Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tooth extraction - Medical Card

Options
  • 15-06-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hey guys,

sorry if i come across as having a sense of entitlement. I dont. I just want to know am I being conned.

So I got a very sore tooth on Thursday. rang around and couldnt get an appointment until 9am this morning, saturday at a franchise.

When I went in I filled out a form and had to include my medical card number. I ended up having to get an extraction. I have had extractions before nd there was no pain afterwards but my god was there pain during and after and still is despite the strong painkillers.

I was charged 100e which didnt even register with me.

After I woke up from my nap I got thinking about it and looked it up. Apparently extractions are covered.

So I emailed them and got this response

The dentist that you were seen by today cannot accept medical card patients, if you had let us know before your appointment we could have booked you in for a different day to be seen by a dentist that can accept medical cards.

If you can provide me now with your medical card number I can update your file so that you can use your medical card for future appointments.

but like i filled out the form beforehand and put in my medical card number.

Am I right or wrong? I mean if I legit had to pay I wouldnt mind. But hate being conned.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

€100 for an extraction seems expensive, did you have an x-ray taken as well ? Usually when you need to see a dentist for the medical card you call them first to ask them do they take the medical card, and if they do take it then you bring the card to them and that's it, they take your details and that is the end of it. You do have to ask them firstly if they take the medical card though. Always phone them first and ask. I personally couldn't get a dentist before to take the medical card so I just paid to have the extraction which cost €45 only. I would have paid €1,000 just to get that sucker taken out as the pain was terrible.

I'm not sure if you can get redress with your money, maybe some-one else can advise whether you can.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Unfortunately most dentists do not participate in the medical card scheme and the default position is that you are a private patient unless you request at the time of booking that you want treatment with your card. Assume they are private unless you confirm that they participate. You would have had to wait on the first available appointment with a participating dentist which may have been weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cooper89

€100 for an extraction seems expensive, did you have an x-ray taken as well ? Usually when you need to see a dentist for the medical card you call them first to ask them do they take the medical card, and if they do take it then you bring the card to them and that's it, they take your details and that is the end of it. You do have to ask them firstly if they take the medical card though. Always phone them first and ask. I personally couldn't get a dentist before to take the medical card so I just paid to have the extraction which cost €45 only. I would have paid €1,000 just to get that sucker taken out as the pain was terrible.

I'm not sure if you can get redress with your money, maybe some-one else can advise whether you can.

Thank you. Just so I know I dont mind. Yeah at the time i didnt care how much it was.

Advertisement