Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captain Marvel (2019)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

If there isnt a decent pickup in, back story-small skrimish-endless chat-massive battle formula to all these films, i think its time to call it a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Excellent choice in Larson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,489 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can we expect an appearance in Infinity War 1 or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can we expect an appearance in Infinity War 1 or 2

Avengers 3 & 4 will no longer be a two-part Infinity War story but iirc, Captain Marvel comes out between those 2 movies so I'd say we can count on seeing her in Avengers 4.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Avengers 3 & 4 will no longer be a two-part Infinity War story but iirc, Captain Marvel comes out between those 2 movies so I'd say we can count on seeing her in Avengers 4.

Infinity War is only going to be a single film now?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Infinity War is only going to be a single film now?

I just tried to find a source to support my assertion cos I can't remember where I read it but literally every article I've found has called Infinity War "the upcoming two-parter" so maybe take that with a pinch of salt for now...

I just tried to find a source to support my assertion cos I can't remember where I read it but literally every article I've found has called Infinity War "the upcoming two-parter" so maybe take that with a pinch of salt for now...

Got it:

"It's not really a two part story... We will retitle them."

http://collider.com/avengers-infinity-war-parts-1-2-retitled/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Dair76 wrote: »
    Excellent choice in Larson.

Indeed. I hope she fares better then the last actress to go from Oscar winner to comicbook character... Poory Halle Berry, still, with the right amount of booze on board Catwoman is a minor camp classic :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

It's getting to the point where we might need a 'Marvel' subsection to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CpMvXd5UsAAH8ho.jpg:large

Wow they haven't even started on a script yet.

Marvel Taps Geneva Robertson-Dworet To Script ‘Captain Marvel’
    EXCLUSIVE: Marvel has set Geneva Robertson-Dworet to take over and write the script for Captain Marvel, the Brie Larson-starrer that will be directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (Mississippi Grind). Meg LeFauve & Nicole Perlman originally were set to write the script, but LeFauve had to leave to direct the Disney Animation pic Gigantic with Nathan Greno

That creates a big opportunity for Robertson-Dworet, whose script credits include the upcoming Tomb Raider pic for MGM that stars Alicia Vikander and Gotham City Sirens, an expansion of the Suicide Squad franchise which David Ayer is looking to direct with Margot Robbie reprising her role as Harley Quinn for Warner Bros.

Robertson-Dworet has made the Black List twice, most recently for Ares, which got set at MGM and has Anna Foerster directing. She is repped by Management 360, WME and HJTH.

Disney will release Captain Marvel on March 8, 2019.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/captain-marvel-geneva-robertson-dworet-marvel-disney-brie-larson-anna-boden-ryan-fleck-1202149153/

Captain Marvel getting in some flight training.
    display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fupu56yrdn1b01.jpg
    display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redditmedia.com%2FIBz5yQ5BUKYphINOb0bD5mu5wenFiNS0rsNw5ymNFM4.jpg%3Fs%3Df03a9e1bd8a5d3f8cd5cf04d164aeec6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agent Coulson in the MCU again, that's pretty awesome - even if technically it's pre-Avengers and his 'death'. Now, if Agent May ever finds her way on-screen I think most Agents of SHIELD fans would just be over the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Presumably this is what all that de-aging has been building towards. I wonder will Fury have hair.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a pretty good recreation of the suit; keeps the colours and shape, kinda reminds me of Captain America's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wonder will we see a similar trend to CA where the first suit is quite colourful and a bit garish and subsequent ones (in Infinity War and beyond) take on a more and more understated, practical look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shouldn't one of marvel or American be promoted to major, to stop any issues with command when they are both working together.

Wouldn't want the fate of the world decided while they're arguing over who's in charge and who's plan to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Synopsis for the film
    Captain Marvel sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join an elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by Jude Law’s enigmatic commander. But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. And she’s got a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls — the notorious Marvel baddies made all the more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader Talos, who spearheads a Skrull invasion of Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can't wait for this , the pics look great too , Skrulls look okay will have to see in motion to decide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ok, the scenes are brief, but those shots of a de-aged L Jackson & Clark Gregg are just uncanny (though Coulson does look a little weird, probably just used to seeing the middled-aged version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm on board, had a good laugh that they just used a Blockbuster video to establish this is a 90s movie. Pretty sure that was Ronan from GotG in a shot wasn't it?

Also having her punch an old lady in the face right after the "Discover what makes her a hero" cards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Giggidy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They used the faux hawk mask :(

All the stuff shown without it I'd hope it'd be skipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Aside from the Blockbuster opening which I loved, the trailer doesn't really indicate the quality of the film. It could be great or rubbish - it is difficult to judge from that trailer.

Either way, I really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll probably go just to see how the end of A:IW ties in with the what we see here and I imagine the last scene or post credit scene will make reference to Fury contacting her and returning to earth or wherever it is shes hiding.

I reckon that they're going to have her ridiculously over powered here and in Avengers 4 but they've gone well down that path already with Black Widow and Captain America before her so I'll be reluctantly giving them a pass on that.

GavRedKing wrote: »

I reckon that they're going to have her ridiculously over powered here and in Avengers 4 but they've gone well down that path already with Black Widow and Captain America before her so I'll be reluctantly giving them a pass on that.

I don't think "overpowered" is the right term, AFAIK she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel heroes. And if 100% of the Avengers couldn't take out Thanos, and now there are only 50% of the Avengers + Captain Marvel, then she's going to have to make up more than 50% of the remainder.

Or maybe we find out she died in the Thanos snap too and this whole exercise was pointless :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Decent trailer, without being anything special. Guess they're keeping their powder dry for now, and not wanting to reveal just how powerful she is. Agreed on above though - the de-ageing effect is uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest

HYPE TRAIN!!!!!!

WOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

If one was to compare it to another recent female super hero trailer (you know who) it doesn't invoke a tenth of the excitement but it will probably still blow that movie out of the water cos they just know how to make em good here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest

I think the complete lack of any humour from the title character just comes across as very out of step for a Marvel movie.

youngblood wrote: »
    If one was to compare it to another recent female super hero trailer (you know who) it doesn't invoke a tenth of the excitement but it will probably still blow that movie out of the water cos they just know how to make em good here!

Wonder woman? I'd say 50% of the work in that trailer was the music (another 10% perhaps surprise over a DC film looking OK); WW has a pretty punchy, earworm style theme, whereas the MCU films famously downplay the use of iconic musical numbers.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder woman? I'd say 50% of the work in that trailer was the music (another 10% perhaps surprise over a DC film looking OK); WW has a pretty punchy, earworm style theme, whereas the MCU films famously downplay the use of iconic musical numbers.

Apart from the Avengers theme and Wakanda's theme there really isn't much good music in the MCU at all.

But yeah I'm excited for this purely based on the fact it's a new hero, I'm always more interested in that than something like an Iron Man 4, as much as I like the current characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Venom wrote: »
    I think the complete lack of any humour from the title character just comes across as very out of step for a Marvel movie.
    Not in a two minute trailer. Unless they were going all out comedy like GOTG, Antman and Ragnarok, I wouldn't expect to see much humour in the trailer. There wasn't any in the other films first trailers from what I can remember (Cap's films, Iron Man 1, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hype train

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Apart from the Avengers theme and Wakanda's theme there really isn't much good music in the MCU at all.

Don't forget the GotG. Fantastic soundtracks... that also bled into IW a little bit. Thor: Ragnorok also had a fun soundtrack.

As far as theme songs go though, yeah the MCU is largely forgettable. You can recognize as it's on the screen but honestly, I couldn't even hum the Avengers theme right now. Wakanda is about the most memorable theme.

Oh, and on the Captain Marvel trailer. It looks good. Definitely not an "OMG take my money" trailer with a huge action set-piece or quirky humour, but a solid trailer that sets up what the movie is about... which is fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno, I got a distinctly Green Lantern feel from it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

she doesn't seem to have a lot of personality in the trailer? I counted 2 facial expressions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't think "overpowered" is the right term, AFAIK she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel heroes. And if 100% of the Avengers couldn't take out Thanos, and now there are only 50% of the Avengers + Captain Marvel, then she's going to have to make up more than 50% of the remainder.

The real issue I have is its taken 3 Thor Films, 3 Avenger films, the deaths of Loki, Odin and half of Asgard for Thor to finally realise his power on screen.

Thor was one swing of Stormbreaker away from stopping Thanos so the rest of the Avengers were pretty redundant anyway. :o
    Or maybe we find out she died in the Thanos snap too and this whole exercise was pointless :pac:

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement