Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine: replace PCB or buy new?

Options
  • 22-03-2019 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hi appreciate any advice on this.

Our 2 year old Hover washing machine has packed in :mad: (previous machine lasted 23 years). 90% certain it's the PCB.

The cost of a new PCB is ~110 (plus p&p). The cost of a replacement machine is 300. Skilled enough to do the job myself but would have to wait, maybe up to a week, for the part.

What bothers me is that in buying a new PCB I'm just buying the same electronic part made to the same standard as the one that failed (within two years). On the other hand if I buy a new machine of a different brand am I more or less just buying the same component anyway.

What bothers us, is the wait to get the thing back in action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

WildWater wrote: »
    Hi appreciate any advice on this.

Our 2 year old Hover washing machine has packed in :mad: (previous machine lasted 23 years). 90% certain it's the PCB.

The cost of a new PCB is ~110 (plus p&p). The cost of a replacement machine is 300. Skilled enough to do the job myself but would have to wait, maybe up to a week, for the part.

What bothers me is that in buying a new PCB I'm just buying the same electronic part made to the same standard as the one that failed (within two years). On the other hand if I buy a new machine of a different brand am I more or less just buying the same component anyway.

What bothers us, is the wait to get the thing back in action.

Do you know what caused the PCB to fail.? Can be kind of pointless fitting a new one if it pops again straight away
    Is your machine still covered by warranty do you know.?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's a 10 year parts warranty with Hoover, however with the caveat that it's their service personnel who does the installation, whatever that'll cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Personally I would get rid of it and start again. The unit has just depreciated too much for it to be worth making that sort of (risky) investment in it. If money is a big issue for you, I would put pressure on the seller to compensate for the poor life of the machine. But it sounds like time is more your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

What's wrong with the pcb?

Probably a 10 cent part.

Advertisement