Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SLARS

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Any advice on organising and compromising here? I need one teacher covered for one class so that we can have a "half in half out" slar but it's a no go with management. I don't want to back down and forever more have to do everything outside school time. Any suggestions for phrasing? References? Union help? Please and thank you.

I would just reply by saying that as a union member you intend on following the union declaration that the SLAR should happen within school time.
    If it’s scheduked outside of school time - you will not be attending anddont back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

I would just reply by saying that as a union member you intend on following the union declaration that the SLAR should happen within school time.
    If it’s scheduked outside of school time - you will not be attending anddont back down.

Yes, its actually quite straightforward but it doesn't suit management. Stand your ground, it can't be held without you! Union was surprisingly helpful & we ended up getting very clearly worded advice & SLAR was held within school time.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Our Tui rep came back from a branch meeting and told us that the Slar will be staying outside of tuition time as they are afraid to bring the spotlight on what constitutes the school day. They fear the department could use it as an opportunity to make us work nine to five!
    They also said that they don't want to rock the boat or teachers will have to start formally accounting for their 40 minute professional time.
    I was genuinely surprised to hear a message like that coming from a branch meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

fall wrote: »
    Our Tui rep came back from a branch meeting and told us that the Slar will be staying outside of tuition time as they are afraid to bring the spotlight on what constitutes the school day. They fear the department could use it as an opportunity to make us work nine to five!
    They also said that they don't want to rock the boat or teachers will have to start formally accounting for their 40 minute professional time.
    I was genuinely surprised to hear a message like that coming from a branch meeting.

Oh sweet Jesus! TUI won't rock the boat on anything it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The other issue is that if we were to have SLARS during the school day this would require substition. The department would in that case take back some of the 22 hour professional time given. This would mean teachers losing jobs. When the 22 hours were granted to us it created hundreds of jobs across the whole system. Subbing work is not the same as having proper jobs.
    As a TUI member I fully understood SLARS would be outside of school time once we got the 22 hours. Prior to that subbing was used in English but we were clearly told that this would be the model going forward as it wouldn't be practical to continue the subbing model.

The point you raised about the school day is something that already happened in the UK and Denmark. They have set out the full day 9 to 5 as part of school time and ALL teachers are required to be present for the full day regardless of timetables. Frightening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

An utter fraud of a union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

The other issue is that if we were to have SLARS during the school day this would require substition. The department would in that case take back some of the 22 hour professional time given. This would mean teachers losing jobs. When the 22 hours were granted to us it created hundreds of jobs across the whole system. Subbing work is not the same as having proper jobs.
    As a TUI member I fully understood SLARS would be outside of school time once we got the 22 hours. Prior to that subbing was used in English but we were clearly told that this would be the model going forward as it wouldn't be practical to continue the subbing model.

The point you raised about the school day is something that already happened in the UK and Denmark. They have set out the full day 9 to 5 as part of school time and ALL teachers are required to be present for the full day regardless of timetables. Frightening!

"Frightening"??? That's all your union ever seems to want to do. Frighten you guys into submission. And ye fall for it every time. Not one ounce of fight in any of ye! So the Govt would take back the professional time would they or get all tough on it? Yes they might try but a good union wouldn't let them succeed. Not when that professional time was conceded at a time when there was enormous opposition to the new JC. And the Govt were trying to keep us onside with a little sweetener. And now with their hopes of a smoother LC reform I personally can't see them getting so antagonistic. But if they want to either scrap it or make us account for it, they will, regardless of whether or not we've held the boat very steady or have rocked the bejaysus out of it. Being good boys and girls has never gained us anything!

The same applies if they want to bring in 9-5 presentism. I totally fail to see how our insisting that SLARS are done in school time or half in half out would impact on that in any way. If anything the more we agree to do after school and we're already doing P/T meetings and staff meetings, the more we're edging ourselves towards 9-5 presentism without the Govt having to lift a finger.

So for the love of god TUI and for the sake of all in the profession would ye grow a pair!

acequion wrote: »
    "Frightening"??? That's all your union ever seems to want to do. Frighten you guys into submission. And ye fall for it every time. Not one ounce of fight in any of ye! So the Govt would take back the professional time would they or get all tough on it? Yes they might try but a good union wouldn't let them succeed. Not when that professional time was conceded at a time when there was enormous opposition to the new JC. And the Govt were trying to keep us onside with a little sweetener. And now with their hopes of a smoother LC reform I personally can't see them getting so antagonistic. But if they want to either scrap it or make us account for it, they will, regardless of whether or not we've held the boat very steady or have rocked the bejaysus out of it. Being good boys and girls has never gained us anything!

The same applies if they want to bring in 9-5 presentism. I totally fail to see how our insisting that SLARS are done in school time or half in half out would impact on that in any way. If anything the more we agree to do after school and we're already doing P/T meetings and staff meetings, the more we're edging ourselves towards 9-5 presentism without the Govt having to lift a finger.

So for the love of god TUI and for the sake of all in the profession would ye grow a pair!

Parent teacher meetings and staff meetings inside or outside school have no impact on jobs. Scrapping some or all of our professional time does.
    I'm no fan of SLARS but we are stuck with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

This idea that hundreds of jobs were created is a total publicity stunt by the government, I know for a fact that not one job was created in my school....we all got our 40 mins per week and no one extra was employed....it’s the same in many schools !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Parent teacher meetings and staff meetings inside or outside school have no impact on jobs. Scrapping some or all of our professional time does.
    I'm no fan of SLARS but we are stuck with them.

Apparently you lads are such fans of them you do them after school.

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    This idea that hundreds of jobs were created is a total publicity stunt by the government, I know for a fact that not one job was created in my school....we all got our 40 mins per week and no one extra was employed....it’s the same in many schools !!

Perhaps your school had part time teachers bumped up or you were due to lose teacher.
    For every 33 whole time teachers being alleviated 40 minutes, 22 hours would be created ie one whole time post.

Apparently you lads are such fans of them you do them after school.

It was clearly signalled in the May 2016 agreement that professional time would be used for SLARS. TUI voted to accept it so that's where we are. As we know the Asti rejected it and I'm not going to go back over old ground. I just feel the Asti now are picking a battle that may if they win cost people jobs or hours that have been created by professional time allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

At least ASTI are willing to battle on something. TUI are (yet again) a disgrace, all they're ever worried about is keeping the status quo and not rocking the boat.

Original agreement clearly outlined that SOME of the SLAR should be within school time. Common sense means that means at least 40 mins, if all classes are now 40 mins long.

TUI never intended to even try implementing it though, and gave schools with Wednesday half days as an exemplar. When asked where schools without half days would have them there was a shrug of the shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Perhaps your school had part time teachers bumped up or you were due to lose teacher.
    For every 33 whole time teachers being alleviated 40 minutes, 22 hours would be created ie one whole time post.

No we didn’t. The principal told us recently that he managed to give us the class off each but it had put him seriously under pressure. There was a bit of talk afterwards about it coming from LCA/ SEN allocation or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

solerina wrote: »
    No we didn’t. The principal told us recently that he managed to give us the class off each but it had put him seriously under pressure. There was a bit of talk afterwards about it coming from LCA/ SEN allocation or similar.

You are right, the department does not compensate fully for the 40 minute professional time so there definitely weren't as many jobs created as some night believe.

It was clearly signalled in the May 2016 agreement that professional time would be used for SLARS. TUI voted to accept it so that's where we are. As we know the Asti rejected it and I'm not going to go back over old ground. I just feel the Asti now are picking a battle that may if they win cost people jobs or hours that have been created by professional time allocation.

Not disagreeing with you on the need to safeguard jobs. BUT without half way decent working conditions there won't be teachers to fill the jobs and that's happening already.

Also, very different stories from the two unions. According to you, TUI are saying do SLARS outside school, yet ASTI are pushing to do them within. In fact it's probably the only thing in recent years that ASTI head office are confident about as they say that Govt are very being very reasonable over the timing of SLARS.

Shocking to see the two second level unions so divergent!

I wouldn't use the word shocking. Just another example of the TUI leaving it's members down.

Deise,what I consider shocking is that we have two second level teacher unions [when one would be enough and altogether more effective] and they can't even be on the same page with something as straight forward and as minor [in the grand scheme of things] as the timetabling of SLARS. You really would despair of those two ever forging close links and with all the crap that's been flung at teachers and the ever more urgent need to unite,it frankly is shocking.

I agree that it is a desperate situation but anybody following what the TUI are (not) doing the last decade could see the writing on the wall. They've turned into a government/management mouthpiece and have lost their way.

A union is supposed to protect it's members but the only thing that the TUI protects is the status quo and keeping the peace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement