Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents Assocation's

Options
  • 03-08-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Housing Association's in new builds across the country have their tenants setting up residents assocations for the entire estate, most of the estates are private estates.

Should each tenant get a vote or should the Housing Assocation have one vote being a landlord of their homes?

Housing Assocation tenants are basically renters and fell under the RTB around 2016 however due to the assocations being charity's and not public services they use this to avoid certain parts of the law.

Is it right and legal for social housing to control the residents association of a private area given they are renters and not home owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Great start to 'segregate' renters from owners. That'll be a happy neighborhood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are they paying their fees? If so they have a vote.

If the estate is majority private it would only be possible for the HA tenants to control the association if the private owners don't participate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Is it right and legal for social housing to control the residents association of a private area given they are renters and not home owners?

Hi OP

i know you mean well but i have a couple of points i would like to make. The meaning of residents association = an association of the residents, wouldn't you concur?

Shouldn't that alone inform your query as to whether the housing association that has purchased/managed the properties or the tenants who live there be the 'person' on the residents association? Who better to know about issues that affect the people who live on the road?

hint: there is a reason its not called the 'Owners only not renters association'.

Now imagine if you had a rule that said people who live in 4 bed home get 4 votes each, 3 bed homes get 2 votes each, but those in smaller units get one vote each. you could justify this by saying they paid more for their homes, and so should have more of a say. would that be fair or equitable? i really hope you think not.

now consider if you say all the 'housing association, lets call them cluid' tenants together on your road only be entitled to one vote collectively. This would certainly mean their opinion would be suppressed - possibly the aim of such a measure. but why would that be fair or right? They are residents as long as they reside there. And their opinions should be equally as valued as those who have purchased their homes. oe those who privately rent etc. The alternative to to say those who own, or rent privately know better than the renters of cluid etc. This leads to voter suppression.

Imagine that principal applied to a general election. Should only property owners get a vote in general elections eh? that would do away with the danger of sinn fein etc eh? that would have a dangerous appeal to certain interests. But the principal of Universal suffrage is actually under threat in democracies like the united states where voter suppression is openly practiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Housing Association's in new builds across the country have their tenants setting up residents assocations for the entire estate, most of the estates are private estates.

Should each tenant get a vote or should the Housing Assocation have one vote being a landlord of their homes?

Housing Assocation tenants are basically renters and fell under the RTB around 2016 however due to the assocations being charity's and not public services they use this to avoid certain parts of the law.

http://acratu.com/
    These will answer all your questions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never heard of that body before and I've been aware of the operations of RAs in three different estates; one that's 48 years old and not a member. The transport related bits on that site look a bit personal hobby horse to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

L1011 wrote: »
    I've never heard of that body before and I've been aware of the operations of RAs in three different estates; one that's 48 years old and not a member. The transport related bits on that site look a bit personal hobby horse to me.

I have been a member of 4 RA in Dublin and all were in ACRA

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

I understand what you are saying, the problem I guess is The Tuath or Cluid houses get built first, the new build homes are sold to people who get mortgages, the board is setup and chaired by the Tuath or Cluid renters/tenants , Tuath or Cluid then apply for extended planning permission to build duplex units and new build estate are ending up with a new build estate of 50 to 55% social homes,

so one side of the estate unemployed, the other side eastern europeans working 2 jobs in multi nationals gone in work all day,

its a mad setup, avoid new builds

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Hi OP

i know you mean well but i have a couple of points i would like to make. The meaning of residents association = an association of the residents, wouldn't you concur? .

Your point of view makes sense I just have a bee in my bonnet, dont mind me.

The HA can apply for planning permission without ever involving the RA, though.

Even if they do build to >50% it's likely that owner occupiers will make up the bulk of the RA members

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

utmbuilder wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying, the problem I guess is The Tuath or Cluid houses get built first, the new build homes are sold to people who get mortgages, the board is setup and chaired by the Tuath or Cluid renters/tenants , Tuath or Cluid then apply for extended planning permission to build duplex units and new build estate are ending up with a new build estate of 50 to 55% social homes,

so one side of the estate unemployed, the other side eastern europeans working 2 jobs in multi nationals gone in work all day,

its a mad setup, avoid new builds

Unemployed......... Lol. People's views on social housing is so idoitically skewed it's amazing

• Advertisement

Great start to 'segregate' renters from owners. That'll be a happy neighborhood.

That’s how it is anyway. One of my neighbours loves reminding us that we’re only renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

It's a residents association. For ALL residents. It's to keep the grass mowed and pick up litter.

Why would you want only owners to be engaged in keeping the estate nice and clean and a happy place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A residents' association is usually just a fairly informal group of people with no legal standing who get together to keep things nice.

Many new developments (including of houses, not just apartments) have an OMC (Owner's Management Company), which is a very different thing. In an OMC, the owner of each "unit" gets a vote. So if there are 10 houses, and 5 are privately owned, and 5 are owned by a housing association, there are 10 votes in total.

Is it definitely an RA, and not an OMC? What kind of things are being voted on?

Advertisement