Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BT] Bose Soundlink Mini 2 or UE Boom 3

Options
  • 04-03-2019 5:27pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having to downsize my wonderful bedroom audio setup as my old studio speakers are just taking up too much space and do not get enough use.

After doing quite a bit of research I've potentially narrowed it down to the ageing Bose Soundlink Mini 2 or the new UE Boom 3.

My max budget is €150, and for the most part the speaker will be staying put - being able to grab it and move it to the kitchen when cooking is a bonus. At the moment I'm swaying towards the Bose as a friend has had one for years and it's a fairly impressive little device, I'm a bit off put by the Booms need for a specific app to enable connectivity too.

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback or suggestions?

Comments

I love my Soundlink mini 2 - that's all i can say. Had it a few years now. I use it as a portable speaker- Battery lasts ages, it's nice and weighty, nice base tone- real quality.

When I was buying it the more modern Bose speakers we're coming out, like the colour and the revolve but for the price and sound quality the soundlink mini 2 won me over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks, yeah the soundlink mini 2 is what i've settled on, was pulling the trigger over the w/end as currys had a 10% off discount code on bose products....but their code would not work :P so just looking for the very best price I can get now.

Thanks, yeah the soundlink mini 2 is what i've settled on, was pulling the trigger over the w/end as currys had a 10% off discount code on bose products....but their code would not work :P so just looking for the very best price I can get now.

Bose in Dundrum shopping centre do repackaged ones- i.e. someone has bought it, returned it and Bose have repackaged it or else packaging damaged but speaker fine. Still comes with guarantee etc- not sure prices though.

But yeah, I can't fault it. You can also use it as a speaker for your phone- i.e. talk into the Bose Soundlink mini 2 speaker- very handy when home working- not something available in a lot of bluetooth speakers.

Enjoy when you get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Hey guys, wondering how portable the Bose Soundlink Mini is? I’m looking at these 2 devices myself at the moment as I want something to put in my back pack whilst travelling for work, something for the hotel room while I’m working etc.. the other option was the new Alexa echo 2, as it would be a little start into the smart world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hey guys, wondering how portable the Bose Soundlink Mini is? I’m looking at these 2 devices myself at the moment as I want something to put in my back pack whilst travelling for work, something for the hotel room while I’m working etc.. the other option was the new Alexa echo 2, as it would be a little start into the smart world.

It’s quite portable, though surprisingly weighty.

I’ve actually sent mine back as it stopped taking a charge, which was a common enough issue I came across when researching the soundlink

• Advertisement

It’s quite portable, though surprisingly weighty.

I’ve actually sent mine back as it stopped taking a charge, which was a common enough issue I came across when researching the soundlink

Hmmmmm that’s not good! How long did it last?

Hmmmmm that’s not good! How long did it last?

About a month, there's some issue with its deep sleep battery saving feature...basically if you don't use it for two weeks it goes into a very deep sleep to preserve the battery - but this doesn't always work properly and in my case I hadn't used it over one weekend so this feature kicked in.

To wake it it's simply supposed to be a matter of plugging it in to the mains, but mine never started charging again (this seems to be an awfully common issue), it stayed at 30% when on mains, when off mains the battery level would drop but never charge when connected to mains again. I tried all the advised fixes (software update / hard reboot / forcing sleep mode) but no joy so the last option was to send it off for repair - as it was so new I got back on to the retailer and requested a refund instead.

About a month, there's some issue with its deep sleep battery saving feature...basically if you don't use it for two weeks it goes into a very deep sleep to preserve the battery - but this doesn't always work properly and in my case I hadn't used it over one weekend so this feature kicked in.

To wake it it's simply supposed to be a matter of plugging it in to the mains, but mine never started charging again (this seems to be an awfully common issue), it stayed at 30% when on mains, when off mains the battery level would drop but never charge when connected to mains again. I tried all the advised fixes (software update / hard reboot / forcing sleep mode) but no joy so the last option was to send it off for repair - as it was so new I got back on to the retailer and requested a refund instead.

Wow! That really sucks! Hmmm I’ve so many Bose products and had zero issues with them. I think I’ll be revisiting my research and getting something different. Thanks for your input!

Wow! That really sucks! Hmmm I’ve so many Bose products and had zero issues with them. I think I’ll be revisiting my research and getting something different. Thanks for your input!

I know, I was so very disappointed as it was an excellent speaker while it worked - but at least I'm not out of pocket.

I'll take a trip to Dundrum over the weekend and see about it.

• Advertisement

It's heavy - on a backpack will be fine but it's much more weight than most portable bluetooth speakers out there so just watch that- but on the plus side, great battery so long life.
    I know, I was so very disappointed as it was an excellent speaker while it worked - but at least I'm not out of pocket.

Ah sorry to hear that. Mine works fine after the last few years so you must have got some sort of dud one. Very disappointing after all your research- are you thinking of any other one?

Ah sorry to hear that. Mine works fine after the last few years so you must have got some sort of dud one. Very disappointing after all your research- are you thinking of any other one?

Yeah I ended up grabbing a sony srs-xb41 as currys had it very heavily discounted. The sq wont blow you away, it goes very loud and very very bassy, but it's adequate for my needs - funnily though, I didn't notice it's size in the shop but when i got home and saw it next to the mini I was amazed by how absolutely massive it is, which must put most people off it.

I definitely got a dud mini, and what was extra disappointing was that the advice I got from bose customer care was word for word the advice I had been reading on the bose forums, so I guess it must be a known issue that can occur if they have a script for it?

Yeah I ended up grabbing a sony srs-xb41 as currys had it very heavily discounted. The sq wont blow you away, it goes very loud and very very bassy, but it's adequate for my needs - funnily though, I didn't notice it's size in the shop but when i got home and saw it next to the mini I was amazed by how absolutely massive it is, which must put most people off it.

I definitely got a dud mini, and what was extra disappointing was that the advice I got from bose customer care was word for word the advice I had been reading on the bose forums, so I guess it must be a known issue that can occur if they have a script for it?

That’s so disappointing, because all paths for what I’m looking for lead me back to it... as I’ve read enough about the UE that I don’t want it, it’s the over the top bass would do my head in, I know Bose push bass, but not as much.. hmmm I’m might just chance it! :D

So I went up to Bose this evening to see the mini link 2... they didn’t have it. Tried another one called sound link colour? Didn’t think too much of it. Then the dude in the shop suggested the Revolve. It’s crackin little speaker, a little heavier than I planned but the sound is worth it. Also, they had a deal on them, 139 instead of 199 as it’s a returned item, but it’s in perfect condition.

Advertisement