Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Works going on at Youghal Station

Options
  • 01-03-2020 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I was in Youghal last week and was slightly surprised that clearance work is underway beside the old station building. Vegetation has been cut back and you can now see remnants of the old lines and platforms. Just ongoing minimal maintenance or is development planned in anticipation of IE getting permission to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ce he sin wrote: »
    I was in Youghal last week and was slightly surprised that clearance work is underway beside the old station building. Vegetation has been cut back and you can now see remnants of the old lines and platforms. Just ongoing minimal maintenance or is development planned in anticipation of IE getting permission to get rid of it?

It's for the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

What condition are the station buildings in?

It would be nice if they could be retained in a greenway related development, but if my memory serves me correctly, they were in poor condition thirty years ago.

Nevertheless, Kilmacthomas station building has been restored and when I was there last year (or the previous year), it was planned to restore the signal cabin also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

tabbey wrote: »

It would be nice if they could be retained in a greenway related development, but if my memory serves me correctly, they were in poor condition thirty years ago.

Nevertheless, Kilmacthomas station building has been restored and when I was there last year (or the previous year), it was planned to restore the signal cabin also.

They were subsiding badly the last time that I was there in 19xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

tabbey wrote: »

The station building is physically intact (it still has its roof) but has large cracks at each side. The signal box is still there as well. Anything else is gone or sold off (stationmaster's house).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interior is gutted, the building was burnt out maybe 15 years or so ago and a new roof put on and the area fenced off.
    Any remaining track will be lifted, a start on that has happened at another location already.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As I said in the thread about the greenway in the county cork sub forum I took advantage of an unexpected day off and the weather and went to youghal. sorry I know the close up of the turntable is on its side and that’s my fault and I know why it happened but I was shocked to see it still there when they’re clearing the station of stuff. I wonder if they’ll leave it in place. Anyway they have all the track cleared bar some at the end near the turntable. The station building looks okay when you consider it’s age although there is one very large crack at the turntable end of thread building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to see a greenway but thats prob the end of the Middleton section ever going to Youghal

Hope they remove that ugly fencing. The country is blighted with the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Unfortunately it is the only type of fencing that has any sort of reasonable chance of keeping scumbag vandals out. Only for it, the station would have been gutted years ago.

From what I have been told the turntable is to be removed and the area infilled with the kerbstones left in place to identify it as the location of the former turntable. The depth of the pit was an unacceptable hazard around pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Advertisement