Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Verify UCD PhD

Options
  • 14-07-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey,

Does anyone know how I can verify the PhD credentials of someone who claims they obtained their PhD from UCD please?

All suggestions much appreciated

LuvinLunch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

There is a verification link on the transcript.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LuvinLunch

And where would I find the transcript please? I don't know this person and when I search online for his name and UCD, I find nothing.

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Martina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Alternatively if you are not looking for a formal acknowledgement you can search for their thesis on the UCD library website
    http://ucd.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/advanced

Select dissertation/theses from content type and search by author name / year or faculty. You may not have access to the document but you will get a fair idea if a thesis was submitted and may be enough to satisfy your curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I was presuming he or she had applied for some form of job with a CV and transcript, in your case if their name isn't showing up on google scholar alongside publications I would be skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LuvinLunch

cunavalos i used that link and got what I needed. It's a really important piece of information and I'm very grateful to you for posting that link.

Thanks also TimeToShine. I was purposely being obtuse. Apologies for the lack of clarity. I'm grateful for your comments.

LuvinLunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭bren2001

I was presuming he or she had applied for some form of job with a CV and transcript, in your case if their name isn't showing up on google scholar alongside publications I would be skeptical.

That's a pretty poor way of assessing if someone has a PhD or not. A lot of academics don't have Google Scholar profiles and popping in someones name doesn't necessarily bring up their papers.

The easiest way of checking is through SciVal which is a helluva lot more comprehensive but it ain't free. The institutions library is usually a smart way of checking but not everywhere has this.

Advertisement