Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to Scotland?

Options
  • 15-12-2016 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Haven't been for over 20 years, on the whole I've always found it a bit like a 'UK Ireland' if you get my drift, they're mostly friendly folk as well, it's a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush as regards sectarianism which I think is mostly a Glasgow region thing which gets diluted over in Edinburgh and ebbs away further from the Central Belt of the country where most of the population is, even that aspect of Scottish life isn't that clear cut as Scots Nationalists tend to be well disposed towards Ireland, North and South.

Been to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William, wouldn't mind seeing the islands off the west coast though or the Shetlands and Orkneys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Johnny Macwilliams

Have you been to wales next ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yes I have, thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Edinburgh. Beautiful place - absolutely wonderful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes. Spent a lot of time wondering about uncomprehending what people were saying to me, much like Ireland really. If I was ever in doubt I just pointed at the bottle of Irn-Bru that I or they had in hand and smiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Yes - Inverness, Fort William, Glasgow (briefly, for a lunch-stop), the Cairngorms (Kingussie specifically) and The Outer Hebrides.

• Advertisement

Flimpson wrote: »
    Edinburgh. Beautiful place - absolutely wonderful people.

Posh bastid. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I lived in Glasgow for a year. never been so cold in me life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yes.

Have you ever built a snowman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I spent 4 months in Ayr in 1994 and was very impressed by the people in comparison to the neighbours down south some of whom could be very anti Irish at that time and not afraid to let you know.

I attended both Catholic and local church services with no hassle, not really knowing what church to attend until I got the denominational details sorted out.

No one objected and it all sounded the same to me.

I was renting an apartment right across from a Church of Scotland Church and then later found out that the Catholic church was 3 miles away in another part of town. Nobody mentioned religion much and got on with their work in a fairly business like manner. There were no loud mouthed anti Catholic people like you would have found in Northern Ireland going by the TV new broadcasts of the time.

My Christmas memory of Glasgow was the street concerts given by the Salvation Army bands which were excellent and inspiring. This was new to me and struck me as a wonderful hybrid between a North of England Miners brass band and a Choir.

I attended a football match between Celtic and Aberdeen which was educational...the police were mounted on horses with full riot gear and the different supporters were kept to separate sides of the pitch. All pubs were closed up to 2 miles from the venue and colours were not allowed in case the other side were provoked. Because of the extraordinary organisation and security no fights or hassle were encountered on that day.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend a visit to Scotland at any time for an Irish person but wrap up well, I found it about 5 to 10 degrees colder than here (Dublin) and a lot wetter. Such was Glasgow in November '93

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

3 times, all for Rugby, back again next Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wrong, Isle of Man next then Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I was born in Scotland so yeah I have been there. I even remember the time when the Isle of Skye wasn't overrun by tourists stomping about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I lived there for 3 years and they were the best years of my life. I stayed in Glasgow, and have been to Embra, the Highlands and some islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Have you ever stuck your finger up your hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I've been everywhere in Scotland. All the towns and all the islands. You can roam freely everywhere too, even across fenced fields, you can pitch your tent and hike wherever you want (Not in someones garden or planted crops). A glorious place indeed. The scenery is like Ireland on steroids and the majority of things are cheaper to buy, the cost of living is way lower than Ireland. Irn-Bru in every shop, black pudding suppers in all the chippies, deep fried pizzas, (mars bars are a gimmicky bull**** thing) square sausage and in Glasgow, the morning rolls are the best on planet earth. All motoring costs are substantially cheaper than Ireland too apart from the price of diesel which is a little bit more expensive.

The Western isles are absolutely breathtaking, totally and utterly unlike anything in the rest of the UK. Gaelic is still strong there and is seen as cool unlike the hostility I see in the non-Gaeltacht areas in Ireland. (not so much Shetland and Orkney which are a weird combination of inbreeds unsure if they are Scandinavian or Scottish. You're Scottish you muppets, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

dd972 wrote: »
    Haven't been for over 20 years, on the whole I've always found it a bit like a 'UK Ireland' if you get my drift, they're mostly friendly folk as well, it's a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush as regards sectarianism which I think is mostly a Glasgow region thing which gets diluted over in Edinburgh and ebbs away further from the Central Belt of the country where most of the population is.

I've been to Scotland once,i was only 11 at the time but even at that age I noticed the divide. I wasn't there for a celtic match or something where it would have been more vocal or some other way its expected to be thrown in your face.I was on a family holiday with my best mate and his family in his da's fancy new campervan for 10 days so we went to 'nice places' too.That said,it was 1992 and things up north were mental.When things heat up in the north,particularly in Belfast it spills over into Scotland.Sectarianism has always been part of Scottish life mind,it works both ways,with Ireland.
    Conflicting religious beliefs and mass immigration between next-door neighbours is never a recipe for success.Syria comes to mind at the moment,the conflict in the Balkans before that sticks in my own mind.History will always repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I worked on the Shetlands for 2 years its a mental place.. no trees, windy as fcuk and the natives are pretty much Vikings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

I've been everywhere in Scotland. All the towns and all the islands. You can roam freely everywhere too, even across fenced fields, you can pitch your tent and hike wherever you want (Not in someones garden or planted crops). A glorious place indeed. The scenery is like Ireland on steroids and the majority of things are cheaper to buy, the cost of living is way lower than Ireland. Irn-Bru in every shop, black pudding suppers in all the chippies, deep fried pizzas, (mars bars are a gimmicky bull**** thing) square sausage and in Glasgow, the morning rolls are the best on planet earth. All motoring costs are substantially cheaper than Ireland too apart from the price of diesel which is a little bit more expensive.

The Western isles are absolutely breathtaking, totally and utterly unlike anything in the rest of the UK. Gaelic is still strong there and is seen as cool unlike the hostility I see in the non-Gaeltacht areas in Ireland. (not so much Shetland and Orkney which are a weird combination of inbreeds unsure if they are Scandinavian or Scottish. You're Scottish you muppets, get over it.

All 790 of them?

All the inhabited ones.

Also a large number of the uninhabited ones, I did a lot of kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The island of Britain should be renamed England because what used to be Scotland and Wales are pretty much Greater England at this stage as they are dependencies of London/England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

All the inhabited ones.

Also a large number of the uninhabited ones, I did a lot of kayaking.

Fair play. It'd take some effort to get to Rockall in a kayak :D

94 of the 790 odd are inhabited according to Wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The island of Britain should be renamed England because what used to be Scotland and Wales are pretty much Greater England at this stage as they are dependencies of London/England.

That'd go down a treat I'm sure, we can be a bit full of ourselves about our 'non-Britishness', why can't a Scots, Welsh or English person solely self identify as thus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wife is Scottish so yes.

Unfortunately where she hails from is a fu(king dive. She couldn't wait to be out of there. Absolutely loves it here in Ireland. Her family are decent honest hard working skins but not much in the way of the world about them. Beef pie on holidays sort.

Whenever we're feeling a little down on Irish living - a week over there where she hails from refreshes us no end. We come back with a bounce in our steps.

Pity really because many parts of Scotland are simply amazing. Ayrshire, Stirlingshire, Perthshire, the Highlands, the Islands, Edinburgh etc etc beautiful places. And very wealthy too. Pitlochrie is a dream place.

But by god when Scotland gets bad it's very very bad.

howiya wrote: »
    Fair play. It'd take some effort to get to Rockall in a kayak :D

94 of the 790 odd are inhabited according to Wikipedia

I should fess up to being Scottish, from one of those islands (clue in my username) and worked on fishing boats for years, was paid to survey the entire Scottish coast from Arran all the way up to Ullapool to report on the feasability of fishing for dog whelks on the west coast. Then I was a salesman selling energy for 10 years meaning I went to every town. So Im a xheat 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sugarman wrote: »
    I have...

...and Glasgow happens to be the grimmest place I have ever been to. Such a hole.

I mean I've been 3rd world countries and none of them have been as bad as Glasgow.

Edinburgh on the other hand.. is the complete polar opposite and one of the nicest cities with the friendliest of people, great shopping, great culture.. great nightlife. Just a great little city.

everyone remembers the first time they see the mound... Such an impressive and unexpected sight. Great city with a fascinating history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Och aye, laddie ....

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Loch Ness :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fine place with truly mighty scenery. Nice as some corners of Ireland are - they can all be trumped in Scotland.

The lowlands and highlands are quite different physically and culturally - you need to be aware of that before you visit.

It's also bloody big and the going is slow in remote places as the roads are just single. They have a system with passing places every few hundred yards and you have to watch way ahead for oncoming vehicles. Such roads go on for huge distances, unlike our short country boreens. Also, though we have islands off our coast, they are all small. We have nothing quite like Skye that can actually take many days to explore.

Apart from natural beauty, many of their towns are quite pretty with sandstone blocks and Scottish baronial style buildings.

We are ones to talk but they have strange placenames, all the more so as you venture northward as the Gaelic world meshes with the old Norse: Lybster, Ulbster, Shebster, Nybster, Mybster, Bilbster, Sibster, Killimster, Thrumster, Whalligoe, Papigoe, Staxigoe, Skullomie, Coldbackie to name but a few.

Advertisement