Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'm amazed the showers have missed me all day. I don't think i'll escape for much longer.
    Line of clouds over limerick looks quite high on the 4 o'clock sat.
    Another line over the Mayo/Galway border moving this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Yeah these straight northerlies are a lot kinder to Galway than the North westerlies. Unfortunately they also mean less snow for us.
    First rain just arrived here now, but dying down again.

Belting down in Grangecastle Business park now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah these straight northerlies are a lot kinder to Galway than the North westerlies. Unfortunately they also mean less snow for us.
    First rain just arrived here now, but dying down again.

Can't believe you managed to drag snow into the discussion. :-)

Can't believe you managed to drag snow into the discussion. :-)
    Sorry I forgot this was a summer thread but a northerly always makes me think of snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mj30

A little off topic but this will have an impact on future summers in ireland and i was wondering if any body knows anything about the the upcoming flip of the (AMO) atlantic multidecadal oscillation to its negative phase and its implications on weather in Ireland.

From my research it suggests that we will be getting cooler and dryer for between 15- 30 years until it turns positive again.

There are many implications for Ireland good and bad if indeed this is the case. Just wondering if anybody enlighten me on this natural cyclical phenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Galway City Weather - Summary for Summer 2015

Cool, wet and windy

Temperature (°C):
    Mean 14.2
    Minimum 6.0 on 09/06/2015
    Maximum 22.3 on 03/07/2015
    Highest Minimum 14.8 on 30/06/2015
    Lowest Maximum 12.0 on 01/06/2015

Rainfall (mm):
    Total for period 269.4
    Wettest day 22.8 on 18/07/2015
    High rain rate 82.8 day 06/07/2015
    Rain days 66
    Dry days 26

Wind (mph):
    Highest Gust 41.0 on 02/06/2015

Pressure (hPa):
    Maximum 1040.00 on 08/06/2015
    Minimum 989.10 on 01/06/2015

Total hours of sunshine 440.2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Does anyone know how rainfall amounts for July and August compared to "normal" rainfall for those months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

tanko wrote: »
    Does anyone know how rainfall amounts for July and August compared to "normal" rainfall for those months?

Depends; in Dublin and much of the East coast - average; in the West and South above average but not abnormal for those locations! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Depends; in Dublin and much of the East coast - average; in the West and South above average but not abnormal for those locations! ;)

What about Cavan, Id be surprised if it wasn't "abnormally" high for those two months here this summer.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    What about Cavan, Id be surprised if it wasn't "abnormally" high for those two months here this summer.

Above average is not the same as "abnormal"...even in Cavan!

Seriously, much of the country away from the East coast (from Dublin south) had a wet July/August...but in most areas there was nothing exceptional or abnormal.

Ballyhaise had 144% of average rainfall for July/August.

That is wet, but it isn't uncommon for a month or two to have well above or below average rainfall anywhere in Ireland.

You'd need to get to 20% (on the dry side) to maybe 250% (on the wet side) to describe any single month as "abnormal".

Two months at zero or 250% would indeed be abnormal...but we're getting into statistical deviations from "average" when we talk about "abnormality"

A two month period with 150% rainfall occurs (I'm guessing) at least once every three years at most stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lumi wrote: »
    Galway City Weather - Summary for Summer 2015

Cool, wet and windy

Temperature (°C):
    Mean 14.2
    Minimum 6.0 on 09/06/2015
    Maximum 22.3 on 03/07/2015
    Highest Minimum 14.8 on 30/06/2015
    Lowest Maximum 12.0 on 01/06/2015

Rainfall (mm):
    Total for period 269.4
    Wettest day 22.8 on 18/07/2015
    High rain rate 82.8 day 06/07/2015
    Rain days 66
    Dry days 26

Wind (mph):
    Highest Gust 41.0 on 02/06/2015

Pressure (hPa):
    Maximum 1040.00 on 08/06/2015
    Minimum 989.10 on 01/06/2015

Total hours of sunshine 440.2

It felt every bit as crap as those stats suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Taken from the monthly data on met.ie September 2014 average temperature 15.2c at Shannon Airport has beaten all three summer months this year. July the warmest was only 14.7c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think most of the posts here sum up that 2015 is a summer we'd like to sweep under the carpet and just forget about, next summer can't be much colder really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

There were no summer. End of story. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

This summer in Leitrim. Possibly the worst for temp and rain in a long time. Not just my view, all the neighbours to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Daily temp anomaly for Summer based on IMT mean of 11 stations. Daily deviations are based around the short 2007-2015 period.

361023.PNG

Overall, the overall summer average worked out at -0.8c in this series, which interestingly, is similar to the 60 year 1961-2010 climate mean anomaly.

All data C/O Met Eireann.

Here locally in Galway east. my summer rainfall total percentage came in at 115.6% of the 1981-2010 norm. So not so bad and certainly not as wet as 2012.

My local rainfall totals (mm)
    June 41.9
    July: 126.3
    August: 103.9

New Moon

Oneiric I dont know how close you are to Athenry but I saw that it was -1.7C below its seasonal average, so it was definitely a cold one there. I'm 2 miles away from the station there and while I found it cold this summer I wouldn't have thought it was that much below average!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Since the summer is over, can someone tell me how this one compares to the last 5? County wide not just east or west.

Is there an Autumn/Winter thread up yet?

Roll on sub zero temps! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ComfortKid wrote: »

Is there an Autumn/Winter thread up yet?

There is both, look in the weather fourm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric I dont know how close you are to Athenry but I saw that it was -1.7C below its seasonal average, so it was definitely a cold one there. I'm 2 miles away from the station there and while I found it cold this summer I wouldn't have thought it was that much below average!.

I'm about 17 miles north of Athenry. I noted throughout this summer that afternoon temps at Athenry were usually around degree or two warmer than here which could be due to Athenry haveing more shelter from nearby hills etc. I would tend to look at Claremorris readings for here locally as they tend to be more representative overall for my patch.

Living in what proved to be one of the coldest areas in the country this summer, can't say I found it cold or anyway uncomfortable at all, so I would agree with you there that the anomalies seem lower than they actual felt.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Summer of 2015 was the 18th worst out of the past 50 years according to Met Eireann. So while not a great summer, certainly not a worst ever.
    The Poulter Index is a method of rating the summer weather (June to August), using a formula based on mean temperature, rainfall and sunshine for selected stations, i.e. the higher the index, the 'better' the summer weather. This summer index was the 18th lowest in the last 50 years. The summer of 2012 had the lowest Poulter Index value during the last 50 years.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=332

Summer of 2015 was the 18th worst out of the past 50 years according to Met Eireann. So while not a great summer, certainly not a worst ever.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=332

But that's a combination of average in the East and much worse than average in the West.

Can the index be calculated separately for the Dublin stations and, say, those on the west coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

I'm living in South-Kerry very close to the ocean in a mountainous region.
    Especially compared to last year (with a beautiful spring and summer), this summer was incredibly wet and overcast.
    Here in South-Kerry, there really weren't any stretches of nice sunny days at all, sometimes a decent day, but followed by rain far too often.
    Yesterday, I had a gutfeeling that the recent absence of rain was about to end, so I did some woodcutting and took the quad out.
    It proved to be a good decision, as it has been raining since last night now continuously...
    This non-summer is definitively over...good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

yeah looks like samhradh is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Post yours here

Grange's Summer 2015 report

Exceptionally cold, wet and dull.

Rainfall: Wettest since 2012. Extremely wet days in second half of August and first days of July.
    Rainfall total of 185.7mm was 117% of the LTA - my wettest Summer since 2012. Over 50% of the total was recorded during some exceptionally wet days during both July and August, though August started very dry. My first very wet day was the 4th of July with 33.5mm which was also my Summer's highest daily fall, my wettest day in July since 2009 and during Summer since 1993. I didn't have such a day until August 19th when I recorded 22.2mm. I had my second highest daily fall though on August 23rd with 32.3mm which was my wettest August day since 2014. Meanwhile, June was a much quieter month with a long dry spell from the 3rd to the 24th, my longest such event since July 2006. June had only 15.1mm, July had 81.2mm and August was surprisingly wetter than July with 89.4mm - though July had more wet days. I recorded 34 wet days, a little below average for Summer, largely due to the dry spell in June.

Temperature: Third coldest Summer on record. Very little warm days.
    Mean temperature of 12.2c was -1.0c below the average with each of the Summer months being colder than normal and July & August significantly colder than average. Both July and August had deviations of average as low as -1.2c whilst though June was very cold for most of the month, the last few days rose the mean temperature to -0.7c below normal (thus without these warm days, June would have been -1.9c below normal!). There was a large absence of warm days (22c or more) throughout with only June 30 and August 18 reaching at least 22c, the lowest for any Summer on record whilst there were also a large absence of mild days (20c or 21c) throughout with only (not counting the warm days) June 23 & 29, July 1-3, August 2/3/9/12/13 & 14th. Though August had more mild days than the exceptionally cold Augusts of 1986 and 2011, the number of mild days during this Summer was the lowest on record also. My maximum temperature was 25.7c on June 30th, my highest for JUNE since 2009. My minimum temperature was 0.4c on June 9th, second lowest for Summer on record after -1.1c recorded in August 2014. Overall, it was the coldest Summer since 2011.

Sunshine: Dull but not exceptionally so, nevertheless, dullest Summer since 2008.
    Sunshine total of 454 hours was 96% of the LTA - my dullest Summer since 2008. July was the only dull month though which recorded 110 hours and my second dullest July on record. Both June and August recorded their sunshine totals around 110% or more of average, but both months in general were dull for most of the period. Only June 9/10 recorded values of 14 hours or more, my lowest since 2012. June recorded 198 hours and August recorded 146 hours, both their sunniest respective months since 2006 and 1995 respectively. I recorded only 2 dull days though.

So all in all, a very unremarkable Summer

6541 wrote: »
    yeah looks like samhradh is over.

It is now! (as the commentator said in 1966) :)

Advertisement