Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Trampas wrote: »
    What 2-3% is that based on?

2,663 deaths in China out of 1.4 billion.

If that was 1.4 million it would be about 2-3% but not billion

2 to 3 % of those who contract it.... not the whole population.

Higher chance if you being killed in a road traffic accident in italy at the moment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Big debate on the facts and figures on this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1846

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wesser wrote: »

Higher chance if you being killed in a road traffic accident in italy at the moment.....

That's not true though is it. You've brought no statistical evidence to this fight a car accident Italy versus contracting a virus brought in by tourists when you'd travel through airports and stay in tourist locations and do touristy things.

Your comparison is well... Silly ... And beyond flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Its not flawed at all. There is hysteria over this virus. 4 people have died ( im.not talking about contracting the virus) in italy. Way less that have died in road traffic accident. Tourists travel alot by road.... its part of being a tourist. If i was booked to go to Italy on a holiday... i would take reasonable and common sense precautions.... but i would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im not concerned about the virus per say, healthy no underlying issues here. But we are due to travel in April and i dont want to loose all our money or get caught up in some lock down and not be able to get home.

• Advertisement

Its not flawed at all. There is hysteria over this virus. 4 people have died ( im.not talking about contracting the virus) in italy. Way less that have died in road traffic accident. Tourists travel alot by road.... its part of being a tourist. If i was booked to go to Italy on a holiday... i would take reasonable and common sense precautions.... but i would go.

It is flawed. Statistically it was a stupid analogy. I shouldn't have to point that out but sometimes people need to be told.

jrosen wrote: »
    Im not concerned about the virus per say, healthy no underlying issues here. But we are due to travel in April and i dont want to loose all our money or get caught up in some lock down and not be able to get home.

You know you can contract it. Have no symptoms pass it around to everyone you meet for two weeks and then show symptoms.like all your relatives their kids work colleagues etc etc.

Sometimes folks don't tend to look past their own front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Heading to St Petersburg in mid-April, hadn't really considered not going tbh unless it hits that area or nearby in the next 6 weeks but accomodation is not paid up and easily cancelled so worst case scenario is losing flight money. Only got Berlin and London then in July but I figure the summer months will be grand.

Listermint there is no need to be so personal and nasty. If you dont agree then just say so but we are all free to post our opinions here and that is my opinion.

It's not nasty to point out bad math.

I hope you understand opinion is what passed brexit and got trump elected. Your opinion is the same as mine allowed.... But opinion can't override fact.

So whilst you are allowed your own opinion you aren't allowed your own facts nor are my.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Trampas wrote: »
    What 2-3% is that based on?

2,663 deaths in China out of 1.4 billion.

If that was 1.4 million it would be about 2-3% but not billion

I think we covered this already. You can't take an entire population of a into the statistics on a new virus. It has only reached parts of China yet. The WHO are giving out real statistics. I would prefer to listen to them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

With the way they drive in Italy, there's always a higher chanch of a car crash. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'm flying to France tomorrow then Germany the week after and Romania week after that. Via Heathrow, Luton and city airports. Am I worried about it, no. I worry about the end of the world as much. But if it does bother you don't travel. I would not cancel anything unless the government actually says don't travel, personality speaking anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

We've decided not to go to Tenerife tomorrow. Had sorted of decided to wait and see if it was an isolated thing or not, but there are now 4 people infected. Wish we had booked for another part of the island, but we would be too close to the quarantined hotel for me to be able to relax and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Supposed to be travelling to Venice this weekend. Unless something drastic changes between now and Saturday I doubt I will be going at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The first French victim had no (yet) established link to neither China nor Italy
    Source: https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/live/2020/02/26/le-bilan-du-coronavirus-en-direct-un-deuxieme-patient-est-mort-a-paris_6030908_3244.html
    Very worrying that France, Germany and Spain are conducting very few tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I'd say that Ireland is also conducting minimal testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

rigorous handwashing is key to prevent infection
    its not an airborn virus

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Supposed to travel to Rome tomorrow. Not going. Down over €700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Supposed to travel to Rome tomorrow. Not going. Down over €700.

I know there are bigger problems in the world but it's a horrible feeling to pull the pug on your holiday isn't it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

its not an airborn virus

You couldn't be more wrong... It's a respiratory infection that is spread via droplets from breathing or coughing -- the exact definition of airborne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

SusanC10 wrote:
    I'd say that Ireland is also conducting minimal testing.

It's amazing that people are happy to spread this not only ill-informed, but completely inaccurate, rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

People should relax a bit. How many people die of the flu each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Granadino wrote: »

Go on, tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

spurious wrote: »
    The numbers are miniscule.
    I will be off to Spain end of next month. Looking forward to it.

Grand but consider you mightn't get back in for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yes, that's what the government info service is telling us..... do you really believe that? Would you go into a room with an infected individual and breath in the air they exhale? Not touching anything, just being in the same room, bus, train, plane cabin? Answers on a postcard from your sick bed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look it's an individual decision whether to travel or not. Very often the gut instinct makes the decision for you. Others can be free and easy, not worried about anything, it depends on age and status ie kids and job etc.

Most of our worries involve being stuck somewhere for two or three weeks if there is an outbreak in the destination, and not being paid either. That, and bringing it back to vulnerable and/or elderly relatives who may be compromised already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Granadino wrote: »

The fatality rate for Covid-19 seems to be in the region of twenty times that of flu. It may turn out to be considerably lower than that but still significantly higher than flu.

Personally, I would be avoiding Countries that have kept their several flights with China since it all began, and that are conducting only a few tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I am flying to Sao Paolo next week, there is a case of Covid-19 there, I have decided to fly anyway. I'd rather catch it there than be in Ireland when it arrives. I don't think anyone has any idea of just how obsolete and disgraceful our HSE is, it exists merely a dumping ground for the failed careers of Fianna Fail crony hacks, it is kept going by a few immigrant doctors and nurses whilst the rest of self-entitled unionised staff have the whole thing destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

anacc wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong... It's a respiratory infection that is spread via droplets from breathing or coughing -- the exact definition of airborne.

Droplets containing coronavirus virus particles are quite dense. While they do fly through the air, typical range on sneeze/cough is three to four feet. This is not characteristic of an airborne virus. Airborne requires controlled ventilation pressure to contain to an area. Coronavirus, thankfully, does not require this. (Though it is worth noting the ten day hospitals in China had built in air ventilation systems just in case it was airborne. Really impressive!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In off to Singapore, Thailand and Philippines on 1st April.

I originally thought I'd be mildly at risk there. But by 1st April, I think I'll be safer there than I am here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

MarkY91 wrote: »
    In off to Singapore, Thailand and Philippines on 1st April.

I originally thought I'd be mildly at risk there. But by 1st April, I think I'll be safer there than I am here.

Three countries I have all spent time in and in and had the misfortune of visiting the hospitals in two of them and the hospitals in Thailand and Philippines would put anything in the HSE to shame, Singapore I can imagine to be even better. Look at it this way, you would be better off catching the virus over there than here at home. Your travel insurance would pay out for quality cover there wheras you are at the back of the queue here with the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

theguzman wrote: »
    I am flying to Sao Paolo next week, there is a case of Covid-19 there, I have decided to fly anyway. I'd rather catch it there than be in Ireland when it arrives. I don't think anyone has any idea of just how obsolete and disgraceful our HSE is, it exists merely a dumping ground for the failed careers of Fianna Fail crony hacks, it is kept going by a few immigrant doctors and nurses whilst the rest of self-entitled unionised staff have the whole thing destroyed.

I'm sure some of the many people who get excellent care have a good idea of how obsolete and disgraceful it is. What a bizarre rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Three countries I have all spent time in and in and had the misfortune of visiting the hospitals in two of them and the hospitals in Thailand and Philippines would put anything in the HSE to shame, Singapore I can imagine to be even better. Look at it this way, you would be better off catching the virus over there than here at home. Your travel insurance would pay out for quality cover there wheras you are at the back of the queue here with the HSE.

Been to all 3 before. The girlfriend is a Filipina working in Dublin. I'm often told horror stories that you'd expect from a hospital in the 3rd world. Not from a country in western Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Im off to Thailand in march wit herself for 3 weeks. One of my mates thinks im mad for goin there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

spurious wrote: »
    The numbers are miniscule.
    I will be off to Spain end of next month. Looking forward to it.

Yet there those coming back from a positive contovirus country have got the virus. Not doing the maths tonight. However percentage is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just cancelled the canaries for Sunday week. thankfully I hadn't paid the hotel or car hire.
    Hopefully AL will cancel flights and I'll get a refund there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Im off to Thailand in march wit herself for 3 weeks. One of my mates thinks im mad for goin there.

you may not be allowed, health officials might put a stop to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just cancelled the canaries for Sunday week. thankfully I hadn't paid the hotel or car hire.

I’m going Sunday week also and most certainly am not cancelling. I hope AL do no such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I’m going Sunday week also and most certainly am not cancelling. I hope AL do no such thing.

Personal choice. I've a heart condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I'm due to fly to South America over the coming weekend but I connect in the US. My biggest fear would be contracting it here in Dublin or in JFK airport. I have no doubt it is here in Ireland already but its not yet detected, I survived Avian and Swine flu but am susceptible to pneumonia and lung problems. (asthmatic). Also if the virus breaks out here in Ireland whilst I am abroad there is no way I would return until it was safe to do so. My biggest concern at the moment is getting stranded in Argentina or Paraguay.
    I live in Argentina, it's definitely not the worst place in the world to get stranded.

Feel free to hit me up for some quarantine pints if you get stuck here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

tillyfilly wrote: »
    you may not be allowed, health officials might put a stop to it

Sure we'll see what happens

Worrying news from France:
    their first victim was in hospital in Creil for 6 days before been transferred to Paris where he finally got tested.
    https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/a-creil-l-inquietude-des-soignants-du-francais-victime-du-coronavirus-1864805.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This is even more worrying... But I'll still go to Italy in 3 weeks if the event goes ahead.

https://twitter.com/gavinsblog/status/1232982853903843329?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

you should ave waited until Aer Lingus cancelled the flight, you prob wont get refunded now but you can try.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-travel-advice-flights-5021223-Feb2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My daughter is due to leave this weekend for what should be a fantastic 2 week student exchange in Lyon. Really conflicted about letting her go as when you look at how quickly Italy escalated a lot can change in two weeks, and France could go down the same route. A number of kids from the planned exchange have cancelled their plans.

What to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭ckd

We've decided not to go to Tenerife tomorrow. Had sorted of decided to wait and see if it was an isolated thing or not, but there are now 4 people infected. Wish we had booked for another part of the island, but we would be too close to the quarantined hotel for me to be able to relax and enjoy it.

Did you manage to get a full or part refund for your trip??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Heading for Budapest on the 8th, here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm supposed to be going to Nice tomorrow for a short stay, will make my mind up in the morning but thinking of cancelling. Macron announces today the country must prepare for an epidemic. Two weeks in Lyon is a different proposition, I would err on the side of caution there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement