Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have Two dogs should I get a wirless fence

Options
  • 17-03-2019 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭

I have two Labradors they escaped 4 times.I live on a 3 arce site trying to think the best ideas to keep them in the garden and not go off.

I was thinking of a wireless fencing but wondering would It work because next idea is fencing with mesh wire, which could cost good bit of money not sure what to do any ideas will be welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

You're better off with an actual fence.

I can literally send you a post I saw with two Labs who were found with an electric fence collar on them, the fence failed. These fences fail all the time.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

rob808 wrote: »
    I have two Labradors they escaped 4 times.I live on a 3 arce site trying to think the best ideas to keep them in the garden and not go off.

I was thinking of a wireless fencing but wondering would It work because next idea is fencing with mesh wire, which could cost good bit of money not sure what to do any ideas will be welcome thanks.

couple of neighbours of mine, their dogs do trot up and down the road regularly. there wireless fencing doesn't seem to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Can you just fence PART of your property rather than the entire... we've enclosed about an acre with sheep wire. It encloses a big enough space for the dogs to have space to sniff/wee/wander and keeps the hens enclosed. I wouldnt touch wireless for dogs - you see too many escapees with their wireless collars on - when they get out they wont/cant get back in too. Dogs, even two together, just arent happy left outside all the time on their own - they want to be indoors with their humans - when left outside for hours on end, they will wander if at all possible. Secure fencing is the safest way to keep them safe inside. It wont keep them safe from someone stealing them if left outside when the house is empty.

Make sure by the way that your dogs are chipped and registered to you, so that if they do get out, a finder will hopefully take them to be scanned for a chip and call you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Would you put one of those collars on your kids to make sure they don't leave the garden? Don't be lazy/cheap and build a fence or enclosure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

rob808 wrote: »

Wireless fences are unreliable, and particularly for dogs that are used to escaping, are next to useless. Batteries run out, electricity gets cut off, dogs take the pain to get to the prize on the other side, plus there's no incentive to get back in.

If you don't get secure fencing or a dog run ASAP, you will soon have zero labradors. If you've 3 acres you're not exactly in the centre of town and it's lambing season. Your dogs WILL be shot if they are found roaming on farmland. They don't have to be chasing sheep, they just have to be there and worrying sheep. Every week there's articles about dog owner responsibility and graphic pictures of mutilated sheep and you've let your dogs escape 4 times. A secure dog run is a couple of hundred euro, a farmer charging you for loss of livestock will run into thousands. As could a motor or personal injury claim if your dogs get knocked down and damages a car or causes an accident. You're just gambling with their safety by not securing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Have a Rottweiler here and the wireless fence in him. Works very well and never left us down yet in the last 6 years. Just keep the batteries changed in his collar.

With the post above that person is on the ball. We’re bisy lambing now and we’re on high alert with stray dogs wondering the roads. From our person experience Labrador dogs are the most common dog to run cattle or attack sheep. We’ve shot 6 Labrador dogs in the last 10 years. From previous bad experience we shoot on sight.
    If any of ye are on Facebook a post by a young man has been doing the rounds since his dogs were shot by a sheep farmer on the side of the road.

Advertisement