Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre cable installation from pole to house...?

• 16-02-2017 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Since before Christmas we have fibre lines installed outside our house which is great.

We had an Eir Rep call around Yesterday evening selling us a Eir 150mb/s BB & Phone package.
    We are currently with Vodafone 5 mb/s B.Band & Phone contract until 08/2017.
    Just a few questions..?

1)The Eir Rep told us if we want to get 150mb/s Speed we need to change provider to Eir as Vodafone cannot supply 150mb/s speeds as they use the original copper cables from the poll to the house and If we sign up (which i did..??) Eir will run a new Fibre cables Direct to the house/Router through our existing underground conduct...

(Q 1) Do Eir not upgrade all houses (From poll to house) with fibre cables even if they are a Vodafone or any other customer.?

2)The eir Rep also said the need to run the fibre cable direct to the router....
    (Q 2) what if my router is not near my telephone point at the side of my house...will the eir installer run the fibre cable inside to where i want it..?

(3) Vodafone said they will charge me a fee (€150+) if i leave them before the contract is up on 08/17..

(Q 3) Vodafone said they can provide me with 150mb/s from the 8.03.2017 so not sure who to believe...??

If you can assist me with my questions i would appreciate it.

Rdgs Ron.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Row wrote: »
    Hi,
    Since before Christmas we have fibre lines installed outside our house which is great.

We had an Eir Rep call around Yesterday evening selling us a Eir 150mb/s BB & Phone package.
    We are currently with Vodafone 5 mb/s B.Band & Phone contract until 08/2017.
    Just a few questions..?

1)The Eir Rep told us if we want to get 150mb/s Speed we need to change provider to Eir as Vodafone cannot supply 150mb/s speeds as they use the original copper cables from the poll to the house and If we sign up (which i did..??) Eir will run a new Fibre cables Direct to the house/Router through our existing underground conduct...

(Q 1) Do Eir not upgrade all houses (From poll to house) with fibre cables even if they are a Vodafone or any other customer.?

2)The eir Rep also said the need to run the fibre cable direct to the router....
    (Q 2) what if my router is not near my telephone point at the side of my house...will the eir installer run the fibre cable inside to where i want it..?

(3) Vodafone said they will charge me a fee (€150+) if i leave them before the contract is up on 08/17..

(Q 3) Vodafone said they can provide me with 150mb/s from the 8.03.2017 so not sure who to believe...??

If you can assist me with my questions i would appreciate it.

Rdgs Ron.
    Hi  Row,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing your experience with us. :D

(Q1)The service offered to you was our eir Fibre Extreme service (FTTH), you can read more on this
    here.  eir is a direct customer of Open eir and we currently provide this service via our wholesale department, Open eir. You can view more on open eir here  and also view the deployment plan for both efibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and efibre to the home (FTTH) services.  Fibre lines will only be installed when a FTTH package is ordered, either by eir or a provider ordering through openeir. The eir fibre line runs adjacent to the existing phone line.

(Q2)The openeir FTTH install guidelines are - 
    • The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) will be the Network demarcation point
    • eir will always be responsible for the installation of the ONT
    • eir technician will install the ONT as per the workmanship standard specification
    • The location of the ONT may be influenced by the cable entry point and power availability. Power shall be supplied by the end-user
    • A pre-terminated fibre patch cord usually of 1m length is used to connect the Optical Distribution Point (ODP) to the ONT
    • FTTH data port extension may be installed beyond the ONT
    • The eir technician will test the line on completion of the installation 
    The fibre itself only runs to the ONT, from there to the modem it is over Ethernet.
    The FTTH data port extension (Ethernet cable) can be done when the modem is not near the entry location of the fibre.

(Q3)I am aware Vodaphone have their own technology for FTTH but their deployment plan generally doesn’t crossover with Open eir and the FTTH rollout. I would be unable to comment on their deployment plan and this is something I would recommend querying with them.

Thanks,

Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Andymcc

I had a technician out who was unable to connect me but he is saying the fibre cable needs to go into the router and not into the box on the outside if the house if this is the case does that mean I can't use the normal phone line already built into my house the technical wording above has me confused 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi Andymcc,
    The Eircom Tec fished in a new fiber cable from the pole outside my house into the same undergrounds conduit alongside my existing copper tel cable and up to the small eircom box on wall... he then drilled through the wall and into the room that was the fair side of the outside box and mounted his fibre distribution box there and router as per normal but lucky I have a spare cat 5 cable there so I used that to fit the router elsewhere.
    Over all very happy with fibre and still using the old copper for my phone.

@eir rep..do you offer voice over fibre line or do i still have to use my old copper in the future for my landline...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Row wrote: »
    Hi Andymcc,
    The Eircom Tec fished in a new fiber cable from the pole outside my house into the same undergrounds conduit alongside my existing copper tel cable and up to the small eircom box on wall... he then drilled through the wall and into the room that was the fair side of the outside box and mounted his fibre distribution box there and router as per normal but lucky I have a spare cat 5 cable there so I used that to fit the router elsewhere.
    Over all very happy with fibre and still using the old copper for my phone.

@eir rep..do you offer voice over fibre line or do i still have to use my old copper in the future for my landline...?
    Hi Row ,

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

After 10 months I think the op is sorted....

Thanks to all for your replies,
    Yes got it sorted in the end..went with fibre to the standard location.. Drilled tru the wall at the back of the telephone external box into room behind (bedroom) and luckily had a cat 5 there which ran to my attic where I fitted my router... Not ideal but did the job.
    Any new builds I recommend fitting fibre or a conduct with pullwire inside from the telephone ex box to the attic or whatever location you want to fit your router...ðŸ‘
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

PattonJ wrote: »
    [snipped]

I'm afraid that post is spam for some crappy company. There is no third party installation. If you haven't been included there is no way of getting connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As navi said, openeir dont entertain 3rd party installs. They do it or no one does it out

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davrac

Hello Eir.

I am an Eir customer with a Eir Landline, the broadband is only available at 1mb, therefore i have a 3rd party wireless solution, which is not fit for purpose.

FTTH is on my road and the nearest pole with fibre is approx 100m (3 poles away).

Several of my neighbours eircodes pass for FTTH, mine and my closest 3 neighbours fail.

I work in IT and really need it as it will permit me to work from home 2 days per week.
    I also have 4 children all at different stages in university, and it is beyond important that they have a broadband solution to permit them to undertake research and use college online resources, and distance learning platforms.

How can i request FTTH to be installed on the pole outside my house and FTTH brought into my house?

I would take 2 1000Mb connections one for my home office, and one for the house.

Regards
    David

Advertisement