Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor witholding files

Options
  • 22-03-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    Has anyone been in a similar positiin or has any experience with the following: I am in a procces of changing a solicitor. My former solicitor however is not transferring my files, all fees have been paid. I am being misled with texts stating that they are going to be sent to the new solicitor „by the end of the week”, „today”, ect. I know for a fact they haven’t even been copied yet. My court day is coming very soon, I am being cought up between two solicitors and unable to get legal advice (as thenew solicitor shouldn’t advise without revising the files). I feel utterly helpless, deceived and tbh scared. Any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hello,
    Has anyone been in a similar positiin or has any experience with the following: I am in a procces of changing a solicitor. My former solicitor however is not transferring my files, all fees have been paid. I am being misled with texts stating that they are going to be sent to the new solicitor „by the end of the week”, „today”, ect. I know for a fact they haven’t even been copied yet. My court day is coming very soon, I am being cought up between two solicitors and unable to get legal advice (as thenew solicitor shouldn’t advise without revising the files). I feel utterly helpless, deceived and tbh scared. Any advice on what I can do?

Complain to the Law Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

That's ridiculous especially if you don't owe any money to the first solicitor. Definitely contact the Law Society first thing on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bubbles2018

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Complain to the Law Society.
    Will do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

Should the new solicitor not be a bit more pro-active then he appears to be from the OP.

If I was changing solicitors I would expect the new solicitor to be requesting the files, having gotten my written permission to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Turn up at their reception on Monday morning and say you're not leaving until they hand them over.
    Otherwise arrange a courier to collect them and ring the old solicitors informing them that the courier will collect them at X o clock so they better be ready.
    Sounds like a case of bitterness.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    Should the new solicitor not be a bit more pro-active then he appears to be from the OP.

If I was changing solicitors I would expect the new solicitor to be requesting the files, having gotten my written permission to do so.

Hi did. Request was sent 3 weeks ago. He followed with a phone call. What is the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

Hi did. Request was sent 3 weeks ago. He followed with a phone call. What is the OP?

Hi, OP just means original post ie your first post on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Contact your old solicitor and tell him you feel you have no choice but to make a complaint to the law society. Give him a day and if nothing happens then go ahead and make the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a case of bitterness.
    Potentially the solicitor is ill and this is the cause of the failures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Victor wrote: »

It may explain, it doesn't excuse.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

No, she is not. She either ignores me or sends misleading information that turns out not to be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Had a similar issue with a solicitor for conveyancing.
    He lost interest after I paid him and hadn't lodged the deeds to the land registry like he assured me he would..he avoided me for weeks and he was holding up a loan application I needed urgently.
    I left him a voice message saying that If he didn't get a move on I would report him to the law society and within three days he had done everything he should've done weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Turn up in person at the solicitors office Monday morning. Tell her you are not leaving until resolved be sorted there and then.
    Had a similar situation this resolved it straight away

Advertisement