Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules Updated 10/9/2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭big_drive

Who sent you the email

€12.94 sounds like the VAT + An Post's €7 handling fee (at least I think it's €7)

Email from An Post, i used address pal. I see €3.50 was An post fee which I'm fine with but I can't understand how value was decided at 41.05 so vat at 9.44

The only thing was it's an item of clothing which is second hand? They'd hardly put it's new value on it?
    It's genuinely used with no tags etc. But could they think I asked the seller to remove tags to try avoid something. I can clearly show I paid £20 for it not including the postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

big_drive wrote: »
    Email from An Post, i used address pal. I see €3.50 was An post fee which I'm fine with but I can't understand how value was decided at 41.05 so vat at 9.44

The only thing was it's an item of clothing which is second hand? They'd hardly put it's new value on it?
    It's genuinely used with no tags etc. But could they think I asked the seller to remove tags to try avoid something. I can clearly show I paid £20 for it not including the postage
    How much was Address Pal before their handling fee?
    Add the item value and addresspal charge to get vat + €3.50

There will be a difference in price than having it posted direct. I think also, the bigger/heavier the item, the higher the price from addresspal = higher vat.

whiterebel wrote: »
    €6 lower collection was scrapped in early January. Revenue removed all mention of it from their documentation.
    Not doubting it, but I can only find this mention of it -
    3.9 Waiver of small amountsThe practice of not collecting Import VAT amounting to €6 or less on any one consignment is likely to be discontinued shortly. This is in line with a similar change on the Customs duty side when thepractice of not collecting amounts less that €10 was discontinued when the Union Customs Codecame into operation on the 01/05/2016.
    From here - https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/import-export-policy/customs-manual-on-import-vat.pdf

Which was updated in February.

Suckit wrote: »
    How much was Address Pal before their handling fee?
    Add the item value and addresspal charge to get vat + €3.50

There will be a difference in price than having it posted direct. I think also, the bigger/heavier the item, the higher the price from addresspal = higher vat.

Address pal fee is 6.50 but that's a totally separate payment

This isn't a big or heavy item, it's a pair of trousers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Believe me, there was a big row about it on here and consumer issues in January. There was a poster who kept posting the links on revenue that the lower limit was €6, and as fast as he posted them, they were removed. There is still one or two documents floating around, but its definitely gone. They changed it to lower limit valuation of €22 instead, which is going next month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

€6.50 is added on to the value for the VAT calculation.

As above. €6.50 added.

So the item was €24.39 + €6.50 = €30.89 + €7.10 VAT of the total price - This is a handy site to use - https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php
    €37.99 + €3.50 handling should be the total paid.
    Believe me, there was a big row about it on here and consumer issues in January. There was a poster who kept posting the links on revenue that the lower limit was €6, and as fast as he posted them, they were removed. There is still one or two documents floating around, but its definitely gone. They changed it to lower limit valuation of €22 instead, which is going next month.
    Gotcha. I didn't/don't doubt you. Just that I couldn't find anything about it at all. Now I know why. Thanks.

Suckit wrote: »
    As above. €6.50 added.

So the item was €24.39 + €6.50 = €30.89 + €7.10 VAT of the total price - This is a handy site to use - https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php
    €37.99 + €3.50 handling should be the total paid.

Gotcha. I didn't/don't doubt you. Just that I couldn't find anything about it at all. Now I know why. Thanks.

Brilliant thanks for that explanation, that probably explains it.
    I wasn't aware the 6.50 is added too. It's an eye opener really, the cost has crept up to almost what item would be brand new

Brilliant thanks for that explanation, that probably explains it.
    I wasn't aware the 6.50 is added too. It's an eye opener really, the cost has crept up to almost what item would be brand new

First post in the thread explains most of what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

Has anyone successfully reclaimed UK VAT on something that they imported ? Their revenue office hasn't replied to my enquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

sbkenn wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully reclaimed UK VAT on something that they imported ? Their revenue office hasn't replied to my enquiries.

Surely that is a query for the UK tax authorities. Nothing to do with revenue here.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Surely that is a query for the UK tax authorities. Nothing to do with revenue here.
    I did say "THEIR revenue"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you claiming as an individual or as a business?

An individual. I have paid IR VAT on import

An individual. I have paid IR VAT on import

There are procedures for businesses to reclaim UK VAT on imported goods but I am not aware of anything similar for individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

NM, just found that the VAT limit means the order must be in Ireland on 30th June at the latest to avoid payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Just had a shipment held by customs from Singapore, seller put incorrect valuation on package ($38 in instead of $250 inclusive of $60 shipping).

Its actually items of clothing, does anyone know what kind of duty i'm going to have to pay on this?

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Just had a shipment held by customs from Singapore, seller put incorrect valuation on package ($38 in instead of $250 inclusive of $60 shipping).

Its actually items of clothing, does anyone know what kind of duty i'm going to have to pay on this?

Mod - See first post in thread. You're going to have to find the tariff codes for the duty rate. Link is in the post

Mod - See first post in thread. You're going to have to find the tariff codes for the duty rate. Link is in the post

Thanks a million

Cannot for the life of me locate the correct code for clothing, does anyone know it off hand?

I have feeling charges will now be applicable on value I paid for items ($250 instead of $38 which is fair enough), but I would like to know how much these charges are before committing to DHL delivering.

I see a previous poster mention FedEx deliver before seeking charges, I do not want to receive request of £250 import tax to be paid after they clear item following my proof of purchase being provided. I'd request it be returned to sender instead to be honest.

I had something similar with FedEx before, I received my items but FedEx sent me import taxes bill a few weeks later. Bought 2 items from Tarte cosmetics for €82 and later received letter seeking €39 taxes, how was this calculated? Is VAT not only 23%?

Just trying to get an idea of how much i'll be stung for on $250 worth of clothing from Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Thanks a million

Cannot for the life of me locate the correct code for clothing, does anyone know it off hand?

I have feeling charges will now be applicable on value I paid for items ($250 instead of $38 which is fair enough), but I would like to know how much these charges are before committing to DHL delivering.

I see a previous poster mention FedEx deliver before seeking charges, I do not want to receive request of £250 import tax to be paid after they clear item following my proof of purchase being provided. I'd request it be returned to sender instead to be honest.

I had something similar with FedEx before, I received my items but FedEx sent me import taxes bill a few weeks later. Bought 2 items from Tarte cosmetics for €82 and later received letter seeking €39 taxes, how was this calculated? Is VAT not only 23%?

Just trying to get an idea of how much i'll be stung for on $250 worth of clothing from Singapore.

I bought a CD from Japan last month - cost was €45. The Fedex bill was €25 - made up of €10 VAT + €15 handling charge.

I bought a CD from Japan last month - cost was €45. The Fedex bill was €25 - made up of €10 VAT + €15 handling charge.

Vat is 50% for CDs?

Vat is 50% for CDs?

No - the VAT was 23% - €10 based on a €45 price.

Then Fedex lob on €15 as a "handing" fee.

So I paid €45 + €25 = €70

Could be worse; UPS fee is €18.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Hi,

If I order an item of clothing (shoes) from a UK company and it states that import duties are included in cost (when I select Ireland as delivery destination), does this mean that I will not be charged any duty or vat when they are delivered to me.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes, that should be the case. It would help if you actually said what company it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Sure - it is brownsfashion.com who are based in the UK.

Any change of view now after seeing that?

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Sure - it is brownsfashion.com who are based in the UK.

Any change of view now after seeing that?

Mike

Ireland is on their list of countries where VAT/imports are covered so you should be fine.

From today Aliexpress are adding Irish VAT at checkout time. There should be nothing further payable when it arrives in ireland.

https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Amazon still have errors in their VAT system - they had them in 2017-2019 as well
    For example: hearing aid batteries are exempt in IE, but 23% is added on checkout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭paul71

Vat is 50% for CDs?

Vat is 23%, Import duty is seperate.

Ordered a BD from Amazon UK last weekend. Cost £17.99. As was customary for items under the threshold, they removed the UK VAT and didn't add on any Irish VAT (aka Import Fees Deposit) so I was charged £14.17.
    Posted 2 July.
    Arrived today 3 July. No extra charge from An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You got lucky.
    By rights you should have been charged both VAT and a handling fee by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Has anyone ordered from iherb recently? I'm looking to place an order that looks like this:

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I see the below message when I go to checkout but will I need to pay additional an additional customs charge or has it already been factored in?

"Starting July 1st, the EU ended the low-value consignment relief for shipments equal to or less than €22 for goods to the EU from outside the EU based on arrival date. From July 1st, based on the order date, iHerb is registered in the Import-One-Stop-Shop (IOSS) and will collect, declare, and pay the VAT to the tax authorities for distance sales of imported goods with a value not exceeding €150."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

sterz wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered from iherb recently? I'm looking to place an order that looks like this:

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I see the below message when I go to checkout but will I need to pay additional an additional customs charge or has it already been factored in?

"Starting July 1st, the EU ended the low-value consignment relief for shipments equal to or less than €22 for goods to the EU from outside the EU based on arrival date. From July 1st, based on the order date, iHerb is registered in the Import-One-Stop-Shop (IOSS) and will collect, declare, and pay the VAT to the tax authorities for distance sales of imported goods with a value not exceeding €150."

Its hard to say, based on that order summary. It depends on the actual products ordered. Some iHerb products would be zero rated, others would attract 23% VAT.

Assuming that iHerb have set their VAT rates up correctly, and that shipping is properly treated for incoming VAT purposes, it may be safe to assume you'll be ok. But, without seeing the order detail, its not possible to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭davetherave

4.89 is 13.5% of the value for tax purposes €36.21 (goods plus shipping plus insurance).

Food supplements* are rated at 13.5%, so that would suggest they have something set up right, and are taking it at source, but as Tom says you'd want to know the specific goods to be sure.

* More info and examples here - https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-food-supplements.pdf

One product I'm looking to order appears on the list of examples provided in that link and the other doesn't (I know the list isn't exhaustive but the product is a food supplement) so I guess that will be the full cost and I won't be hit with an additional fee once they arrive.

I wish I knew for sure though as if I was to order multiples of these products it would reduce the cost per capsule somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

sterz wrote: »

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I ordered from iherb in April 2021 - chose DPD (not DHL) duty paid. Duties & taxes were €3.85. Total order was €46.61 (incl duties). Postage was free because the order was above the required level. Package arrived quickly and no further payment was required.

Thanks. Off-topic but what were the delivery times like? DPD is saying 15th - 22nd whereas DHL is 7th - 15th. Wondering if there's that much of a difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

From memory DPD were about 8-9 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

What's the process with An Post for paying vat/customs? Expecting something that's coming from Royal Mail via An Post. Is it an online payment? If so, will I get a text letting me know it needs to be paid or should I just keep an eye on the tracking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Do I need to pay extra if I buy from zavvi?

• Advertisement

Did you check the Zaavi website?

I don’t think they changed it since the vat exemption changed but it was fine ordering from them before cos everything was under 22€ usually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, their items have been inclusive of Irish vat since the start of the year with brexit.

I have received 2 requests by email for vat due. payment is online or in post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks for that. Got it delivered this morning and there was no VAT/Customs due for whatever reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

apologies if answered before. How do anpost figure out a value of an item if the sender has marked it down when posting? Especially say for a private sale? if someone from england posts a something of 1k value to dublin but marks it as value of 100 pounds.. this isn't an ebay purchase so there's no invoice/order details.

They'll probably google it. Not really a topic for discussion, as it's sailing close to the wind with the Forum charter and the first post in this thread.

If they see that the item is clearly undervalued they will look up the price of similar items and use that as the value.

How do you get a request for vat if you don’t have a registered email to your address so they leave a card in the box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Hello

Bought second hand phone on ebay, paid vat at checkout, seller left IOSS payment info on the package itself about payment. Package arrived to Ireland and anpost charged me with Vat again saying that there was no IOSS information. Send they emails 3 with questions after 3rd which was include pictures of the package with that information there were talking about....no response since then. Horrible ugly scammers they are, they do what they want. Is there any other way who I can contact. Its 34e but just for pure justice won't let them off the hook.

Regards

Advertisement