Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

50 - wondering if it's too late to become a professional driver?

Options
  • 09-03-2020 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I'm a 50 y/o fella, crowd I worked for wanted to reduce staffing and I took the package to leave after 25 years, IT infrastructure work. Was sad for a bit but now I see it as a chance to get out of that line of work altogether and try something new...I've only ever really loved two things DIY/building and driving. I reckon I could make a decent professional driver.

What shape that takes I dunno - Artic, Bus? I guess it depends on where and what the work is to start somewhere. at the risk of sounding too cocky or anything I reckon I could drive anything if taught how. I have a clean B licence since my 18th birthday and I want to learn and take the tests all the way through including the CPC

* Do ye think a fella of 50 could start a new life as a driver? am I being realistic here?

* Are there good driving jobs out there at the minute or is it tricky to get a job?

* Recommend (pm) a driving school that could bring me from zero up to CPC level inside say (ambitious but I'm up for it) 6 months?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

martco wrote: »
    I'm a 50 y/o fella, crowd I worked for wanted to reduce staffing and I took the package to leave after 25 years, IT infrastructure work. Was sad for a bit but now I see it as a chance to get out of that line of work altogether and try something new...I've only ever really loved two things DIY/building and driving. I reckon I could make a decent professional driver.

What shape that takes I dunno - Artic, Bus? I guess it depends on where and what the work is to start somewhere. at the risk of sounding too cocky or anything I reckon I could drive anything if taught how. I have a clean B licence since my 18th birthday and I want to learn and take the tests all the way through including the CPC

* Do ye think a fella of 50 could start a new life as a driver? am I being realistic here?

* Are there good driving jobs out there at the minute or is it tricky to get a job?

* Recommend (pm) a driving school that could bring me from zero up to CPC level inside say (ambitious but I'm up for it) 6 months?

thanks

Being a delivery driver is tough work.
    It can also be high pressure with unrealistic workloads and no time to get them done.

I was a transport planner/ manager for 25 years. I know the kind of pressure I put on drivers. I'm out of it now and glad to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Ive just completed my second cycle of CPC modules and the one thing that sticks out is that the average age profile of professional drivers is now late 50's to early 60's . There's very few young people at it now .
    There are plenty of driver jobs out there , but few good ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

hear of people who did a tourist guide course and drive tourists around showing them places. not sure what type of driving qualifications they need maybe equivalent to a taxi. obviously seasonal work but would be flexible.
    tourists come and the driver joins them for few days going around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If you want to break your back for hours upon end, have no life and get paid chicken feed then it’s the job for you. I’m sorry I ever got into it and I’m a good 10 years younger than you with 8 years experience under my belt in rigids/coaches/artics

Advertisement