Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Good morning Mr. Magpie", hit me...

Options
  • 16-12-2016 1:16am

So if my wife and I are driving along and we see a magpie, we have to greet it with a "good morning" or "good afternoon", or else we'll say "hit me" and touch each other's hands. Not so much superstition, more of a routine now.

That's pretty much it. I guess I should throw this one open and ask a more expansive question, anyone else have any quirks, superstitions or routines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thats gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Jenny Hanley ..... 'nuff said! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'll always salute a Magpie but don't do the good morning afternoon thing.
    If it's only one though I'll look around and see where his buddy is though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I always make sure the magpie has a friend nearby, I don't rest until I find the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My wife says, "Hello Mr. Magpie, where's your brother?"

I still don't understand WTF people are on about talking to magpies. I don't know why she does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I live a nonsense-free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

endacl wrote: »
    I live a nonsense-free life.
    how dull.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Splitting poles...if when out and about an object (it's usually a traffic sign pole but anything will do) comes in between us she'll run back and run round my side of it.

Sometimes I'll split on purpose at the last second and she won't notice and I'll tear off running like a loon roaring split pole and she has to run back round and theirs me half a mile down the the road sprinting, lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Itchy nose, tap her hand.

And she after rubbing her nose with it, feck sake.

Splitting poles...if when out and about an object (it's usually a traffic sign pole but anything will do) comes in between us she'll run back and run round my side of it.

Sometimes I'll split on purpose at the last second and she won't notice and I'll tear off running like a loon roaring split pole and she has to run back round and theirs me half a mile down the the road sprinting, lol.

Oooooo that's delightfully odd. The respect for Mr. Magpie usually takes place in the privacy of one's car, but that one is a very public demonstration!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

So if my wife and I are driving along and we see a magpie, we have to greet it with a "good morning" or "good afternoon", or else we'll say "hit me" and touch each other's hands. Not so much superstition, more of a routine now.

That's pretty much it. I guess I should throw this one open and ask a more expansive question, anyone else have any quirks, superstitions or routines?

I really don't think you should be driving at your age.

You must be, what, 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Good morning mr. magpie :D

dIcktZx.jpg

We have a friend who is very superstitious about magpies. When she see's a single one, she bows and says, "Hush your Majesty ", and turns round three times.
    Walking down the street, it's sometimes like being with an escapee from an Asylum.
    She is from Killarney, so perhaps that explains it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Years ago when people used to wear hats, they used to tip their hat or cap to a lone magpie or you would be cursed with bad luck.

I try to tell myself that superstitions are just silly, but I'm still not happy when I see one little fcuker on his own :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I live beside a park that has magpies in such large numbers that the "One for sorrow, two for joy..." thing is nonsensical unless I raise the poem number by an order of magnitude. "10 for sorrow, 20 for joy..."

Magpies are bolshie feckers who terrorise the local cats and dogs and have seemingly eliminated all other birds from the area.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I salute them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I used to work with a woman who took that magpie sort of thing really serious. For instance If you touched your nose you had to shake her hand or someone would end up in a fight or something ridiculous like that. If you wouldn't shake her hand she got stressed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I love magpies, but don't believe in the "One for sorrow, two for joy" rubbish, or the "Good morning Mr. Magpie" thing. I just think they're beautiful, intelligent creatures.

The only routine that I liked was when I was travelling with my ex (with her driving) outside of the county, when we'd cross the border back into Kildare, I'd give a really big sigh of relief. The first time I did it was after a fairly long drive, so when I noticed that it annoyed her (especially since she was doing all the driving) I had to continue it.

Advertisement