Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been to Scotland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I've never been but I'd love to see the highlands. Billy Connolly did a great tour of Scotland on tv. The highlands were breathtaking.

In the episode where he went to the Caledonian Canal you will see a scene where a large fishing boat goes past, a 55footer called "The Seven Sisters" which is rare in those tight canals. I was workign on that boat when it was filmed. We were taking it from Fort William to MacDuff where she was to be put up for sale. Only recently I found out she was in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Was there several years ago, a fine country I have to say. Skye and the area around Glencoe are some of the most spectacular places in the world IMO. Edinburgh of course is a lovely city (was lashing when we were there though, we could barely see the castle from the bottom of the hill :P), Glasgow was a bit rough I thought but was interesting it its own way.
    Only place I wouldn't go back to is Fort William, fairly sad town tbh, which is a shame given all the landscape around it. It's like Athy plonked into the middle of the Highlands.

Each to their own...I liked Fort William, and would go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Each to their own...I liked Fort William, and would go back.

We used to drive from Oban to Fort William just to get a McDonalds Big Mac!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

We used to drive from Oban to Fort William just to get a McDonalds Big Mac!

Big Mac, also known as a Scottish salad. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As I said before, I live here, idefinitely at the moment, no plans to return home, but if/when I do move back, I'll tell you what I'll bring back with me... the word 'reprobate', they use that word so well, it's the most stunningly articulate insult you could imagine.

That and bringing a hip flask with some Lagavulin to any occasion!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Went to see the Pandas back in June.

<3 pandas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Gubbermint letting us down again!
    Why haven't we got The Rockies?
    We should have the Serengeti Plains in Offaly.

Are you just trying to act the spanner or something ?

Did I ever mention the government ?

Maybe unlike you I don't blame the government for every fooking thing that Ireland has or hasn't.

Ireland has some nice places and some nice friendly people, but some of us who have actually seen and visited other places can acknowledge that there are nice places elsewhere and nice people elsewhere.

Some people in Ireland appear to believe that this island is so special and we are so special, when really we aren't.
    We have shyteholes, we have shytehouses just like most if not all other places in the world.

Scotland has similar landscape to parts of Ireland (Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Galway), but there is a hell of a lot more of it in Scotland.
    Yet some here think we are so special.

And yes the Rockies are special and make our mountains look like ant hills in terms of size and ruggedness.
    But going out for a walk on our mountains can be damn special as well.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

jmayo wrote: »
    Are you just trying to act the spanner or something ?

Did I ever mention the government ?

Maybe unlike you I don't blame the government for every fooking thing that Ireland has or hasn't.

Ireland has some nice places and some nice friendly people, but some of us who have actually seen and visited other places can acknowledge that there are nice places elsewhere and nice people elsewhere.

Some people in Ireland appear to believe that this island is so special and we are so special, when really we aren't.
    We have shyteholes, we have shytehouses just like most if not all other places in the world.

Scotland has similar landscape to parts of Ireland (Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Galway), but there is a hell of a lot more of it in Scotland.
    Yet some here think we are so special.

And yes the Rockies are special and make our mountains look like ant hills in terms of size and ruggedness.
    But going out for a walk on our mountains can be damn special as well.

Are you in Mayo? There's a transatlantic whoosh gone right over your head there.

I highlighted the word "shame", shame would imply we have some sort of say in the fact that out landscape pales in significance to Scotland's.
    Hence, the Scottish landscape, while incredible and I agree with you is significantly more impressive than the Irish landscape it doesn't put it to "shame".

My post was tongue in cheek on the "shameful" nature our landscape.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Are you in Mayo? There's a transatlantic whoosh gone right over your head there.

I highlighted the word "shame", shame would imply we have some sort of say in the fact that out landscape pales in significance to Scotland's.
    Hence, the Scottish landscape, while incredible and I agree with you is significantly more impressive than the Irish landscape it doesn't put it to "shame".

My post was tongue in cheek on the "shameful" nature our landscape.

Jaysus use one of those icons as my sarcasm detector is not always on.

Also lets not start going down the road on the precise definition or semantical nuances of words or we will be here all day.

My point still stands on why did you have to drag in the government.
    Although come to think of it Irish Water could have dramatic influence on our landscape.

Now that that grenade is in I am off. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Came to Glasgow as part of my railway graduate training course in 1993. Planned to stay for a few years, get some experience and then move back to Dublin. Did not work out that way mainly due to the boom in Dublin and 23 years later, I and still here working and love the place

As regards the rest of Scotland, I have been everywhere the railway goes apart from the Borders area

Came to Glasgow as part of my railway graduate training course in 1993. Planned to stay for a few years, get some experience and then move back to Dublin. Did not work out that way mainly due to the boom in Dublin and 23 years later, I and still here working and love the place

As regards the rest of Scotland, I have been everywhere the railway goes apart from the Borders area

At least you kept on track, one way at least. :D

Advertisement