Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD no friends

Options
  • 24-10-2019 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Started first year in UCD last month doing Dn700 Geography and Economics and im finding it real tough to make friends. Our class has like 200 people which makes it so tough and tutorials aren't going well considering thats your best chance of making friends i haven't done so anyway. Im in campus too so im so perplexed i cant seem to make any.Has anyone else had the same issue and are societies the best option? I don't know if they look good at all their mostly cringey anyway looking at their events. Any particular ones someone could recommend? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Started first year in UCD last month doing Dn700 Geography and Economics and im finding it real tough to make friends. Our class has like 200 people which makes it so tough and tutorials aren't going well considering thats your best chance of making friends i haven't done so anyway. Im in campus too so im so perplexed i cant seem to make any.Has anyone else had the same issue and are societies the best option? I don't know if they look good at all their mostly cringey anyway looking at their events. Any particular ones someone could recommend? Thanks

Something you're interested in. I joined rugby team when I was in university, not UCD, and made a whole heap of friends, still friends with many over 10 years later.
    Just pick something you think you might like and give it a go.
    Don't be thinking they are cringey, what's cringey about them?
    They are designed with the purpose of giving students a social life and meeting like minded friends

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Start with online interaction and work from there maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Defo join some clubs. as already advised. Join as soon as you can. Joining anything on your own can be tough, lots of awkward moments but persevere and it'll probably be worth it. Everyone has those moments (new job, new club - whatever) where you just want to run for the door. Stick with it and see if it works out. Without clubs, you could easily do your full 3/4 years in UCD and make no friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jbloggs1245

Without clubs, you could easily do your full 3/4 years in UCD and make no friends.[/quote]

Jeez you really think? Didnt think it could be that hard. And clubs would be better than societies i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

When I was in UCC a lecturer advised us to make a point of saying hello and chat to the people sitting either side of you in all lectures even just for a few seconds. I made a few really good friends that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jimmy_Conway

Has no friends

Thinks societies where you will make friends are cringe

Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jbloggs1245

Im not saying they all are its just that some of their events are awful I've been to a few

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Might be controversial but go out and get **** faced. Your on campus, weasel your way into pre-drinks and you'll meet people this way. You're only young once, enjoy it while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Without clubs, you could easily do your full 3/4 years in UCD and make no friends.

Jeez you really think? Didnt think it could be that hard. And clubs would be better than societies i assume?[/QUOTE]

OK that may have been a bit dramatic but UCD can be a cold place. You'll be grand. Talk to people. Know what's going on on your courses - people will like that.

Advertisement