Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sword in the storms pretty good as is the next rigante book, midnight falcon.

Finally finished the saga of the seven suns, 6 years later, its tough waiting on a book year by year. Love the way anderson builds characters that you really really hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I just finished "John Dies at the End" by David Wong.

It's retardedly awesome. Or Awesomely retarded. I loved it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just started "Fast-Friend" and "Starlady" - two George RR Martin stories in one novella.

Damn you, George, get your swords out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kismet80 wrote: »
    but i'm a bit iffy about starting The Lies as i'm not sure what to expect,
    "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" was one of the best books I've read in the last year, and I read a fair bit. Excellent fantasy and a refreshing change from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Yeah another recommendation here for "The Lies of Locke Lamora". Picked it up on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sequel to it "Red Seas Under Red Skies" is pretty entertaining too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Iain M Banks - Matter and really enjoying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frenchtaxi

I'm listening to the audio book right now. I don't even need to stop while I'm working :) I don't see myself going any further in the series tbh. It's a bit too immature for me.

what do you mean immature?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

kencleary wrote: »
    Yeah another recommendation here for "The Lies of Locke Lamora". Picked it up on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sequel to it "Red Seas Under Red Skies" is pretty entertaining too.

seconded, good read, refreshing take on the fantasy genre.

Currently ploughing through Steven Erikson, started early July and now on the Bonehunters.

I'm really enjoying this series, hope the standard can be maintained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Sword in the storms pretty good as is the next rigante book, midnight falcon.

These are both good reads.

Im in the middle of The voyages of Jerle Shannara atm and they are OK, Something to tidy me over till The Return of the Crimson Guard (September publish date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

growler wrote: »
    Currently ploughing through Steven Erikson, started early July and now on the Bonehunters.

I'm really enjoying this series, hope the standard can be maintained

I assure you the standard continues till the end of Toll the hounds. savage fantasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Read "The End of Eternity" by Asimov, which was enjoyable.
    Struggling through the 3rd Thomas Covenant book atm, not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Now reading the Fatal Revenant - Last Book in the last chronicles of Thomas Covenant, very enjoyable, and very heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 @lantis

The Atlantis Blueprint, by Rand Flem-Ath and Colin Wilson - Have only just started, but it seems quite interesting and will most likely keep my mind occupied with thoughts about long lost civilizations for quite some time..

Finished the 3rd book in Thomas Covenant, as well as Woken Furies by Richard Morgan.
    Now re-reading Reality Dysfunction as I can't remember what happened in it and The Neutronium Alchemist is the only un-read book I have left!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Reaper's Gate by Erikson, seriously annoyed I didn't wait til all 10 of them were done before starting the series, as i have no idea how i'm going to remember all that when the final one comes out, another book would be required to give a decent recap of the first 9

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just finished re-reading the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

Very good series of books.
    Totally agree here :)
    mordeith wrote: »
    Age of the Five is a good trilogy as well
    And i've been told to buy these, will do as soon as i can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd. Its like a mix of moorcock and feist i'd say, very good imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm reading HP Lovecraft at the mo, simply brilliant, SciFi/Horror at it's best, The Mountains Of Madness and The Call of Cthulu are genius, and they are making the former into a movie at last.
    AvP nicked shamelessly from MoM to be honest, Antarctica ruins and all that.

Other than that I'm waiting for the new Pratchett, more from Peter F Hamilton, from John Birmingham, from Iain M Banks, seems very quiet in the SciFi world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just getting stuck into The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. It starts well. Haven't read fantasy with this flavour of black humour in a good long time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kismet80

Excellent didnt realise it was out already, must see if i can beg/borrow/steal a copy for a couple of hours :)
    having said that i'm only going to read it because i've read Eragon and Eldest, and i'm not as convinced that they are as good as they should be,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

growler wrote: »
    Reaper's Gate by Erikson, seriously annoyed I didn't wait til all 10 of them were done before starting the series, as i have no idea how i'm going to remember all that when the final one comes out, another book would be required to give a decent recap of the first 9

I find Wikipedia a great place for re-caps of this series & others like George RR Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series (if you haven't read his books, do so now!!).

Reading Conn Iggulden's Lords Of The Bow now, a historical/fantasy account of the rise of Genghis Khan. Read his Conqueror Series too, pretty darn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

eVeNtInE wrote: »

I loved those books (Eragon, Eldest) - didn't know the most recent one was available until I read your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Just finished Dan Abnett's "Legion" - Part of the Horus Heresy series

One of the better books in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

Finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds really enjoyed it have ordered the 2nd book from Amazon - Redemption Ark , can't wait to get stuck in.

While I'm waiting for that to arrive I've started The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrommbie ( Book 1 of The First Law Trilogy )

I'm about half way through it now and loving it...

Then I have Brisingr waiting and Abhorsen after that...So I've a few weeks of good reading ahead of me I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just finished a couple or Arthur C Clarke's I never got around to before...

The Fountains of Paradise, and The Songs of Distant Earth.
    His writing style is like an old armchair - comfortable!

About to start "Pavane" by Keith Roberts later. :)

Reading "Dangerous Games", which is a book of short stories edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois mainly on future "reality tv".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

A few chapters into Return Of The Crimson Guard. It's rather good indeed.

Advertisement