Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend away south east

Options
  • 20-03-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi
    Looking to organize a trip for some work colleagues over the spring/summer period. We’re playing one of the party’s clubs , Coolattin golf course so looking for tips on a second in the area up to 45 minuets from there with green fees up to €50.
    Help and advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

avud wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking to organize a trip for some work colleagues over the spring/summer period. We’re playing one of the party’s clubs , Coolattin golf course so looking for tips on a second in the area up to 45 minuets from there with green fees up to €50.

Where are you staying and what dates? Bunclody is the best parkland in Wexford (I'm biased as I'm a member) but Roslare for a links. European Club is only 30 minutes from Gorey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where are you staying and what dates? Bunclody is the best parkland in Wexford (I'm biased as I'm a member) but Roslare for a links. European Club is only 30 minutes from Gorey as well.

Thinking about a late May date, no accommodation booked yet that will depend on the venue of the second course. Am thinking of playing Saturday then a few drinks that night then the second course on the Sunday if we can get green fees obviously. Then heading home after a meal on the Sunday. Thanks for the tips and apologies for the vagueness but we’re only trying to plan it yet

Thinking about a late May date, no accommodation booked yet that will depend on the venue of the second course. Am thinking of playing Saturday then a few drinks that night then the second course on the Sunday if we can get green fees obviously. Then heading home after a meal on the Sunday. Thanks for the tips and apologies for the vagueness but we’re only trying to plan it yet

You'll get tee times in Bunclody on the Sunday I'd say but it would be €50ish, ring the club as soon as possible though to get your pick of times. Its only €35 on a Wednesday and that'll include an open competition if your dates are flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If you are playing Coolattin(great course BTW) you could play Mount Wolesley and depending on the number in your group you could book the houses on site to stay and play, well worth looking into it

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    If you are playing Coolattin(great course BTW) you could play Mount Wolesley and depending on the number in your group you could book the houses on site to stay and play, well worth looking into it

Thanks for the tip, good idea for accommodation also, appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've heard that Macreddin are planning an open scramble format for May 26th. No idea what the entry fee would be, but am assuming it would be in the 25-30 range. Macreddin would be well within 45 minutes of Coollattin. I'll see if I can find out more.

I think a lot depends where your staying to be honest.

If you stay in Enniscorthy Mount Juliet is an hour away and Faithlegg a little more.

If you stay in Gorey then Mcreddin is 35 minutes away, The European is 30 minutes away and Arklow is 25 minutes.

If you stay in Bunclody then you've Carlow 30 minutes away.

If you stay in Arklow then Coollattin is 30 minutes away and Druids Glen is the same.

There's a lot of clubs close enough in fairness and that's not including the likes of Wexford, Enniscorthy, Courtown if you are staying in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Coollattin, Mount Wolseley and Bunclody make a nice circuit. The accomodation options have been reduced by the closure of the Millrace Hotel opposite Bunclody so Mount Wolseley itself is the best bet.

First Up wrote: »
    Coollattin, Mount Wolseley and Bunclody make a nice circuit. The accomodation options have been reduced by the closure of the Millrace Hotel opposite Bunclody so Mount Wolseley itself is the best bet.

You can book the Clody Lodge in Bunclody. I think you need to ring them though as it nearly always shows as fully booked on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hi

Hi

I'm a member of Carlow Golf Club. If you wanted to be near a big town for the night out its an option. My brother arranges the same kind of trip each year also. He brings a group of 6-8 from the South West. Last year we stayed and played in Kilkea Castle. Lovely course. Amazingly reasonable due to the fact that it's recently re-opened and trying to build a following. We stayed Sunday so that might change the price but got dinner, b&b and golf. Lodges right on site and option of club house or castle to eat/drink.
    https://www.kilkeacastle.ie/golf/

Bunclody is a good option as well. I was going to suggest the Millrace hotel but I see now that it's being converted into a nursing home - so maybe not.
    Mount Wolsley is a lovely course and good offers on the deal sites for the hotel/golf.
    Rosslare links is a great course if you fancy some links golf and plenty of staying options.

• Advertisement

Jesper wrote: »
    Hi

I'm a member of Carlow Golf Club. If you wanted to be near a big town for the night out its an option. My brother arranges the same kind of trip each year also. He brings a group of 6-8 from the South West. Last year we stayed and played in Kilkea Castle. Lovely course. Amazingly reasonable due to the fact that it's recently re-opened and trying to build a following. We stayed Sunday so that might change the price but got dinner, b&b and golf. Lodges right on site and option of club house or castle to eat/drink.
    https://www.kilkeacastle.ie/golf/

Bunclody is a good option as well. I was going to suggest the Millrace hotel but I see now that it's being converted into a nursing home - so maybe not.
    Mount Wolsley is a lovely course and good offers on the deal sites for the hotel/golf.
    Rosslare links is a great course if you fancy some links golf and plenty of staying options.

Thanks for that Jespers, ours will also be a small group 8 to 12 max. Will look into your recommendations

Just bumping the thread... it’s down to Bunclody or Macreddin on the Saturday, Dates are Saturday May 25th with Coolattin being played on the Sunday the 26th. Again thanks for all the advice guys. We’ve guys off 12 to guys off 20’s, so any last opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

avud wrote:
    Just bumping the thread... it’s down to Bunclody or Macreddin on the Saturday, Dates are Saturday May 25th with Coolattin being played on the Sunday the 26th. Again thanks for all the advice guys. We’ve guys off 12 to guys off 20’s, so any last opinions?

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Macreddin is a tough hike. If you are all fit it should be OK but if you have any older/slower players they might appreciate a buggy.

First Up wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned but Macreddin is a tough hike. If you are all fit it should be OK but if you have any older/slower players they might appreciate a buggy.

Mcreddin do specials on two green fees and a buggy though so it's not to bad. I think it was €60 the last day I was there but that was winter.

I'm playing Bunclody today so I'll get a few photos for up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think I mentioned above that Macreddin were planning some sort of open on Sunday 26th. Well I've had that confirmed as an Irish Rumble with teams of four for €100. Since green fees are normally about €50 for a Sunday, that's a massive saving and a bit of fun too. You might want to change your schedule. ;)

Advertisement