Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shower running out of hot water quicker than normal

• 01-11-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a mixer shower fed from a pump which pulls hot water from the hot water tank (essex flange) and cold water from the cold water tank.

We use to get easily 20 mins of hot water and now we are getting 5 mins max. The rest of the hot water taps in the house are still piping hot but the shower is running cold. We have not changed our heating schedule either.

Ive checked the hot water pipe feeding into the pump and it seems to go cool after about 5 mins so I'm ruling out the mixer taps and pump as the source and leaning towards some problem with how the water is being heated in that tank.

Any ideas of what i could check next?

Other possible causes, heated water from boiler not hot enough? Cold water filling the tank up too quickly? Hot water coil inside tank?

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It could be the cartridge in the shower itself but more likely the pump needs repairing /replacing.

What's the make of the pump?

How old is the pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there still hot water in the tank ?

Common cause of this could be the element has scale build up and is actually not heating enough water anymore. It usually the simplest explanations that are the fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It could be the cartridge in the shower itself but more likely the pump needs repairing /replacing.

What's the make of the pump?

How old is the pump?

I don't think its the shower cartridge or pump as the hot water feed into the pump is running cold after 5 mins so not making it that far.

Pump is stuart turner eco, 1.5bar

listermint wrote: »
    Is there still hot water in the tank ?

Common cause of this could be the element has scale build up and is actually not heating enough water anymore. It usually the simplest explanations that are the fault.

Yeah there is as the sink and bath taps still get really hot water when the shower is running cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

With an essex flange its possible to have cold water at that level in the cylinder and still some hot left further up. But I suppose you understand that.

I assume your hot taps is supplied from the same cylinder and not a combi boiler.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    With an essex flange its possible to have cold water at that level in the cylinder and still some hot left further up. But I suppose you understand that.

I assume your hot taps is supplied from the same cylinder and not a combi boiler.

Thanks, yeah I know enough to be dangerous :) The taps are supplied from the same cylinder alright. The puzzling piece is that the water from shower worked fine up until this week.

Actually I told a porky, I had the system heating only water up until now, this week I switched over to heating both water and central heating. Could there be something in this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do you have a pump overrun that might be cooling the cylinder? Do you have a boiler stove?

Puzzling thing is that the taps are hot (therefore top of cylinder) and water from Essex is cold. I can’t get my head around that, unless as I suggested in my first post.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Do you have a pump overrun that might be cooling the cylinder? Do you have a boiler stove?

Puzzling thing is that the taps are hot (therefore top of cylinder) and water from Essex is cold. I can’t get my head around that, unless as I suggested in my first post.

Pump overrun doesnt ring any bells. Don't think so. We don't have a boiler stove. Yeah, a fecking mystery!

Actually, I did remove the pump and mixer tap as the problem. But is it possible that a faulty tap mixer or pump could use up the hot water faster than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benjovenjo

Did you ever get this sorted? Just wondering as have similar issue and can't make head nor tail of it. The shower runs out of hot water after about a minute but there is still plenty of hot water in the tank as evidenced by the hot water coming out of the taps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

benjovenjo wrote: »
    Did you ever get this sorted? Just wondering as have similar issue and can't make head nor tail of it. The shower runs out of hot water after about a minute but there is still plenty of hot water in the tank as evidenced by the hot water coming out of the taps.

If it something that has just recently started to happen then it is one of two problems.
    Either the thermostatic cartridge on the shower valve needs replacing.
    Or, the hot water is excessively hot and the thermostatic cartridge is functioning correctly to prevent scalding.

Advertisement