Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Copa America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't believe they didn't at the very least tell the ref to go take a look at that tackle in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

End to end chances again. Miyoshi and Cavani. Japan have been a welcome addition to the tournament.

2-1! Miyoshi again. Muslera poor there.

Think this is only Miyoshi's second cap and he's got two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair play to Japan! Playing some lovely stuff in the final third, putting on real pressure, and putting away a great move. No fear in them.

Lovely take and strike from Suarez there, and good save!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great header. Inch perfect.

2-2. Gimenez with the nice header. Japan seemed to be stunned since they went in front.

Great game, pure chaos with plenty of class too.

Suarez unlucky. That was a great header.

Even without the explosive pace he used to have, Suarez is still just brilliant. Some of the little moments of technique mixed with sheer force of will are unreal. That take in the box a min ago was fantastic, using his strength to reach a ball he had no right to, while at exactly the same time cushioning it delicately down right where he wanted it. It's a combo he pulls off all the time, but I can't really think of anyone else around who plays like him. Really, you're going back to the likes of Maradona and Dalglish, each fond of a touch of pure class while also making the most of their arses.

• Advertisement

Ends 2-2 which I think is a fair outcome. Enjoyable game. Credit to Japan for managing two goals as it's been a few games since Uruguay even conceded at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is it harsh to say that's an incredibly bad result for Uruguay considering how inexperienced most of that Japanese side are.
    I was looking at Colombia vs Qatar and thought much the same in terms of the standard; that it's no wonder the South American teams did f**k all at the last world cup looking at the quality on the pitch & not whats on paper.

Ecuador vs Chile kicks off at midnight with Ecuador looking to get their first points of the group. A Chile win moves them top.
    Ecuador XI: Dominguez; Velasco, Achilier, Arboleda, Ramirez; Gruezo, Mendez, Orejeuela; Mena, Valencia, Ibarra.

Chile XI: Arias; Isla, Medel, Maripan, Beausejour; Pulgar, Aranguiz, Vidal; Fuenzalida, Alexis Sanchez, Vargas.

Ecuador have made 6 changes. No surprises with the Chile team. I'll say a Chile win by two goals.

Lovely strike from Fuenzalida in off the post to give Chile the lead.

1-1. Ecuador equalise via Enner Valencia from the penalty spot. Chile shoot themselves in the foot.

More VAR drama as Chile keeper Arias gets a yellow after a long review for fouling outside his area. I didn't think it was a foul. Good point by the commentator after numerous replays, "if they're having to analyse it this long then surely it's not a clear and obvious error?" This is the issue I have with how it's being implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lovely strike from Fuenzalida in off the post to give Chile the lead.

1-1. Ecuador equalise via Enner Valencia from the penalty spot. Chile shoot themselves in the foot.

More VAR drama as Chile keeper Arias gets a yellow after a long review for fouling outside his area. I didn't think it was a foul. Good point by the commentator after numerous replays, "if they're having to analyse it this long then surely it's not a clear and obvious error?" This is the issue I have with how it's being implemented.

I thought it was only supposed to be used for penalties, goals and red cards?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I thought it was only supposed to be used for penalties, goals and red cards?

Not sure what the instruction is tbh. I keep hearing 'clear and obvious errors' being mentioned by commentators yet they often seem to be reviewing very marginal incidents which don't look clear or obvious.

2-1 Chile via Alexis Sanchez with a little under half an hour remaining. Didn't look like he got the connection he wanted but it beat the keeper.

Ecuador down to ten men. Defender Achilier sent off for an elbow on Vidal. Two reds in two games for them.

Full-Time. Reigning champs Chile win 2-1 and advance to the quarter-finals. Aranguiz and Pulgar played well. They'll meet Uruguay next to determine who tops the group. Ecuador not up to it really and lack quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I think this might be the first Copa America where the final group games are played at the same time.

Wish it all wasn't on at the same time. There's also African Cup of Nations, U-21 Euros and the Women's World Cup all on this evening as well!

My plan is to watch one of the Euros games and Peru vs Brazil on the app. Teams:
    Peru XI: Gallese; Advincula, Araujo, Abram, Trauco; Tapia; Polo, Cueva, Yotun, Farfan; Guerrero.

Brazil XI: Alisson; D. Alves, Marquinhos, T. Silva, F. Luis; Arthur, Casemiro; Jesus, Coutinho, Everton; Firmino.

Group as it stands:

Brazil - 4 pts
    Peru - 4 pts
    Venezuela - 2 pts
    Bolivia - 0 pts

Venezuela expected to beat Bolivia to see them through. I think Brazil will advance even if they finish third as they'd be one of the better third-placed teams. Would take an unlikely set of results to see them eliminated. Fancy them to win this evening and top the group. Hopefully it's an attacking game.

• Advertisement

Casemiro gives Brazil the lead. Scruffy goal from a set-piece.

Firmino makes it 2-0 after a howler from the keeper. Good pressure from Firmino. Tough for Peru now.

3-0 Brazil. Everton with a nice low strike but think the keeper again could do better. Don't think he's focused atm.

That was a nice Brazil move to make it 4-0. Dani Alves with the finish. Game over now.

Willian with a wonderful strike to make it 5-0.

Peru keeper Gallese, who has had a horror show, gives away a pen by fouling Jesus but then redeems himself somewhat by saving from him.

Full-Time and it ends 5-0. Brazil look like they're approaching their top form now. They top the group. Venezuela second after beating Bolivia 3-1. Peru have to rely on getting through via 3rd place.

Argentina vs Qatar coming up at 8pm. Argentina need to win to keep their hopes of progressing alive or they'll face an embarrassing early exit.
    Argentina XI: Armani; Saravia, Foyth, Otamendi, Tagliafico; De Paul, Paredes, Lo Celso; Messi, Aguero, Martinez.

Qatar XI: Al Sheeb; Al-Rawi, Khoukhi, Salman; Ro-Ro, Al Haidos, Al Hajri, Hatem, Boudiaf; Afif; Ali.

Tottenham's Foyth comes into the starting XI. Aguero back as a starter too.

Looks a better Argentina team. Qatar have been stubborn and combative but surely Argentina can get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be quiet funny if Qatar knock Messi out of the Copa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It will be quiet funny if Qatar knock Messi out of the Copa.

Argentina are in such a bad state that it wouldn't even be a huge shock for anyone who follows their form.

• Advertisement

Lautaro Martinez opens the scoring early after a defensive howler. That should ease some of the nerves.

Dumpster fire play by Qatar for Martinez to open the scoring. Took it well mind

funny that the emptiest part of the stadium is the part the camera looks straight at. Weird choice in however they distributed the tickets... would’ve thought those would be the ones they’d make sure were full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It would be funny if Qatar draws this game and Argentina finishes last on goal difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Argentina making heavy work of this. Amazing that they simply can't get it together with a manager who can get basics right in their team.

At the end of the first half Qatar had a free kick which was poorly hit but the Argentinian wall fell apart and the ball ended up striking the post.

• Advertisement

Finally we see some Dyabala.

Aguero has arrived! 2-0. Game over. Not been his best game but he took that well.

Great goal Aguero.

Got the second. Don't know who their quarter final opponent may be but I'd be hard pressed to make Argentina favourites against too many of the teams in it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Got the second. Don't know who their quarter final opponent may be but I'd be hard pressed to make Argentina favourites against too many of the teams in it.

They'll face Venezuela with likely Brazil waiting in the semi final.

Pleased Argentina go on but think they could be on the end of a footballing lesson if they meet Brazil. I don't think they have the intensity to cope with them. Would likely require some Messi or Aguero brilliance to have a chance.

Interesting match tonight at midnight as Chile face Uruguay. Winner takes top spot.
    Chile XI: Arias; Medel, Jara, Maripan; Pulgar; Diaz, Opazo, Aranguiz, Hernandez; Sanchez, Vargas.

Uruguay XI: Muslera; Gonzalez, Jimenez, Godin, Caceres; Valverde, Betancur; De Arrascaeta, Lodeiro; Cavani, Suarez.

Hopefully a few goals in this. Japan taking on Ecuador in the other game as they both look to progress.

Chile starting like a house on fire! Very high paced stuff, wonder if they can keep it up.

<edit> this is mad stuff, feels like i'm watching it on fast-forward!

Surprised it's been so one-sided. Uruguay haven't turned up yet.

Surprised it's been so one-sided. Uruguay haven't turned up yet.

Reckon it has to settle down after 25 minutes or so... if Uruguay can keep things tight till then, they'll be alright I think.

• Advertisement

0-0 at Half-Time. Chile better overall but Uruguay started to have some chances before the break. Been impressed again with Pulgar; Sanchez seems up for it too. Think Torreira being introduced would help Uruguay in midfield.

1-1 between Ecuador and Japan in the other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The highlight of the Chile-Uruguay game so far at half time is Suarez trying to claim a handball against the goalkeeper.

Cavani! What a header!

Full-Time and Cavani's moment of quality is the difference that helps Uruguay top the group. Japan and Ecuador are eliminated after their 1-1 draw.

Here's how the quarter-finals now shape up:
    Brazil vs Paraguay

Venezuela vs Argentina

Colombia vs Chile

Uruguay vs Peru

Colombia vs Chile looks the pick of the games.

Rotten time for the Brazil vs Paraguay tie tonight in this part of the world: 1:30am. Should be a comfortable Brazil win surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think Argentina still might win this.

Brazil aren't anything to write home about and you feel if Messi turns it on he could easily score a hatrick or two in some of these knockout games. I can see him running riot against Brazil if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Messi might need to score hat tricks with that defence behind him. I think Brazil would have too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Some people suggesting Venezuela vs Argentina might be closer than expected?

I haven't seen too much of the tournament but Brazil drew 0-0 with them so perhaps they have a chance?

It is Venezuela, a baseball country, so it would be a bit of shock still if they knocked Messi and co.

Some people suggesting Venezuela vs Argentina might be closer than expected?

I haven't seen too much of the tournament but Brazil drew 0-0 with them so perhaps they have a chance?

It is Venezuela, a baseball country, so it would be a bit of shock still if they knocked Messi and co.

Pretty sure Venezuela beat them in March in a friendly where both played strong enough sides.
    Doesn't help Argentina play basically without a gameplan, have a midfield that isn't performing with a defense that looks shaky & a manager the players don't rate. They've good forward options but have had better ones in the past tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

0-0 at halftime between Brazil and Paraguay. Brazil look like they are trying to rush things too much. Paraguay for the most part have been disciplined although three yellow cards may cause them problems in the second half.
    Arthur and Allan don't look great together in the deep midfield roles, I think a change is required there.

Advertisement