Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New platform for Limerick junction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Can’t find the plans online yet. Would I be right in saying that the proposed platform will be built on the opposite side of the tracks to Platform 1 (main Cork/Dublin platform)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/307805/new-platform-planned-at-limerick-junction-to-keep-time-improvements-on-track.html

I never knew there was such a bottleneck on the Dublin Cork railway line that oncoming trains couldn't pas seach other at the same time without giving way.

They could pass but only one could stop at Limerick Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Would a new station located between the Waterford line and the direct curve not be a better investment with a bay platform in the middle for Limerick - Limerick jct. services. It would remove the reversing from Waterford and allow direct Limerick services to stop as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

IE 222 wrote: »
    Would a new station located between the Waterford line and the direct curve not be a better investment with a bay platform in the middle for Limerick - Limerick jct. services. It would remove the reversing from Waterford and allow direct Limerick services to stop as well.

Something similar suggested in the other thread on C+T but would take huge vision and cost more than the planned new platform.

Probably talking 25-40 million for a complete new station, access, signalling etc

Its just not worth it to cut maybe 5-6 minutes and allow Waterford-Limerick J-Limerick. I mean signalling/track upgrades between Waterford-Limerick J could deliver than and at a lower cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

The trouble is , this upgrade will be built with the mindset that they want to shut the Waterford line. No improvements to the interchange to benefit that line will even occur to them

Just passed through the junction, planning notices up and an area on platform 3 marked out for the stairs for the bridge

Passed through the junction yesterday, lots of new track has arrived. Has planning for the new platform been granted?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

Shn99 wrote: »
    So does this mean there will be 2 extra platforms

So does this mean there will be 2 extra platforms

Just one afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

just a single platform usable only for Cork bound trains

Would make sense if waterford trains could use it via a new direct curve

just a single platform usable only for Cork bound trains

Plans look like they include a bay platform as well. Unless it's for stabling track machines or resuce loco.

Would make sense if waterford trains could use it via a new direct curve

My guess a curve would be too tights. Maybe an L shape platform could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

IE 222 wrote: »
    Plans look like they include a bay platform as well. Unless it's for stabling track machines or resuce loco.

What looks like a bay on the drawings are just the existing sidings.

• Advertisement

What looks like a bay on the drawings are just the existing sidings.

I know the current sidings are there but the potential is there to add a bay if they choose to at a later date. It's probably to accommodate the footbridge more so but the design would allow for a bay platform.

Work finally beginning, fencing has been erected outlining the new platform, tracks have been removed to make way for it and the machinery is on site.

When is the due completion month

could guess the month, bit vague on the year though

Construction is well under way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I changed at Limerick Junction recently and there is a lot of work there, was talking to the IE staff and they were two grand lads, told me a fair bit about Railways I never even knew.

What month is the platform due to be finished.
    When is pelletstown station due to be built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Catching up with this now - great news. The JPGs are a bit blurry, must catch up with the Djvu on a PC later - hard to believe that proprietary ****e persists instead of PDF...

I do think at least a bay for Waterford-LJ (terminating) would be helpful as then those services would not cross the mainline, reducing conflicts there, and could depart promptly and arrive without an undue connection time. But then people might give the service another shot and that would never do!

dowlingm wrote: »
    Catching up with this now - great news. The JPGs are a bit blurry, must catch up with the Djvu on a PC later - hard to believe that proprietary ****e persists instead of PDF...

I do think at least a bay for Waterford-LJ (terminating) would be helpful as then those services would not cross the mainline, reducing conflicts there, and could depart promptly and arrive without an undue connection time. But then people might give the service another shot and that would never do!

That's why the whole station should be moved north of its existing location but will never happen.

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »

These links are for Thurles. Oddly, the application for LJ (18600453) is marked "incomplete" with no scanned files.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That's why the whole station should be moved north of its existing location but will never happen.
    Too long a walk to the racetrack though :D

dowlingm wrote: »
    Too long a walk to the racetrack though :D

Not to mention the "Bit & Bridle".

Footbridge has been installed
    Any news on opening dare

June according to staff there

• Advertisement

Was at limerick junction yesterday ans platform progressing well.
    On a side note i was very impressed with the train to heuston (coming from Cork). Fast,comfortable and on time.
    Train was packed half one with just about all seats full with people standing. First class basically empty

Without looking into times in more detail, 4.8 mins savings looks a little optimistic in my opinion. Yes train will not need to slow down for 1.5-2 miles longer nor will the 15mph be applicable on approach. I am not convinced, I would have said 3-3.5 mins max.

It will save around 4 minutes.
    15:00 heuston-Cork calls at Thurles, Charleville and Mallow. 3 stops, 2h, 25m.
    16:00 Heuston-Cork calls at Thurles, Limerick junction and mallow. 3 stops again but it takes 2h, 29m, an extra 4 min.
    Although some services may only have an extra 3 minutes.
    Also is there a reason why most Cork-Dublin trains take slighlty longer than trains in the other direction.
    I'd say there will be a timetable change in september to benefit from the new platform and line improvment works over the last 2 years. Maby bring average j.t. to 2h,20-25m
    06:15 express must be due a change as it has stayed 2h, 15m for 4 years even though there was line improvment works for all of those years.
    Finally that the spare MK4 set could be used as an extra service to Cork in the peak time.

the biggest saving will be when there is disruption and trains no longer baulk each other waiting for platform access. I'd imagine this can be quite a saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why is the footbridge positioned so far down the platform? It's not ideal for passengers who are entering and exiting the station.

Why is the footbridge positioned so far down the platform? It's not ideal for passengers who are entering and exiting the station.

Surely you don't imagine that passengers were taken into consideration when planning the new platform and footbridge?

Limerick Junction is primarily an interchange station I imagine that has influenced the footbridge position

Isambard wrote: »
    Limerick Junction is primarily an interchange station I imagine that has influenced the footbridge position

Tell that to all the passengers from Tipperary.

They would have had to close the station.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Tell that to all the passengers from Tipperary.

what all of them? how long do I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They would have had to close the station.

Really?

Why couldn't the footbridge be placed at the other side of the platform, closer to the station entrance?

The new platform is not directly parallel. Its further north(?) So the bridge has to be further up the existing platform.
    Is it due to open this month

The new platform is not directly parallel. Its further north(?) So the bridge has to be further up the existing platform.
    Is it due to open this month

Yes indeed and in the most convenient place for passengers from down trains transferring to the Limerick shuttle. It's no good saving time by installing a new platform only to wait extra minutes for passengers to traipse along the up platform to get to the bay.

Really?

Why couldn't the footbridge be placed at the other side of the platform, closer to the station entrance?

Close to the station entrance would most likely require closure of the station, platforms are narrow. You will see that some of the bay platform (plt 3) is taken out of service during the works.

When the platform opens, I would hope that IE will ensure the Limerick shuttle operators at platform 3 i.e next to bridge and not further in like currently except when Waterford service is there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement