Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if we changed our timeline already?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Masteroid

Even if you support the many worlds hypothesis the existence of this universe is yet to be sufficiently explained.

I think there are many problems with time-travel the main one being that 'time' itself does not exist as an entity. The phrase 'travel back in time' would be more correctly stated as 'reverse all the processes in the universe that have occurred since the time we want to travel back to'.

Another issue might be that even if all events exist as an infinity of unique universes and time-travel were merely a process of hopping from one universe to another, since the universe is expanding, wouldn't a universe in the past be smaller than the universe of the present? We might be giants in yesterday's universe.

Then there is the first law of thermodynamics. If time travel occurred then energy that is present in the universe would be removed to another time and there would be extra, new energy injected into the universe in some other present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't really see time travel as possible, I see time simply as a measurement of distance and movement so to reverse time you'd have to make everything go back the way it came along the exact path it went forward on. That would seem impossible to do to an entire universe, the past is gone as far as I'm concerned it simply doesn't exist anywhere.

Advertisement