Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertiliser

Options
  • 20-03-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

The Americans on YouTube always seem to be banging on about Milorganite as a great fertiliser. Is there anything similar available in Ireland?

I've just been using the evergreen lawn feed from woodies for the last few years. Happy enough with the results but was wondering is there anything better out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's a fertiliser made from sewage sludge. I'm not aware of an equivalent here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the 'urinate on your lawn' option is not far off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's another new product featured on YouTube now too. Carbon X.
    The user seems happy with the results.

The only equivalent on this side of the Atlantic I can think of would be from Carbon Gold.
    I know they treated Ascot racecourse with one of their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a fertiliser made from sewage sludge. I'm not aware of an equivalent here.

My septic tank overflowed a couple of years back. Is that equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lumen wrote: »
    My septic tank overflowed a couple of years back. Is that equivalent?

Why not. I bet it’s lush and green there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Many years ago, we used to spread our septic tank on the vegetable garden just before the winter frosts came.

Always had great veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

You could use what we call slob from the sea shore it would be difficult to dig tho , we use it on the farm great fertiliser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Many years ago, we used to spread our septic tank on the vegetable garden just before the winter frosts came.

Always had great veg.

Traditional, I've seen some very old Victorian septic tanks with hand pumps on them that could be used in much the same way.

I wonder if Chicken manure would fit the OP's rquirements https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Bord-Na-Mona-Growise-Chicken-Manure---10kg/9093023 .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

my3cents wrote: »
    Traditional, I've seen some very old Victorian septic tanks with hand pumps on them that could be used in much the same way.
    That's interesting.

Back in the day, the gardens of the big walled estates were carefully structured such that the lords and ladies could walk the gardens without seeing any vegetables, which they considered disgusting, and only suitable for the estate workers.

The explanation I heard was that the lords fed themselves on a diet of meat and fruit because those things were scarce, and so equated them with wealth and health (despite the consequent gout which they'd have avoided with a vegetable-based diet).

Whereas it might be that the veg were actually covered in human excrement. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lumen wrote: »
    That's interesting.

Back in the day, the gardens of the big walled estates were carefully structured such that the lords and ladies could walk the gardens without seeing any vegetables, which they considered disgusting, and only suitable for the estate workers.

The explanation I heard was that the lords fed themselves on a diet of meat and fruit because those things were scarce, and so equated them with wealth and health (despite the consequent gout which they'd have avoided with a vegetable-based diet).

Whereas it might be that the veg were actually covered in human excrement. :D

One walled garden I can think of had the septic tank just outside the main garden gate. The massive hand operated diaphragm pump (like a ships bilge pump) had a 2 inch pipe that when up and over so you could put a wheel barrow underneath it and pump the barrow full of ****. Obviously you'd be pushing that barrow very carefully but I did wonder if they used special water bowser barrows.

There is another story I know of a head gardener that loved his orchids which he grew really well and insisted that was because he provided the best conditions for them by spreading the orchid house floor with fresh manure. The actual reason was to keep his bosses particularly the lady of the house out his domain to stop them interfering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement