Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implants in now ready for crowns

Options
  • 12-06-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all I have had straumann implants installed and am now ready to get crowns, 4 needed in total I have got one price locally{southeast} which seemed very excessive so am willing to travel up north or abroad any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

machu wrote: »
    Hi all I have had straumann implants installed and am now ready to get crowns, 4 needed in total I have got one price locally{southeast} which seemed very excessive so am willing to travel up north or abroad any recommendations appreciated.

Why not have the crowns placed in the Clinic that did the implants?

Any other Dentist who puts the crowns on may be accepting responsibility for the success of the implants, you may be asked to sign a waiver. In essence, if the implants fail, neither accepts responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

The clinic I had the implants done with don't fit the crowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Who referee you to that clinic so, get them fit there. Cheaper clinic may not restore straumann implants. You have already spent a good bit of money so dont make a mess of it now by deciding you can save a few bob by getting the lowest bidder to do it. Dentists tend to know the value of their work.

Yes a lot of money already spent I have got a quote from my own dentist and it comes to a lot more than the implants cost. I am not trying to skrimp on it now just looking for some recommendations so I can shop around is all.

machu wrote: »
    Yes a lot of money already spent I have got a quote from my own dentist and it comes to a lot more than the implants cost. I am not trying to skrimp on it now just looking for some recommendations so I can shop around is all.

But wouldn’t you have got that quote for the crowns before you were referred?

• Advertisement

I got referred to the clinic which placed the implants. Before I had the implants done I was given an X-ray to show my dentist to get a quote which seemed very steep. I had heard from acquaintances the clinic I was attending was very good so I decided to get the implants done and hopefully get the crowns done at a more reasonable price.

the crowns always cost a lot more than the implant insertion because its has a large lab bill and requires more time.

Best advice, get them done with the origional dentist despite the cost, they are used to working with the implant surgeons and the system. You might only save a few hundred euro at best and have to travel a lot and have to travel a lot when the inevitable complications need fixing.

Too late after the foundations are put in to ask how much the house will cost.

I totally agree with you fitzgeme it would be foolish not to finish the job correctly at this stage.

I do think obtaining a couple of more quotes would if at a more favorable price might help my cause in negotiating a better price. I havn't spoken to my dentist face to face the quote i got was via a call from the receptionist so making an appointment and having a quick chat about the procedure might be beneficial no harm trying.

If though there was a big difference in price with a dentist with good recommendations I would travel.

Anyone with recommendations please feel free to pm me.

Thanks.

You are now at a huge disadvantage, the implants have been placed and you will be calling clinics asking them to quote without seeing you, the implants and knowing the surgeon. I suspect you won’t get many replies, those that do will no doubt take no responsibility for the success of the implant. A lot will assume there is a problem if you are not having them restored by your referring dentist.

The time to shop around was before the implants were placed.

what Davo said X 1000, this is not a commodity good to be bought and traded at will, this is surgery. I would only travel for dental surgery if you own time is worthless and you dont mind having very inconvenient aftercare. People ring my clinic all the time looking for me to restore other peoples implants, generally I encourage them go back to the original dentist, and if not I have to load the costs to cover the unknown risks I am taking. Anyone who doesn't do this is an inexperienced amateur.

• Advertisement
Advertisement