Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium after incident

Options
  • 15-12-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So I'm not proud to say it but at 25 I was involved in my first ever incident.

Long story short the damage caused is over 3000 euros just to my car. I am going to have it repaired at my local approved repair centre.

I am currently paying 140 euro / month for my insurance and I am wondering how much more my premium could be next year. I had a step back protection which will recover some of the damage caused to my NCB.

I am concerned it will go to something like 250 euro next year which will pretty much put me off the road as I don't think I'd be able to afford to pay that much.

Any of ye have any experience with going through insurance after claims?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

How much the damage caused to the other car is the petinent issue here, not the 3000 damage to yours. Unless you are claiming for 3000 damage to your own car that you caused yourself, which I don't think is advisable as they will get their money back in the end.

Mate had a serial claimant park like a coont behind them, and at the time he naively thought parking illegally gave him carte blanche to nudge his way past their car.

It didn't. Despite the fact the claimant and her sister had made at least two similar claims before and exaggerated the damage caused by trying to claim additional dents on her car from other incidents, mate was held liable for 1000 odd. Insurers couldn't care less that she was a serial claimant as they weren't going to make a loss.

His insurer allowed him to pay it to them (the insurer). In return he keeps his NCB so his new premium was lower than before.

Flip side being the insurer now effectively has you by the balls for 4 odd years- you can't go elsewhere as they won't provide you a clean NCB cert.

It's a no risk protection racket basically.

But yes, probably best off getting the figure of how much the insurer is paying out, paying them directly after, and pretending it all never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

How much the damage caused to the other car is the petinent issue here, not the 3000 damage to yours. Unless you are claiming for 3000 damage to your own car that you caused yourself, which I don't think is advisable as they will get their money back in the end.

Mate had a serial claimant park like a coont behind them, and at the time he naively thought parking illegally gave him carte blanche to nudge his way past their car.

It didn't. Despite the fact the claimant and her sister had made at least two similar claims before and exaggerated the damage caused by trying to claim additional dents on her car from other incidents, mate was held liable for 1000 odd. Insurers couldn't care less that she was a serial claimant as they weren't going to make a loss.

His insurer allowed him to pay it to them (the insurer). In return he keeps his NCB so his new premium was lower than before.

Flip side being the insurer now effectively has you by the balls for 4 odd years- you can't go elsewhere as they won't provide you a clean NCB cert.

It's a no risk protection racket basically.

But yes, probably best off getting the figure of how much the insurer is paying out, paying them directly after, and pretending it all never happened.

In my case there was no damage at all to the other vehicle as it was a HGV thus from what I know by speaking to my insurance they didn't even claim it (minor scratches on their side). Thus I'm interested to see how much has the accidents affected people's premiums in the past so I could at least budget for the future.

And unfortunately I have to claim everything from my insurance because I cannot afford to pay 3 grand out of my own pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    In my case there was no damage at all to the other vehicle as it was a HGV thus from what I know by speaking to my insurance they didn't even claim it (minor scratches on their side). Thus I'm interested to see how much has the accidents affected people's premiums in the past so I could at least budget for the future.

And unfortunately I have to claim everything from my insurance because I cannot afford to pay 3 grand out of my own pocket.

Perhaps somebody could confirm but if I were you I would just get a 3 grand loan. Or buy a cheaper new car.

If you make a 3 grand claim from your own insurance, over something that was your own fault for damage to your own car, I'm fairly sure you are shooting yourself in the foot.

But I'd get a 2nd opinion here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Perhaps somebody could confirm but if I were you I would just get a 3 grand loan. Or buy a cheaper new car.

If you make a 3 grand claim from your own insurance, over something that was your own fault for damage to your own car, I'm fairly sure you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Id say if the other person is claiming too mightn't make much difference

Not sure about paying the money back, you've still got the accident on your record if you switch insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Had an accident myself a year and a half ago involving a third party. Can't go into the detail as the legal craic is still ongoing. However, insurance wise, I lost my 4 years of no claims and my premium went from €73 / month to just short of €400 / month on my renewal. Anyone else that would quote me told me I wouldn't get better than my own insurer and they knew that when giving me my renewal price. Saying that, they did say they'd reinstate my no claims if the court decides in my favour. Since then I've started building up no claims again, and as a result my premium has dropped to €270 / month on my last renewal.

• Advertisement

Literally just got the car in October so selling and buying something else is out of the equation. The fact it has a damage on its record will definitely lower it's value so I will definitely stick with the car for the next few years. It's repaired by an Axa approved garage but still.

Henryq. wrote: »
    Id say if the other person is claiming too mightn't make much difference

Not sure about paying the money back, you've still got the accident on your record if you switch insurer

Insurance confirmed that if third party was to claim, it wouldn't make any difference as it relates to an accident and not as a separate claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Why don't people just get the full no claims protection?

I just want it there for when I need it

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Had an accident myself a year and a half ago involving a third party. Can't go into the detail as the legal craic is still ongoing. However, insurance wise, I lost my 4 years of no claims and my premium went from €73 / month to just short of €400 / month on my renewal. Anyone else that would quote me told me I wouldn't get better than my own insurer and they knew that when giving me my renewal price. Saying that, they did say they'd reinstate my no claims if the court decides in my favour. Since then I've started building up no claims again, and as a result my premium has dropped to €270 / month on my last renewal.

Sorry to hear that. That's a huge jump. 450% if my maths is correct? Wow! I'll be taking a bus from April I guess when I'm due in for renewal!

I had a step back protection. So won't lose the full thing but at least 30% of it or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that 3k from a main dealer? Try a small place should be cheaper. Using non own parts could make a big difference aswell

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that 3k from a main dealer? Try a small place should be cheaper. Using non own parts could make a big difference aswell

By using the approved repair centre I don't lose any remaining warranty on the car as well as I get a life warranty for labor and parts thus if I'm going to keep a car for the next few years it gives me at least a some piece of mind. And it's 3k from an approved repair centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

By using the approved repair centre I don't lose any remaining warranty on the car as well as I get a life warranty for labor and parts thus if I'm going to keep a car for the next few years it gives me at least a some piece of mind. And it's 3k from an approved repair centre.

You won’t lose your warranty:
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/servicing-it-s-your-choice-1.1157738%3fmode=amp

As for life warranty for labour and parts. That sounds like something made up. What part of the car will they cover that they won’t say is from wear and tear. If there’s a genuine issue odds are that it’ll be covered by a recall

Anybody here ever heard or tried to use a lifetime warranty on parts and labour ?

What make of car is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

Because it's only valid for your current insurance provider, which means that they can charge you what they want at renewal. If you go to change company at renewal, your NCB cert will still show that you had an accident/claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Eireann81 wrote: »
    Because it's only valid for your current insurance provider, which means that they can charge you what they want at renewal. If you go to change company at renewal, your NCB cert will still show that you had an accident/claim.

I had an accident a few years back, my fault, my insurance actually was lower on my renewal as I had full NCB. It took a few years to sort out and eventually the Insurance company sent me out a letter to say that it had been finalized and the total cost was close to a quarter of a million. I think I stayed with the same insurer for a few years as the renewals were competitive nut I did change and having a claim in the previous 5 years didn't affect me as I had a full NCB.

I had an accident a few years back, my fault, my insurance actually was lower on my renewal as I had full NCB. It took a few years to sort out and eventually the Insurance company sent me out a letter to say that it had been finalized and the total cost was close to a quarter of a million. I think I stayed with the same insurer for a few years as the renewals were competitive nut I did change and having a claim in the previous 5 years didn't affect me as I had a full NCB.

The damage done was quarter of a million?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The damage done was quarter of a million?

Not too frequent, but not too unusual at the same time

Typical settlement at that level
    Insured's Own Damage €15k
    3rd Party's Damage €15k
    3rd Party verified costs (medical bills, loss of wages, car hire) €20k
    3rd party Injury Cost €120k
    3rd party legal costs €40k
    Defence legal costs €40k

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

I don't know what insurer you're with but with RSA they put €150 "Claims loading" on my renewal after an accident. Premium didn't change much, but the claim wasn't settled yet.

Not too frequent, but not too unusual at the same time

Typical settlement at that level
    Insured's Own Damage €15k
    3rd Party's Damage €15k
    3rd Party verified costs (medical bills, loss of wages, car hire) €20k
    3rd party Injury Cost €120k
    3rd party legal costs €40k
    Defence legal costs €40k

That actually puts things into perspective. And here I am worried about my 3k ðŸ˜

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I don't know what insurer you're with but with RSA they put €150 "Claims loading" on my renewal after an accident. Premium didn't change much, but the claim wasn't settled yet.

I am with AXA and since I was at fault there's nothing to settle other than the repair which will be done after New year's. Pitty because my renewal is in April :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

try zego insurance. Also with them its claims in the last 3 years not 5 years. You may have to put in a black box i.e. dash cam and tracker

robie5 wrote: »
    try zego insurance. Also with them its claims in the last 3 years not 5 years. You may have to put in a black box i.e. dash cam and tracker

I think I would rather pay the extra premium than have the surveillance tracking me all the time. I got the dash cam straight after!

Advertisement