Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A miscellaneous discussion on digestive treats

• 03-04-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I put this title in because I don't want this tread shipped off to food and whatever sh-t tread. I basically want it left in AH, we have a superior intelligent breed of poster here. And like the title says anything about food. Oh since we're not in a drastic situation yet. None of I want to eat the neighbours cat etc. Ok.I relent you can eat the neighbour.

What you're eating at the moment ?
    What we're eating for Breakfast/Dinner/Tea?
    Do you crave junk food?
    Is cabbage, potatoes, bacon, a thing of the past?
    In general anything to do with food is acceptable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'll kick this off by saying I'd slaughter a KFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

I mis-read the subject line and thought this was a discussion on digestive tracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tork wrote: »
    I mis-read the subject line and thought this was a discussion on digestive tracts.

Or digestive biscuits, the least missed “treat”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The OP mentioned bacon and cabbage so I reckon they're more of a Marietta or a Goldgrain sort of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Monster Munch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The OP mentioned bacon and cabbage so I reckon they're more of a Marietta or a Goldgrain sort of person.

Ooh , Marietta with butter , squish them together to make butter worms :pac:

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Also works with the Rich Tea.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there seems to be six meals a day happening in the house now

shopping bill is going through the roof

That was a childhood treat, butter worms cool name. Do they still sell Marietta today.

Without digestives, there is no cheesecake base. For that reason digestives are okay.

I miss...Sunday brunch Spanish omelettes. I know I can make it at home but it's not the same as stopping off for brunch and having someone else make it.

I miss most things that other people used to make. Anything I don't have to make is a treat right now but I could especially demolish a bacon double cheeseburger with large fries and a shake from BK. I don't often have it but knowing I can't have it just makes me want it more. I guess playing hard to get works.

• Advertisement

Also works with the Rich Tea.

Does indeed , brings out the inner child in us doing it !

Kylta wrote: »
    That was a childhood treat, butter worms cool name. Do they still sell Marietta today.

I think so ?

I should have said I hope so :)

They still exist. The packaging has got very fancy for a "traditional plain biscuit".

5391517592122_3.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm eating a lot of fresh vegetables, meat, spuds, tinned fish and packet soups. Snacks generally consist of cheese-and-biccies with the occasional bit of chocolate cake. Here's a couple of lovely fillet steaks from the local craft butcher:

508107.jpg

Magret de canard à l'orange avec pommes:

508108.jpg

They still exist. The packaging has got very fancy for a "traditional plain biscuit".

5391517592122_3.JPG

Workhouse biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Well I am going to bat for digestive biscuits here, love them.
    Rich Tea are about 6/10, marietta I haven't seen in years and am happy enough with that reality.

Well I am going to bat for digestive biscuits here, love them.
    Rich Tea are about 6/10, marietta I haven't seen in years and am happy enough with that reality.

Oaties (poverty-spec plain Hob Nobs from The Aldi's, a daycint bic-bic and stupid cheap) with brie FTW.

In the biscuit debate, it have to be kimberleys - even though they stick in your teeth.

I made my own tortillas the other day, because I forget them the other day, and had all the other ingredients for a homemade burrito - they were quite easy to make and I'd do it again.

Steady on introducing kimberley, they are A-Grade biscuits. We're talking cheap and nasty in some cases here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d love 8 pints in the local followed by a trip into Supermacs for a snackbox with garlic sauce.

Steady on introducing kimberley, they are A-Grade biscuits. We're talking cheap and nasty in some cases here.

...are bourbons too fancy, too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I thought that was just me! Prefer to make my butter worms with Rich Tea, though!

Anyone upgrade the marietta and rich tea worms from butter to nutella?

I’d love 8 pints in the local followed by a trip into Supermacs for a snackbox with garlic sauce.

I would destroy two quarter-pounders from the chipper across the road from the local. :pac:

Anyone upgrade the marietta and rich tea worms from butter to nutella?

Ah now, ah hear, now you're talking actual narcotics! :pac:

Bourbon creams are sort of just above that cheap category.
    In that category I would put
    1. Digestive
    2. Rich Tea
    3. Rich Shorties
    4. Ginger nuts
    5. Marietta

What have I forgotten?

Bourbon creams are sort of just above that cheap category.
    In that category I would put
    1. Digestive
    2. Rich Tea
    3. Rich Shorties
    4. Ginger nuts
    5. Marietta

What have I forgotten?

NICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

He forgot Hob Knobs. Fig rolls as well.

• Advertisement

Hob knobs are the step above too, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

What you're eating at the moment ?
    What we're eating for Breakfast/Dinner/Tea?
    Do you crave junk food?
    Is cabbage, potatoes, bacon, a thing of the past?
    In general anything to do with food is acceptable

Toffee pops :pac:

I had a rustic role, with pepper salami, gherkins rocket spicy cheese and mustard, crisps and some Mi wadi

all the time, sugar is my weakness
    God no done right it can be amazing, I find if you boils a ham, then save the water for cooking the cabbage, finishing with lashings of butter.

Rufeo wrote: »
    He forgot Hob Knobs. Fig rolls as well.
    Hob knobs are the step above too, no?

I am enjoying the spelling of 'hob Knobs' :D

In the biscuit debate, it have to be kimberleys - even though they stick in your teeth.

Im off chocolate the moment but you can chocolate fingers or the purple snack that was left in a fridge, and Time Out of a fridge too. Oh and a twirl or a flake.

Anybody eating burbon creams are demented. Even the seagulls wont eat them

Anybody eating burbon creams are demented. Even the seagulls wont eat them

They are amazing - but only with black coffee

• Advertisement

Ive an option, I can have fish with herbs abd rice, which is ok. Or I can have rashers, eggs, beans, with batch loaf bread. Think ill take the second option, there's nothing like messy food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'd love a Big Tasty from McDonald's. Even though our shopping bill is higher lately, we're still saving money as there's less spent on crap. We're lucky enough to still have our jobs though.

Started a side job doing wooden sculptures from reclaimed timber and it's doing well despite the economic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There is something very sad about a broken biscuit.

Just released that yesterday as I was tucking into a pack of Ginger Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Ive an option, I can have fish with herbs abd rice, which is ok. Or I can have rashers, eggs, beans, with batch loaf bread. Think ill take the second option, there's nothing like messy food

second option

but I recommend you add a potato waffle. and grated cheese.

once cooked, spoon beans onto waffle. sprinkle grated cheese on the beans. put under grill until cheese is melted and bubbly and just a little bit burny.

Cheesy Beany Waffles (tm) + egg + rashers. And lots of butter on your batch bread - use the last corner of the bread to mop and clean the plate and you won't even have to wash up!

washed down with a mug of steaming hot tae.

Would there be anything to be said for a custard cream?

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    second option

but I recommend you add a potato waffle. and grated cheese.

once cooked, spoon beans onto waffle. sprinkle grated cheese on the beans. put under grill until cheese is melted and bubbly and just a little bit burny.

Cheesy Beany Waffles (tm) + egg + rashers. And lots of butter on your batch bread - use the last corner of the bread to mop and clean the plate and you won't even have to wash up!

I like they way you think right down to the mopping up with the batch, alas i've no waffles

Would there be anything to be said for a custard cream?

No tang in custard creams, there was a biscuit called lemon puffs they were lovely don't know if they still sell them. I might have gotten rid off second part of the name, or changed the whole name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have re discovered Fig Rolls since husband decided we needed four packs in case of starvation . Must say they are my new obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I ate a full bag of wine gums today. The sense of guilt is overwhelming. Wasn’t worth it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have re discovered Fig Rolls since husband decided we needed four packs in case of starvation . Must say they are my new obsession

I find when eating fig rolls, I wonder how they get the figs into the figroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lol , a blast from the past

Muppet Man wrote: »
    I ate a full bag of wine gums today. The sense of guilt is overwhelming. Wasn’t worth it.

Try american hard gums no guilt attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Anyone fancy a friday night Vesta Curry ?

I like digestives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Boards user No 225243 ( Figerty ) might explain it to you if you ask nicely :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement