Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattery v's someone calling in

Options
  • 31-07-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi guys, we have a kitten (4 months old) and we are going away for a few days in a few weeks and I am debating whether to book her in to a cattery, or leave her at home have someone call in to her a couple of times a day to feed her/play with her. In my head, the pros of the latter are she would be in her own territory and she would have a lot more space. But I am worried about leaving her alone. Is she likely to get much interaction in a cattery? My worry would be she would get very little attention and would have very little space so she would be no better off than if she was left at home. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

The only catteries I've ever witnessed first hand were rows upon rows of cages, like in a vets.
    (I've volunteered in a few vets attached to catteries). It always seemed sad to me, they were let out for a little bit each day.

Have you considered pet boarding where the minder has the animal in their own home?
    We use a boarding service for our dogs as I hate the idea of kennels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to take B to the canine country club in Sallins for hydro... and always made a point of parking beside the cattery so I could look in at the cats sunbathing lol :D Our vet does boarding and sometimes we have spectators for laser therapy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I use a cattery for long stays away, a night here or there is friends calling in...

The cattery we use, has a proper cat lady. She will play with them and on some cases bring them into her house. She will also sent us pictures and text updates while we are away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I put my guys into a Cattery last year and was worried because they were 10 and never had been away from home before. I went around and viewed a few places, none of which I felt were “up to standard” because I would be extremely fussy. Then I went to see another place, and oh my god I would have stayed there myself. It was fabulous, they had their own “room”, access to play in the rest of the main area and a garden room which was fully secured so they could still enjoy some outside time. And best of all, there was a webcam so I could check in every now and again and see what they were up to. Really put my mind at ease being able to see them eat and drink because that’s what worried me most.
    I think they would have been more stressed by someone coming into their territory that they didn’t know multiple times a day, than a set up where everything was new. They had settled in a couple of day’s. Have them booked in again for later this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

someone calling in is fine with an older cat but for a kitten being totally alone is not nice a cattery is safer for a kitten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

4 months old is too young to be left alone or go to a cattery, have you nobody that could take her for the few days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

Really depends on how long a few days is, most we have left our cat with someone calling in is 2 days/ 3 nights, anything over that is the cattery.

the one we have used has a big communal area and individual rooms for the cats, we get updates ( depends on how long we are gone really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We get someone to call in if we're only gone for 2-3 days, but if it's longer than that we put her in a cattery. I've never seen a cattery where cats are kept in small cages like someone mentioned, they would usually have a small room to themselves. I would view the place beforehand to ensure it's suitable. In the cattery I use they let each cat out into the corridor twice a day (each cat individually) and play with them. I guess a kitten of that age might need more interaction than that, would a cat sitter be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I put my guys into a Cattery last year and was worried because they were 10 and never had been away from home before. I went around and viewed a few places, none of which I felt were “up to standard” because I would be extremely fussy. Then I went to see another place, and oh my god I would have stayed there myself. It was fabulous, they had their own “room”, access to play in the rest of the main area and a garden room which was fully secured so they could still enjoy some outside time. And best of all, there was a webcam so I could check in every now and again and see what they were up to. Really put my mind at ease being able to see them eat and drink because that’s what worried me most.
    I think they would have been more stressed by someone coming into their territory that they didn’t know multiple times a day, than a set up where everything was new. They had settled in a couple of day’s. Have them booked in again for later this year :)

Sounds great, can you name the establishment, location and an indication of the nightly charge please?

We took in a stray cat that frequented our door nearly 4 years ago now, she was quite timid initially but fully domesticated now but would still be apprehensive of strangers and has a severe dislike of other cats encroaching on her new territory. For a night or two we have got a neighbour who also has a cat to look in on her but for longer stays have used catteries. Initially the local vet in Clonsilla did boarding at €12 per night which was very convenient location wise as it’s a wrestle to get her into the carry case and she constantly whines when in the car. The local vet stopped boarding a few years ago along with the same chain of vets in Phibsborough who we have also used when Clonsilla were full. Thereafter we bought the cat to the same vet chain in Dunshaughlin, Meath which is a good 20mins drive away who were also €12 per night initially but increased their price to €14 per night a short while later with no discount for longer stays. The place is big with capacity for something like 40 cats but is well run, staff are nice and cat appears at ease in the place so no issues with it as such but from Jan this year they increased their price from €14 to €18 per night which is monstrous. Also we weren’t pre-advised of the price increase despite numerous contacts to confirm a recent booking so after a long weekend were faced with an unexpected bill which could have been so much worse after an extended stay.

A cat sitter sounds appealing but not overly keen on an initial stranger having the run of a vacant house. Anyone have other recommendations for catteries in west Dublin region and what generally are the going rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

There are some fantastic catteries and you should use one as your kitten is too young to be left alone. I have used some and they are brilliant , they have tonnes of space, plenty of things to look at, plenty of room to climb and a higher cubby hole that they can sleep in which makes them feel safe. They get plenty of attention. If I was stuck I’d use a Cattery at a vets if needed If they allowed boarding so the cat was safe. Mind you some catteries at vets are fantastic too. Just have a look at them and you’ll know fairly quickly whether you like them or not. You may have an issue with vaccinations if they aren’t up to date so look into this ASAP

• Advertisement
Advertisement