Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a soundbar for a kitchen under €300

Options
  • 21-03-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

So, my mum wants surround sound for music whilst she's in the kitchen. As the kitchen was recently (about a year ago) done up, I prefer not to have to drill holes in the walls for speakers.

So, looking at soundbars. So far, the two that stick out are
    Samsung HW-K450
    Samsung HW-MS550
    As they seem to what I'm looking for, but music isn't meant to great on them.
    Also came across Yamaha YAS105BLB that would be in budget.

My only bugbear is that they're fairly wide. The speaker would be on a shelf; would the sound of a soundbar work from the top of a press, or would it be best at about waist level?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

the_syco wrote: »
    So, my mum wants surround sound for music whilst she's in the kitchen. As the kitchen was recently (about a year ago) done up, I prefer not to have to drill holes in the walls for speakers.

So, looking at soundbars. So far, the two that stick out are
    Samsung HW-K450
    Samsung HW-MS550
    As they seem to what I'm looking for, but music isn't meant to great on them.
    Also came across Yamaha YAS105BLB that would be in budget.

My only bugbear is that they're fairly wide. The speaker would be on a shelf; would the sound of a soundbar work from the top of a press, or would it be best at about waist level?

But if it's soundbar you're after, you'll get decent quality ones well under your budget, look in argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But if it's soundbar you're after, you'll get decent quality ones well under your budget, look in argos.
    Shall have a look later after work. Are they no-name brands?

Shall have a look later after work. Are they no-name brands?

No, branded, goodish selection. This one is mine. Great.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6841115/Trail/searchtext>Soundbar.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

If the speaker is only for listening to music and not tv don't get a sound bar. What will the source of music be? Maybe get a smart speaker like an Amazon Echo. Great sound for the price but it will need to connected to the internet.

If the speaker is only for listening to music and not tv don't get a sound bar. What will the source of music be? Maybe get a smart speaker like an Amazon Echo. Great sound for the price but it will need to connected to the internet.
    Currently the music is coming from a Amazon Echo, to a set of speakers, but the speakers don't really provide much sound. The Echo speaker isn't bad, but not that great either.

• Advertisement

Currently the music is coming from a Amazon Echo, to a set of speakers, but the speakers don't really provide much sound. The Echo speaker isn't bad, but not that great either.

Most sound systems don't work all that well at low volumes, that soundbar I linked is an exception, crystal clear sound reproduction at a low volume level, and if you want high volume it'd blow you out of the room.

Most sound systems don't work all that well at low volumes, that soundbar I linked is an exception, crystal clear sound reproduction at a low volume level, and if you want high volume it'd blow you out of the room.
    The soundbar you linked only accepts optical in, USB, and Bluetooth. Have a preference for 3.5mm due to how unreliable bluetooth is when connecting devices. Wouldn't be using an external sub due to space constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

You need some bass to improve the sound. The sound bar will not be able to do that. I have a Sony SRS -X99. It's connected to an Echo dot. The sound is excellent. Try something like that but in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The soundbar you linked only accepts optical in, USB, and Bluetooth. Have a preference for 3.5mm due to how unreliable bluetooth is when connecting devices. Wouldn't be using an external sub due to space constraints.

Integrated Sub
    Cheap
    Sounds good

Choose two.

You should get powered monitors for this setup, not a soundbar.

ED E wrote: »
    Integrated Sub
    Cheap

Sounds good

Choose two.

You should get powered monitors for this setup, not a soundbar.
    Probably go for the top two, as my mum wouldn't be an audiophile, but finds the existing bluetooth speakers that she has is missing full sound. TBH, the thing I think that they are missing is any sort of inbuilt sub.

How portable would the powered monitors be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have a pair of Bose Soundtouch 10,1 at either end of the kitchen. Each plugs into wall socket & pair to give stereo sound, connect to Echo dot for voice control.

They come with a remote, program 6 presets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Today Ikea has released the Symfonisk for €99, which is basically a cheap Sonos, but with input on the design from Ikea.

You could get 2 to make a stereo pair and they wirelessly connect to your router and can take commands from the amazon echo as a controller to turn on radio/ play music etc, or just use the app on the phone.

Theres even a bracket for a fiver that you can hook the speaker on one of those bars that you have in the kitchen to hang stuff off so its quite practical..

Advertisement