Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's growing in my grass and how do I fix it!

Options
  • 08-03-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a relatively common question but I wanted some help from the more knowledgeable folk on this forum.

I have garden which was laid about 18 months ago.

All is fine in general but there are a couple of areas which are starting to become overgrown by the weeds in the picture.

Last year on the recommendation of the landscaper who sowed the grass I spread lime on it and he said keep cutting regularly and the grass will overpower it but it didn't happen.

Can anyone identify what the weed is and how I can kill it and go about restoring my grass...

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

Looks like Daisies, just use a small garden trowel, in under the root and pop them up and out. They spread over the grass when growing

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

scuby wrote: »
    Looks like Daisies, just use a small garden trowel, in under the root and pop them up and out. They spread over the grass when growing

I was thinking that but wasn't sure. There are an awful lot of them and about 3/4 of an acre of garden. Is there a spray or something I could use - I'd be digging them out for a month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

djd80 wrote: »
    I was thinking that but wasn't sure. There are an awful lot of them and about 3/4 of an acre of garden. Is there a spray or something I could use - I'd be digging them out for a month!!

You could probably get something in a garden centre etc, I had a handy size garden to do, so dug them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Any spray suitable for lawns will set the daisy plants back but you will need several applications. Regular mowing will keep them in check and eventually get rid of them. It's impossible to keep that size of lawn weed free unless you mow every few days and keep feeding and using weed killer.
    If you could change your outlook and accept that the lawn will never be perfect, you will save yourself grief and money and not damage the enviornment.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

You might find it very time-consuming and expensive - and possibly environmentally unfriendly - to maintain an area that size as pure green grass.

Those are daisies. They aren't the worst weed at all - they grow low and provide coverage. They're not like ragwort or dandelions.

And they are wildflowers so they have a value as that.

If you needed the lawn to be plain green for something like a party then just cutting it will take the flowers off the daisies and they will grow back again afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Thanks All

I don't mind the daisies themselves I just dont like the broad leafs that come with them. I wont be cracking up over it but if there had been a handy way to kill them in bulk I would have done it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worker bee wrote: »
    You might find it very time-consuming and expensive - and possibly environmentally unfriendly - to maintain an area that size as pure green grass.
    agree, lawns are overrated.

To kill in bulk you'll need a large pack of a 'weed, feed and seed' product.

But it is a weed killer which is not great for pets and kids - and the insects etc.

And the weeds will grow back again every season.

You can dig them out - kind of. I have done it on a smaller lawn - and with patches of clover. But again, they will grow back if you don't stay on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sheep! Borrow some sheep.

http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/wgrazing.htm

If there was actually somewhere that townies could 'borrow' a sheep for a week or however long it takes to eat the grass in a suburban garden I would totally be on for that.

We would absolutely mind her - though the kids' hearts might be broken when they had to give her back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If there was actually somewhere that townies could 'borrow' a sheep for a week or however long it takes to eat the grass in a suburban garden I would totally be on for that.

We would absolutely mind her - though the kids' hearts might be broken when they had to give her back.

A dog would probably find her and worry her or worse and sheep don’t like being on their own.a goat would do the job for you And they don’t mind being on their own

Ah, I'm only joking anyway - kind of.

We're total townies. It's an enclosed garden - no dogs have access at all.

The kids would have her tormented - she'd be petted and groomed to within an inch of her life. And they would be devising treats for her. She'd never be able to be 'just one of a flock' ever again.

Though seriously, if this 'mind a sheep or goat' became a real thing I'd be totally in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plant a bit of woodland. less hassle in the long term than a lawn, somewhere interesting for the kids to play in, good for wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ah, I'm only joking anyway - kind of.

We're total townies. It's an enclosed garden - no dogs have access at all.

The kids would have her tormented - she'd be petted and groomed to within an inch of her life. And they would be devising treats for her. She'd never be able to be 'just one of a flock' ever again.

Though seriously, if this 'mind a sheep or goat' became a real thing I'd be totally in there.

You’d get a goat for small money they would do the job for ya

Thread definitely derailed now.

I don't want a permanent goat - more like a foster goat.

Most townies in my area wouldn't have room/food for one all the time. My kids love that zoo programme where a creature has to be hand reared - when they were younger they genuinely believed there was some sort of register like jury duty and we might get the call to mind a sad goat or cub or something!

Sorry - back to the daisies - learn to love them, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You’d get a goat for small money they would do the job for ya

Goats are browsers, not grazers. They'll eat everything but the grass!

What you want is wallabies. Nice soft webbed feet, very shy.

You need good fencing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It won't be too long before monoculture grass becomes very unfashionable and everyone will be encouraging all sorts to grow in it.

Mildly interesting that I have some woodland which has lots of common weeds growing, along with millions of bluebells, but not a blade of grass. You would think there would be the odd tuft of grass, but nada, zilch.

yep, same here. i only have a tiny patch - roughly the bottom 15 foot of a suburban garden (about 40 foot wide) and there's no grass under the trees. there *is* robin run the hedge at the moment, plus some brambles and wild rose seedings, but the brambles are easy to keep on top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've considered that if I had the space for a lawn I'd sow clover instead; low growing, nice flowers, good for the bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dig them out. Fertilise and put small amount of seed down.

Then get a robot mower. The mulching and regular cutting should keep it in check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Hi All

I have a relatively common question but I wanted some help from the more knowledgeable folk on this forum.

All is fine in general but there are a couple of areas which are starting to become overgrown by the weeds in the picture.

Last year on the recommendation of the landscaper who sowed the grass I spread lime on it and he said keep cutting regularly and the grass will overpower it but it didn't happen.

Can anyone identify what the weed is and how I can kill it and go about restoring my grass...

Thanks a lot
    Common daisies.

How to treat: I fertilise the lawn first and a few days to a week later, i apply the herbicide (i use grazon 90 but a few applications are needed).
    Feeding the lawn and weeds first has 2 benefits: the new growth on the weeds is more susceptible to the herbicide and as they die back, the grass has been fed and is better suited to take over the bare patches where the weeds were.

So, in April, feed the lawn and on a dry, still day, spray the weeds. Don't mow until the weeds visibly change colour and wilt. Then if you want, you can feed the lawn to drive it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

A dog would probably find her and worry her or worse and sheep don’t like being on their own.a goat would do the job for you And they don’t mind being on their own

This is absolutely not true. Goats only thrive when they have company. However the other company doesn't have to be goats - they are very happy with sheep or donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

Those are daisies. They aren't the worst weed at all - they grow low and provide coverage. They're not like ragwort or dandelions.

a worker bee dissing dandelions...:confused:

:D
    Very good - I must have developed 'champagne' tastes along the way.

Plenty buddleia, clematis, raspberry flowers, tulips, hyacinths, cyclamen, primroses and other friendly flowers at my place for any visiting worker bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I've chamomile and pile root in my lawn, basically I leveled it off, sowed a wild mixture of everything, and I've a small meadow.

For the life of me I don't know where the pile root came from.

Green lawns are so uncool, as bland as concrete.
    So 90's lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

agree, lawns are overrated.

i let everything and anything grow in mine. couldnt be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How short are you cutting it? You need to keep the grass at 2.5-3 inches or it won't smother anything out. For new lawns it's cut long, cut often.

I'm not totally opposed to green lawns/ patches of grass. Grass regenerates quickly and well which is handy if you have children/animals scuffing it up.

And weeds such as dandelion don't offer the same low ground cover as grass. It's much easier for an infirm person to walk across a flat lawn than a wildflower meadow or plot overrun with dandelions.

I'm definitely not a fan of wall to wall grass which is boring and hard to maintain. But grass can be an extension to the indoors so you can pop children outside to play on it. But I do prefer plenty raised beds, bushes, shrubs, trees and climbers around the edge - or through the middle - of that grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tacklebox wrote: »
    I've chamomile and pile root in my lawn, basically I leveled it off, sowed a wild mixture of everything, and I've a small meadow.

For the life of me I don't know where the pile root came from.

Green lawns are so uncool, as bland as concrete.
    So 90's lol

Never heard of pile root- does it have other names?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hi All

Thanks a lot
    They're daisies.

Human urine from the male sex will kill them and bring your grass on.

You can thank me later. :D:D

Advertisement