Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a stupid question

Options
  • 02-01-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick one, as it's that time of year for getting quotes.. do I need to include a claim that happened in the past 3 years that I was ruled not at fault and claimed repair expenses solely off of the other party/kept my NCB. I informed my insurer of it but want to make sure I'm not needlessly including it when looking for quotes elsewhere.

If so I see the option for 'third party' on the list of reasons for the claim, would this be what I pick or does it go under accident as normal? Want to make sure I'm doing it the proper way!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Has your current insurer sent you a no claims cert with your renewal notice? From what you've told us above, that incident would not be called a claim in any man's language.

A 'claim' in this context is where your insurance pays out, either to you for accidental damage (under fully comp. cover) or to a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

coylemj wrote: »
    Has your current insurer sent you a no claims cert with your renewal notice? From what you've told us above, that incident would not be called a claim in any man's language.

A 'claim' in this context is where your insurance pays out, either to you for accidental damage (under fully comp. cover) or to a third party.

Not this year, but the one last year did not have it listed.. my confusion arose when some websites said to include even not-at-fault claims (I can see what you're saying that my insurance wasn't involved at all). Might try leave it off and clarify before signing up if I do end up changing insurers

Thanks Coyle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cefh17 wrote: »
    Not this year, but the one last year did not have it listed

Since that incident was closed, has your insurance company sent you a no claims cert. showing that you had no claims during the period covering that incident?

If the answer is 'yes' then you have not had a claim and have no need to declare that incident as one when seeking a quote.

By all means phone and tell them before taking out a policy but be aware that most online systems are programmed to reject anyone who had a recent claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the question is... " any accidents or claims.......etc". You declare the accident and clarify as settled against 3rd party. Shouldn't affect your premium. If the question only asks about claims, you don't need to mention it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its wise to add the claim even if no fault , and put a value of 0 euro .

i have had them come back to query before , and AIG tried to charge me 50 euro extra for not mentioning it .

( someone scraped my car in a car park and their insurance paid for it )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The word 'claim' is often misused when it comes to insurance. Only a policyholder can claim on an insurance policy. If someone else causes you damage, HE claims under HIS policy for funds to make payment to for your loss. The practice of his insurance dealing directly with you doesn't change that principle.

You are not claiming on his policy, he is. He has a contract with his insurer to reimburse him for his financial obligations to others, as a result of his actions in a motoring incident. In this example, the OP had an accident, but not a claim

Advertisement