Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EUR to GBP...ATM or Exchange

• 15-12-2016 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am travelling to the UK with work over the weekend.

All expenses paid. However, I will need some sterling of my own. Am I better to get some cash exchanged or use the ATM in the UK

Currently with PTSB

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Johnny Macwilliams

Buy it here before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Try the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Johnny Macwilliams

thee glitz wrote: »
    Try the post office.

Why do you emphasis the word try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Unfortunately I won't make the post office......I will need to use one of the exchange places in the airport As I'm flying after work and the post office will be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Unfortunately I won't make the post office......I will need to use one of the exchange places in the airport As I'm flying after work and the post office will be closed

Do not use the places in the airport with cash, they give terrible rates.

Some of those companies offer pre-booking rates on their websites which are closer to bank/post office rates but they shaft anybody exchanging cash at the booths.

Check the TSB rates, AFAIR they do have a charge, if it is a fixed fee it may be cheaper overall to take out one large withdrawal at an ATM. If using an ATM make sure it is from one of the main banks, there are machines from 3rd party companies that have hefty fees, airports are a prime location for these. The normal ones will have "Free Cash Withdrawals" or similar on them.

For future travel you should look at getting a Revolut card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I am travelling to the UK with work over the weekend.

All expenses paid. However, I will need some sterling of my own. Am I better to get some cash exchanged or use the ATM in the UK

Currently with PTSB

Thanks

I mostly use my card now in the UK, no cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't make much odds if it's just spending money.
    Probably use the ATM for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Why do you emphasis the word try?

There is no emphasis on try. What I was suggestiong is that the post office may give good rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

CurrencyFair is meant to give good rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Best rate is achieved by using your debit card where possible.

If you've no option but to withdraw cash, as said earlier try to look for a machine that doesn't charge for withdrawals.

Another thing to look out for is when using the machine is that it will ask if you want to proceed with their conversion rate or not-their rate will appear on screen-always decline this as there's a mark-up factored in which will make it more expensive than what you'll get from your own bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not much use to you now but look up Revolut for future trips. It's an exchange app for your phone (this will work immediately) that links to an ATM card (not so immediate as you've to wait for the postman) so you can withdraw/pay local currency abroad commission free at the exact exchange rate at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭thebiglad

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Best rate is achieved by using your debit card where possible.

If you've no option but to withdraw cash, as said earlier try to look for a machine that doesn't charge for withdrawals.

Another thing to look out for is when using the machine is that it will ask if you want to proceed with their conversion rate or not-their rate will appear on screen-always decline this as there's a mark-up factored in which will make it more expensive than what you'll get from your own bank.

Depends on how much is being withdrawn - for example BOI charge 3.5% on all withdrawals (minimum €3.17) so for a small sum, say £20 - £30 it is better to accept the EUR rate offered by the machine in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

thebiglad wrote: »
    Depends on how much is being withdrawn - for example BOI charge 3.5% on all withdrawals (minimum €3.17) so for a small sum, say £20 - £30 it is better to accept the EUR rate offered by the machine in my experience.

Exactly, if you are getting small amounts out in any forgien country it is going to cost.
    Otherwise, best advice is what Paddy1975 said, but plan what cash you need and avoid multiple small withdrawals.

Advertisement