Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a bird - what to do?

Options
  • 23-07-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Found a bird on my side gate, perched a little higher than waist high. It’s late and while the bird is moving (tail bobbing) it hasn’t moved off the gate in past half hr. and unless it flies off it won’t have protection from the neighbouring cats. Not sure if injured or tired (it’s faced towards the gate) and unsure whether I should intervene but I’ve never seen a bird out this late at night.

I have some large cardboard boxes if someone thinks we should try catch it?

I have emailed the local wildlife foundation to see what they think but in the meantime, Any advice on here would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Hi,
    I just see this post, what a shame it's 2 days later... can you give us an update on the birdie? Did anyone get back to you from the local foundation? They reply with a few days delay, calls are even worse. But I know a volunteer who will come and collect the bird if needed.
    Let me know how you got on, what kind of a birdie is it and your location.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

No response from the local animal foundation unfortunately...I’d imagine they’re up the walls. I got the bird into a well ventilated box and into our shed for the night but unfortunately it didn’t make it. When I caught him, he didn’t make a great attempt to fly away so must have been fairly sick.

I think it may have been a greenfinch....not sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Curious1002 I've deleted your post. We do not allow badmouthing of animal welfare organisations here. In fact we do not allow rescues to be named at all. We have made exceptions for organisations that deal with wildlife in the past as people tend not to slate them. If posts like the one you made become more common we will have to think about rethinking the exceptions to the rules.

CB.

CB, i described my own experience with the animal foundation, twice in fact, and reading the above post we know that its their usual operational method. If you were so eager to remove something then you could have cut 1 line, not the entire post.

Here is my *edited xxx* post:

Poor wee little thing - you did all you could and big thanks for trying. The birdie must have clung to life when you found it. At least its death was not brutal and cruel in the mouth of a cat or a fox. I hope it wasnt in pain. You did the right thing for catching it and putting into a box. Sometimes birds hit a window or something and they need a bit of quiet dark place to regain their strength. But other times they are sick and beyond any help. Pity it didnt make it.

The Foundation and other support groups are notoriously bad in offering any quick help or respond with proper action. I remember I once found a beautiful adult wild pigeon that was just standing there with a bit of blood on the side, but otherwise looking "put together", no hanging wings, no visible broken bones, etc. I immediately rang the Xxx Foundation emergency number, left a voice message, then wrote a quick FB message and i saw that it was read by them within a minute or two but they got back to me 4 days later asking "how is the bird". That was a total joke. I brought it immediately to a nearby vet in a box, first vet didnt have a time for me because he had other appointments (the receptionist pointed out to 3 people waiting with their healthy looking dogs in the waiting room) so I had to catch a taxi to drive to another vet where they asked me to leave the bird, go home and wait for their call. I said that the money doesnt matter, I will cover whatever is needed and that I will look after the bird after it gets some painkillers and just to check if it's not broken anywhere, I said that even if it doesnt fly ever again I know a wonderful sanctuary in Navan that will accept it and give a forever home among other wild pigeons (I know the owner personally). They said "sure sure, go home" only to get a call 3 hours later to tell me that they euthanized it. I asked if it was beyond help and the nurse said "it's possible". I asked what does it mean and if it was checked by the vet and she said that the vet had other appointments and couldnt look into the bird. So I asked who eutanized it then and she said "I had permission from the doctor". WTF?

I dont know, Ireland looks after animals a bit differently than what we do in my country. It's the 2nd time here I am sent away with an animal after an accident only cos I didnt make a prior appointment. The Xxx Fundation is great with asking for donations but sucks big time to offer the actual help or advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

Oops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Dahdum wrote: »
    Found a bird on my side gate, perched a little higher than waist high. It’s late and while the bird is moving (tail bobbing) it hasn’t moved off the gate in past half hr. and unless it flies off it won’t have protection from the neighbouring cats. Not sure if injured or tired (it’s faced towards the gate) and unsure whether I should intervene but I’ve never seen a bird out this late at night.

I have some large cardboard boxes if someone thinks we should try catch it?

I have emailed the local wildlife foundation to see what they think but in the meantime, Any advice on here would be greatly appreciated!!

you can actually check it by yourself whether the bird is injured or not, firstly you can try to hold the wings. if the bird squeaking, it means the bird's wing are injured. do the same to the leg or any part that look likes injured

scilover wrote: »
    you can actually check it by yourself whether the bird is injured or not, firstly you can try to hold the wings. if the bird squeaking, it means the bird's wing are injured. do the same to the leg or any part that look likes injured

I suggest not to play doctor as we can injure the bird more when it twists and turns, we can even severe the wing or a leg accidentally especially when the bird is tiny. Leave it to the experts.
    When an animal looks injured or doesnt behave "normal" place it in the dark box with some soft paper on the bottom and go to the vet, dont call foundations for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If it was a greenfinch you found there's a good chance it had trichomonosis. There was an outbreak of it in my locality a few years ago, found 2 dying birds in my garden, sounds similar, they were lethargic, wouldn't eat and made no effort to fly away.

I contacted birdwatch Ireland, I think they might've been logging areas where it crops up. They told me to take down any bird feeders for a few months to disperse the local population of greenfinch as it spreads bird to bird in close contact such as at bird feeders. Had loads of greenfinches up until then but never had as many since then.

There's nothing you can do for them once they get it. I think it blocks they're throat and they starve to death unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Thanks zapperzy- that’s really helpful. We have some feeders in the garden and would have a large variety of birds including finches at them. I’ll take them down this week as a precaution.

Advertisement