics aisle I think....should tie you over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The non stop news story about Ireland being a racist hellhole.

Show me this perfect non racist country we should benchmark ourselves against.

Racisim is a form of prejudice and discrimination based on a persons race or ethnicity ...

Being critical regarding people arriving here for economic reasons and using and abusing the asylum system for to further their own successes in life... at the expense of the irish taxpayer isnt racist...

We are financing money away from hospitals, rehabilitive health treatments for our citizens and taxpayers to provide a better quality of life to people from other locations....

Disagreeing with that isnt racist... its common sense.. ...

If after a serious car accident a tax payer and irish citizen needs to learn to walk again but their funding for a spell in the NRH is denied.... 'no funds available'... yet there IS funds available to clothe, house, feed, fund thousands of arrivals from thousands of kilometeres away...?

Hmmm id rather we focused on that kind of injustice as opposed to anything else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looked them up looks like that Wicked sh*te from Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Unfamiliar with the brand, so looked them up..

Sales and marketing manager for Around Noon, Gareth Chambers, describes the brand as “fine food with attitude.” Speaking to ShelfLife he said: “We are a fun and progressive company and we wanted to reflect that with our packaging so the branding is conversational and quirky. The products are handmade and the fillings are high quality. Scribbles is a brand that we feel will inject a bit of fun into lunch-time with great packaging and an energetic social media campaign.”

Such utter bollocks.

I don't know any good reason why you should eat prepackaged sarnies regularly unless in extremis like army rations.

Utter bollocks is right! I can imagine their production kitchen staffed by minimum wage foreign agency workers with a fat, barely literate Lunchlady Doris lookalike supervisor berating the workers if they dare to add more than the allotted filling portion to each sandwich. It's basically strictly portion controlled mass produced crap with fancy packaging and marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Any of those videos with talking lips and eyes superimposed on objects. Ugh, it wasn't amusing the first time.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“fine food with attitude.”

Kinda groovy, laid back mood...

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I know workplace bullies who reduced people to tears and created a toxic environment proudly putting on their social media about them doing the Pieta House night walk :rolleyes:

I had a manager once who single handedly landed one of his subs in therapy who then decided he was doing a cycle to Galway in aid of AWARE. Absolute tool of a man child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I had a manager once who single handedly landed one of his subs in therapy who then decided he was doing a cycle to Galway in aid of AWARE. Absolute tool of a man child.

As regards employment, in 2021 anybody either genuinely or disingenuously claiming mental health issues is practically untouchable.... we had one guy claiming he had agoraphobia and then spotted in the audience of the Late Late show ffs... he was shopped to management but... ‘ nope, not touching that, he’ll be back when he’s ready... ‘ :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Low battery notification on phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

Boards pages bouncing around like a ping pong ball in a bouncy castle. You click, the link goes blue, but no, somewhere in that sequence a gigantic luminous purple ad for Eir has shoved itself in somewhere and now I've clicked the profile page of some random user who might think I'm stalking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Matt Lucas is a bit crap on GBBO.
    If he did it in the character of Marjorie Dawes that would be entertaining.
    At least get him a co-host, he can't carry it by himself.

Strumms wrote: »
    Racisim is a form of prejudice and discrimination based on a persons race or ethnicity ...

Heard someone Korean being interviewed on radio about racist experiences here.

Being mocked by Dublin youths, well they're dickheads to just about everyone anyway.

Being constantly asked where you are from, annoying maybe, not necessarily racist.
    Being asked where the best Korean restaurant is, again maybe well-meaning but clueless conversation making.
    Being asked are you from the north or the south, well, duh, what do you think? Again sounds more clueless than malicious.

If I had a euro for every mention of alcohol, st paddy's day, accent, The Brits, potatoes, are you from north or south etc I'd have a lot of euros...none of which, unless the same person kept cracking the same unfunny joke multiple times, I take much notice of.
    Besides I like potatoes and drink anyway.

I've been in Asia and probing personal questions from people you've just met is pretty normal there and have never taken offence at those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

"accept all cookies"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

PsychoPete wrote: »
    "accept all cookies"
    Computer cookies? Hell, no, PFO.

Actual cookies? GIMME!!

Large adverts every few lines down on a news article seem to be the thing now and bloody annoying as hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My TA on a daily basis...

Seriously, fúck people who do this.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tailgaters. Sometimes I see two vehicles so close together I assume that the car behind is being towed.
    If the first car has to brake suddenly for any reason the twerp behind would not even get a chanceto touch the brakes before they crash into the back of them.
    Forgot to mention those absolute arseholes who tailgate you at night with the full beams on and blind you in the mirror. Grrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Strumms wrote: »
    As regards employment, in 2021 anybody either genuinely or disingenuously claiming mental health issues is practically untouchable.... we had one guy claiming he had agoraphobia and then spotted in the audience of the Late Late show ffs... he was shopped to management but... ‘ nope, not touching that, he’ll be back when he’s ready... ‘ :cool:

Depends where you work. My place would give you the heave ho as quick as they could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

image.png

It's even more gross to be sharing a sugar bag with others during the time we're in :o

To thine own self be true

image.png

Bits of butter left in the jam. :mad:

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bits of butter left in the jam. :mad:

Oh you don't wanna see the tub of butter in that place. It's nightmare/anger fuel. I opted to eat a dry scone as a result of what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

image.png

Used to happen in my office for ages until the cleaning lady decided to buy sugar lumps instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tailgaters. Sometimes I see two vehicles so close together I assume that the car behind is being towed.
    If the first car has to brake suddenly for any reason the twerp behind would not even get a chanceto touch the brakes before they crash into the back of them.
    Forgot to mention those absolute arseholes who tailgate you at night with the full beams on and blind you in the mirror. Grrrr!

I was just going to mention the M50 and tailgating. Then I did a search for 'tailgating, law Ireland'. And what appeared? Only an article about a judge giving out about the common occurrence of tailgating on the m50 feb 2019.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/judge-critical-of-all-too-common-tailgating-on-irish-roads-1.3787069

Some feckers can really put your heart in your mouth. It is madness. I think some must do it for the craic or a buzz or something.
    (I said this, not the judge :D)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Standing on a slug while wearing socks after going outside, briefly, without shoes to save time.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

TA that I can’t find my favourite hoodie and I have no idea where it could be. Makes it even worse that I haven’t gone anywhere so there’s nowhere I could’ve left it, it has to be in the house somewhere

Straining to hear a podcast over a speaker at full volume, then an ad comes on and blasts my ears off.

"From [PTSB/PayPal etc.]: Your security code is 895...

[Tap to read message]"

Pleeeeease don't make me tap into messages only to have to tap back out again. Put the code first, I'm expecting it after all!!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Standing on a slug while wearing socks after going outside, briefly, without shoes to save time.

I heard the worst, most soul-chilling scream from my hallway one night. It didn't sound human. I ran out to see what was happening - half assuming I'd find one of the kids lying in a pool of blood with one of the others standing over them with a kitchen knife.

I find my wife standing there on the tiled floor, white as a sheet, frozen, trembling, with her hands held up beside her face rigid. She was just wearing a dressing gown and barefoot. I look down at her feet. They're covered in sticky green ooze.

Turns out a slug had got in. A very large slug. She had stood on it, barefoot, and it had exploded all over her legs. She just could not move. I had to go an get wipes and a towel and clean her foot and leg and the floor and throw it them away before I could gently lead her by the arm to the sofa in the living room. Utter trauma.

half assuming I'd find one of the kids lying in a pool of blood with one of the others standing over them with a kitchen knife.

[Snip]

She had stood on it, barefoot, and it had exploded all over her legs.

Amputation's the only way to get over that trauma. And shure you've got a kid in mind to do it already!!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

oneweb wrote: »
    "From [PTSB/PayPal etc.]: Your security code is 895...

[Tap to read message]"

Pleeeeease don't make me tap into messages only to have to tap back out again. Put the code first, I'm expecting it after all!!

Allow notifications in your info bar at the top of phone, you just need to pull down to expose more of the message without exiting the app.

TA with the weather when i cant get out in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Straining to hear a podcast over a speaker at full volume, then an ad comes on and blasts my ears off.

The same with programmes on the telly (especially at night). You have the volume up high enough to hear it it, but the ads come on at twice the volume!

(Cue people smugly commenting "I haven't seen an ad in 20 years because I don't watch traditional television.". :rolleyes: Another trivial annoyance... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I heard the worst, most soul-chilling scream from my hallway one night. It didn't sound human. I ran out to see what was happening - half assuming I'd find one of the kids lying in a pool of blood with one of the others standing over them with a kitchen knife.

I find my wife standing there on the tiled floor, white as a sheet, frozen, trembling, with her hands held up beside her face rigid. She was just wearing a dressing gown and barefoot. I look down at her feet. They're covered in sticky green ooze.

Turns out a slug had got in. A very large slug. She had stood on it, barefoot, and it had exploded all over her legs. She just could not move. I had to go an get wipes and a towel and clean her foot and leg and the floor and throw it them away before I could gently lead her by the arm to the sofa in the living room. Utter trauma.

Bleeeee!!!! :eek:
    My TA today: I laid a wood floor in my bedroom at the weekend (fcek all to do at the weekend except jobs in the house.) Now when the cat comes in and prowls around during the night, I hear her claws clicking on the floor and the sound wakes me/ keeps me awake. Need to get a rug now or persuade the cat to let me clip her claws! :D:D Have wood floors downstairs but never noticed the sound until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

"We're all still at risk from Covid 19, so keep washing those hands and coughing into those elbows..."
    That same ad blasts my head of every morning when im listening to my favourite podcast at a gentle level. I run over and hit mute on the speaker and almost start crying it drives me so crazy! The volume...his voice...the way he says those hands...Covid 19...aahhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I play a stupid little Harry Potter match 3 game on my phone. It's something to do while I'm making dinner or otherwise bored. It started randomly crashing yesterday and wouldn't open at all. I googled it and there didn't seem to be other problems with it in general so I assumed it had just got corrupted somehow. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it worked fine. I knew I'd lose all my progress but sure, what harm.

Realised late last night that there had actually been some bigger issue with Android phones yesterday which was causing random apps to crash. A small update fixed the problem. So I lost my progress on the game for nothing.

Porklife wrote: »
    "We're all still at risk from Covid 19, so keep washing those hands and coughing into those elbows..."
    That same ad blasts my head of every morning when im listening to my favourite podcast at a gentle level. I run over and hit mute on the speaker and almost start crying it drives me so crazy! The volume...his voice...the way he says those hands...Covid 19...aahhhhhh!!!

That one and slightly husky Covidgirl ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I play a stupid little Harry Potter match 3 game on my phone. It's something to do while I'm making dinner or otherwise bored. It started randomly crashing yesterday and wouldn't open at all. I googled it and there didn't seem to be other problems with it in general so I assumed it had just got corrupted somehow. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it worked fine. I knew I'd lose all my progress but sure, what harm.

Realised late last night that there had actually been some bigger issue with Android phones yesterday which was causing random apps to crash. A small update fixed the problem. So I lost my progress on the game for nothing.

Your progress might be on their systems server and if you send them an email they can let you know or sort it for you :)

My TA too many dogs on our morning walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Pre-ordered a new phone yesterday and paid a deposit.
    Have to wait a week before they ship it.
    How am I going to last that long at all?
    Just gimme the phone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

That one and slightly husky Covidgirl ad.

Oh god..I hate her!! It's like someone said oh you've a nice dulcet tone to your voice and she dialled it up to 11 with the faux huskiness.
    If I smash my speakers in frustration she owes me a new one!

Porklife wrote: »
    Oh god..I hate her!! It's like someone said oh you've a nice dulcet tone to your voice and she dialled it up to 11 with the faux huskiness.
    If I smash my speakers in frustration she owes me a new one!

The way she pronounces "or" as "oaaar".

Mollyb60 wrote: »

Wait, is that why my Spotify kept closing on me out of nowhere after 5 minutes? My last couple of hours in work last night were completely fcking ruined by this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

When life has taught me in situations like these, the powers that be are just running down the clock, to avoid breaking the law and their lackeys tell me to keep my spirits up*!

* inevitable followed by 'you don't cant know what his decision will be'/'keep plugging away'

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Awake half the night worrying about deadlines and not having a scoobies of how to tackle a new project,
    still like this am, but can't find the motivation to start today's work.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Woke up with a migraine that just wont go away.

The newstalk presenter that does the afternoon show. Really annoying accent.

Also the amount of ads on newstalk is unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Wait, is that why my Spotify kept closing on me out of nowhere after 5 minutes? My last couple of hours in work last night were completely fcking ruined by this!

Maybe? There was some issue with a google update yesterday that apparently was causing a load of problems with random apps for people. I couldn't open Viber, outlook, my HP game and maybe others I hadn't noticed. I had to go to the play store and update the google chrome app and it fixed it.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/22/22345696/google-android-apps-crashing-fix-system-webview

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've been having awful problems with Android and various Google apps a few weeks ago. It autoinstalled an update (some version of Android 10 despite my settings which said not to install anything) that completely fecked up my settings and corrupted my memory card. Now I can't disable stuff and it's doing my head in - how is it a "privacy improvement" to have the pre-installed calendar (which I can't remove) have access to my phone, be able to make phone calls and connect to the web without my knowing and have access to body sensors a "privacy improvement"? Why would the calendar need access to body sensors anyway? No thank you, I do NOT want to set a fingerprint control. The worst part is that these options are now greyed out and I can't disable them. If I try to disable/block the app (like the one for feedback, for instance - which, by the way, has some T&Cs attached to it, so if I want to open it to see what it is I have to agree to said T&C without being able to see what they are), it goes "dormant" for, like, 30 seconds, then reset itself. Ditto with various Google apps linked to the last update.

It even changed my access point name settings, so I wasn't able to connect to the internet until I realised what had happened.

The corruption of the MicroSD card is the really the pits, I used it as a backup and it had lots of very important, irreplaceable medical files and photos. I'm now scouring the internet trying to find a way to retrieve them. Apparently it's a known bug, the update looks for your SIM in slot A, and if it's not there it messes up whatever IS in slot A. What's worse, the next upgrade to Android 11 is likely going to brick my phone (also a known bug).

To say that I'm fuming would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When I hear asthma pronounced as "azma".

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement