Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Store Shipping times : MagSafe

Options
  • 14-01-2021 4:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I’ve been waiting for weeks to buy the belkin car mount with MagSafe. But since November it’s been saying it’s 4-6 weeks for dispatch.

I was about to buy one on eBay the other day for €100, but said no that’s madness don’t pay the flippers.

So I just put the order in on Apple at 11pm on Tuesday night, I thought to myself, it’s ordered now, it’s paid for, it’ll be here when it’s here, 4-6 weeks isn’t that long to wait.

I woke up on Wednesday morning(yesterday) to a text message saying my Apple order had shipped, and then at lunch time today it arrived.

38 hours. Yet the website says 4-6 weeks. Are Apple funding the eBay flippers with product, by posting delayed shipping times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

I ordered the same thing on 17 December and it said delivery due 22 February :eek:

It arrived yesterday, so no idea how they're calculating delivery times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

iniall wrote: »
    I ordered the same thing on 17 December and it said delivery due 22 February :eek:

It arrived yesterday, so no idea how they're calculating delivery times.

It’s mental.

I’m wondering if I should take a punt ordering the AirPods max and see if they turn up next day too!

How you finding the mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was very disappointed to see that mount doesn’t charge the phone. I mean, I know they don’t claim it does, but it would be an ideal and worthwhile feature.

If it charged the phone, most people would still want wired car play.

Powering the battery from two sources isn’t recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Is it worth getting ? My car has wireless CarPlay so I’d still have to charge via cable anyway

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Is it worth getting ? My car has wireless CarPlay so I’d still have to charge via cable anyway

I really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Apple purposely overestimate the expected shipping dates on the majority of their products. This is done in their own words “to surprise the customer”

Source https://www.asai.ie/complaint/computers/

eeloe wrote: »
    It’s mental.

I’m wondering if I should take a punt ordering the AirPods max and see if they turn up next day too!

How you finding the mount?

I love how the phone goes on and comes off. The whole MagSafe part, basically. The unexpected downside is that it protrudes further forward from the vent than I expected. It's replacing an old Kenu mount, which sat further back and due to the position of the vents in my car, the Belkin mount makes my phone sit very close to the wiper stalk, which has been a little awkward so far. I'll have to play with positions over the weekend and see if things can be improved.

I love how the phone goes on and comes off. The whole MagSafe part, basically. The unexpected downside is that it protrudes further forward from the vent than I expected. It's replacing an old Kenu mount, which sat further back and due to the position of the vents in my car, the Belkin mount makes my phone sit very close to the wiper stalk, which has been a little awkward so far. I'll have to play with positions over the weekend and see if things can be improved.

I found the same problem, had to move the mount from behind the stalk to the other side of the head until altogether, to be honest it looks better haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Apple purposely overestimate the expected shipping dates on the majority of their products. This is done in their own words “to surprise the customer”

Source https://www.asai.ie/complaint/computers/

Usually. I ordered a MacBook Air before Christmas. Estimated delivery three weeks, it’s now looking at the end of the month/February. I didn’t believe the times at purchase and had checked with people who knew the distribution that it wouldn’t be hit by COVID/brexit. But here we are.

Edit to add: The adapters I ordered at the same time arrived in less than 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Is it DHL that deliver to the door or do they hand it over to An Post once it gets to Ireland? Expecting a delivery today but wouldn't normally see DHL vans around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

etxp wrote: »
    Is it DHL that deliver to the door or do they hand it over to An Post once it gets to Ireland? Expecting a delivery today but wouldn't normally see DHL vans around here.

It'll be DHL vans, Apple don't hand over to An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

It'll be DHL vans, Apple don't hand over to An Post.

Cheers for that, Delivery came, by a man in his what looked like his own car. Do DHL use freelance delivery drivers?

Cheers for that, Delivery came, by a man in his what looked like his own car. Do DHL use freelance delivery drivers?

yup most of the delivery companies have been doing this since the pandemic hit and everyone is shopping more and more online. I can't remember the last time I've seen a brown UPS or a yellow DHL van, bog standard white Transit vans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

DHL delivered an iPhone to me in 2016. Live tracked it from Shannon to Thurles 6am - 9am. Unless this has changed recently, it was a DHL van.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DHL is a courier service, vans or a lad in his Corsa.

DHL eCommerce is a mail service, uses An Post as a delivery partner.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Usually. I ordered a MacBook Air before Christmas. Estimated delivery three weeks, it’s now looking at the end of the month/February. I didn’t believe the times at purchase and had checked with people who knew the distribution that it wouldn’t be hit by COVID/brexit. But here we are.

Edit to add: The adapters I ordered at the same time arrived in less than 24 hours.

Macs have been taken ages for months now. I ordered a macbook air in Sept, took 4 weeks, ordered another on the 4th Dec, delivery date was initially 16th Dec, then it moved to 5th January, it was delivered at 7pm on Christmas Eve.

I now have another MBA ordered since last Friday, currently showing delivery date of between 2nd - 9th Feb, so will be interested to see when this one turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have an iPad that looks like its going from the UK to France on the ferry at the moment my arrive window ended today and has now been pushed to Friday.

UPS seem to have a hub now in France.

Previously it used to go from Tamworth to Cologne then Dublin, Now it's Tamworth, Stanford Le Hope to France then hopefully Dublin and arrival tomorrow.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Macs have been taken ages for months now. I ordered a macbook air in Sept, took 4 weeks, ordered another on the 4th Dec, delivery date was initially 16th Dec, then it moved to 5th January, it was delivered at 7pm on Christmas Eve.

I now have another MBA ordered since last Friday, currently showing delivery date of between 2nd - 9th Feb, so will be interested to see when this one turns up.

That's a lot of MacBook Airs! I know the M1 is really impressive, but three of them seems greedy :pac: !

That's a lot of MacBook Airs! I know the M1 is really impressive, but three of them seems greedy :pac: !

kids homeschooling is blasting through most people's home IT budgets pretty quickly this year.

• Advertisement

Ha, the one in Oct was for a college kid, the one in Dec was the new M1 and a surprise for my wife for Christmas, and then as you said, the M1 is impressive so I decided upgrade my old MBA and have now ordered one for myself. It does help when a family member works for Apple :)

I bet it does - lucky you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have an iPad that looks like its going from the UK to France on the ferry at the moment my arrive window ended today and has now been pushed to Friday.

UPS seem to have a hub now in France.

Previously it used to go from Tamworth to Cologne then Dublin, Now it's Tamworth, Stanford Le Hope to France then hopefully Dublin and arrival tomorrow.

So my iPad has now been stuck in customs in the UK for two days and delivery date has been pushed from a number of times from Friday to Monday and now to next Thursday.

Original delivery window was 19th to 26th and it was dispatched by Apple on the 21st so it's looking like a two week delivery from date of dispatch.

Did your mac book arrive?, the one I ordered middle of January was delivered yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I ordered an M1 MacBook Air on Jan 30th, due for delivery 10th to 17th of February. Any chance it will arrive on the 10th or are they generally taking longer?

Kagawa wrote: »
    I ordered an M1 MacBook Air on Jan 30th, due for delivery 10th to 17th of February. Any chance it will arrive on the 10th or are they generally taking longer?

Mine was ordered on Jan 22nd and delivery was scheduled for Feb 2-Feb 9th and it was delivered on Feb 3rd if thats any good to you.

Advertisement