Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The next big challenge for the women's game is not money related, it's the ability to develop a sustainable and predictable style of play based on accuracy rather than what we have seen too much of - chaotic turnover with shockingly low success rate in attempted transition phases of play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

1st game of the tournament I’ve watched and it was very enjoyable. Some amount of foul throws :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

US easily the best team in the tournament, had their toughest game against France. Netherlands should be favourites against Sweden but I expect US to win the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Clareman wrote: »
    The American Football way where coaches get 2 challenges per half, they keep them if they are wrong calls, they lose them otherwise, bit like the way Tennis does it, or cricket, having every event reviewed means everyone is always just looking to the corner to see if there's going to be a VAR review. In this game England would have a goal and wouldn't have had a penalty if it wasn't for VAR although I think refs are not calling things now as they know VAR will review it.

American football is a poor enough example as the 'VAR' is not just limited to coaches challenges like you suggest - lots of plays are booth reviewed including every scoring play. And every single play within the last X minutes of each half.

Cricket isn't as straightforward as you think either. As well as the challenges each team has the umpires will often go to the VAR equivalent to check things regardless - run outs, catches to see if the ball hit the ground first, boundaries to see if the fielder saved a boundary or not, all wickets checked for a front foot no-ball.

Which is not to say football is doing it perfectly right, but it's operation is actually quite close to 2 of the sports you mentioned as being ones to emulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The next big challenge for the women's game is not money related, it's the ability to develop a sustainable and predictable style of play based on accuracy rather than what we have seen too much of - chaotic turnover with shockingly low success rate in attempted transition phases of play.

I think that's a bit harsh, the skill levels, fitness, goalkeeping and finishing has improved dramatically. That was a great game tonight and more entertaining than a lot of other games on TV.

(Bar the throw-ins, they were pretty bad :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The amount of foul throws is driving me bananas, do the refs or players even know the difference between a foul and correct throw in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

siblers wrote: »
    The amount of foul throws is driving me bananas, do the refs or players even know the difference between a foul and correct throw in?

You genuinely wouldn't see it in under 10's here

Oh Please. These women have played in more games than you've ever participated in. It was a focusing problem, they're in a WC Semi and want to get the ball moving asap and made a simple mistake.

I see foul throws all the time in the Prem(foot over the line, leg up when throwing etc) but the refs very rarely call them.

I find these womens games quite refreshing, way less diving, less cynical fouling and less complaining to the ref compared to the men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

America should win this. For a number of their players it will be their Third final in a row so they have the experience.

They'll hope to play the Netherlands ahead of Sweden though, I think.

The Swedes knocked them out of the last Olympics by playing a Mourinho-esque flat back 10.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    You genuinely wouldn't see it in under 10's here

Foul throws are constant in the men's game too. Have been for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Weepsie wrote: »
    Foul throws are constant in the men's game too. Have been for years.

I honestly can’t remember seeing a foul throw in the men’s game in the season gone. I seen 3 in 15 minutes tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This was at the World Cup... The Men's one.

The Mig wrote: »
    I honestly can’t remember seeing a foul throw in the men’s game in the season gone. I seen 3 in 15 minutes tonight!

It happens in most Prem games but the refs don’t call them.
    Ironic though:

https://youtu.be/iXpRsX51QcY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FatherTed wrote: »

Oh Please. These women have played in more games than you've ever participated in. It was a focusing problem, they're in a WC Semi and want to get the ball moving asap and made a simple mistake.

I see foul throws all the time in the Prem(foot over the line, leg up when throwing etc) but the refs very rarely call them.

I find these womens games quite refreshing, way less diving, less cynical fouling and less complaining to the ref compared to the men.

Will you follow the woman's game instead of the men's next season on?

I think there are two sides to it, the poor transitions are making the games more end to end and seemingly more exciting. Also need to remember that most of the players at the WC play in front of much smaller crowds usually and the pressure must be immense. But there are strides it can continue to make, saying that shouldn't be brushed off due to it being more "honest" - which is a debate in itself . So is Sunday league and underage football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

America should win this. For a number of their players it will be their Third final in a row so they have the experience.

They'll hope to play the Netherlands ahead of Sweden though, I think.

The Swedes knocked them out of the last Olympics by playing a Mourinho-esque flat back 10.
    They will probably win Ok. If Sweden get through and do that they'll both be carbon copies of each other! US approach is get the goal, try for more on the counter but otherwise lock it down. Mourinho-esque yes but they are very good at it. They have a weakness in the centre of defence as both England and Spain showed but it's very hard to exploit because they get so many other players to protect them. I wouldn't completely discount Netherlands. They are the current UEFA champions, can score goals and are physically up to either of the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,273 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

English people on social media going crazy at Alex Morgans celebration last night has to be a good laugh

English people on social media going crazy at Alex Morgans celebration last night has to be a good laugh
    Yep although I'm concerned about her health. She seems to have developed vertigo! :D

In theory - and I stress in theory - if it was a reference to the tea drinking caricature of an English person it would be a laugh, but if she was referring to the Boston Tea Party and the Amercian revolution it could be political. But think the authorities would be a laughing stock themselves if they pursued that, particularly as blatantly political and provocative gestures by Swiss players against Serbia in the men's World Cup just resulted in fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

In theory - and I stress in theory - if it was a reference to the tea drinking caricature of an English person it would be a laugh, but if she was referring to the Boston Tea Party and the Amercian revolution it could be political. But think the authorities would be a laughing stock themselves if they pursued that, particularly as blatantly political and provocative gestures by Swiss players against Serbia in the men's World Cup just resulted in fines.

It's not exactly a mad political statement to say Americans are fond of the independence they got 250(?) years ago.

I like to think it's a dig as Neville saying visiting a hotel wasn't very British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't think it's all that politically charged! As far as I know, ''drinking tea'' is a basic white girl thing. It's akin to getting the gossip. Just a daft gimmick. Remember the ''but that's none of my business'' meme from a year or two back?

258eef3f1104cc9ccc69db4ce9903a28--funny-jesus-quotes-funny-quotes-and-sayings.jpg

WWE Wrestlers Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair did it recently too.

c76a32d00ed82bffed26e1ddc70cd988.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,273 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Think is playing up that Americans have been calling her their queen.

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTS/status/1146327411069456385?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

is_that_so wrote: »
    They will probably win Ok. If Sweden get through and do that they'll both be carbon copies of each other! US approach is get the goal, try for more on the counter but otherwise lock it down. Mourinho-esque yes but they are very good at it. They have a weakness in the centre of defence as both England and Spain showed but it's very hard to exploit because they get so many other players to protect them. I wouldn't completely discount Netherlands. They are the current UEFA champions, can score goals and are physically up to either of the other two.

Netherlands start really strong, but have a tendency to fade and get tired looking going into the last 30 minutes or so... if they're going to win it (if they actually make the final that is), i think they need to get a 2 goal lead before then, otherwise the US will pick them off late on. US have a habit of scoring early themselves as well, so would be a tough ask. Think it would be a brilliant first half at least though, very high tempo and aggressive. That US defense is tailor made for van de Sanden to break beyond with her wide runs - for as long as she can keep them up.
    The Mig wrote: »

The premiership is fairly bad for them alright... I'd say I tend to see fairly close to one per game. Not overt ones, but foul throws none-the-less. Like when someones legs are facing straight forward, but they spot a run up the line, and swivel their upper body to throw that way and it ends up not being directly over their head, but sort of more over their shoulder. Or when there's a quick ball on, and instead of their arms starting fully behind, they just do a quick jerking motion right above their head. Also see plenty of late releases, where they're sort of throwing 'down' to someone in close. The occasional foot over the line too. None of these ever get called though.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Netherlands start really strong, but have a tendency to fade and get tired looking going into the last 30 minutes or so... if they're going to win it (if they actually make the final that is), i think they need to get a 2 goal lead before then, otherwise the US will pick them off late on. US have a habit of scoring early themselves as well, so would be a tough ask. Think it would be a brilliant first half at least though, very high tempo and aggressive, with lots of runs in behind.
    I'm not sure that the US would pick them off. Beyond 75m they don't seem interested in anything except parking the bus and doing waltzes with the corner flag. Their approach has been odd but they have had huge holes in central defence. I agree on the Dutch, they may not get through. I think both teams would cause the US problems but I'd like to see the Swedes face them.

I'm not sure that the US would pick them off. Beyond 75m they don't seem interested in anything except parking the bus and doing waltzes with the corner flag. Their approach has been odd but they have had huge holes in central defence. I agree on the Dutch, they may not get through. I think both teams would cause the US problems but I'd like to see the Swedes face them.

Because they've always been ahead, and just protecting their lead. They're great for closing games out when they're ahead, do so very comfortably for the most part.

But they look fairly consistently to be the fitter team as games wear on, so I think if they found themselves 1 behind with 20 minutes to go, they'd be able to outrun the opposition - especially the Netherlands, who really faded badly against Japan (especially notable as they'd been running rings around Japan in the first half, first to every single ball).

Agreed that the Swedes would cause them more problems, even though the Dutch are better technically I think. The Swedes would just be very resolute and tough to break down, and have a few weapons on the break in Blackstenius and Jakobsson.

Because they've always been ahead, and just protecting their lead. They're great for closing games out when they're ahead, do so very comfortably for the most part.

But they look fairly consistently to be the fitter team as games wear on, so I think if they found themselves 1 behind with 20 minutes to go, they'd be able to outrun the opposition - especially the Netherlands, who really faded badly against Japan (especially notable as they'd been running rings around Japan in the first half, first to every single ball).
    I'm really not convinced by them and don't see them being ahead of the rest by an awful lot now. They may well win this but someone will puncture this tactic they are using sooner or later. I think the US have had a whole lot of luck too in this tournament where they were really hanging on and just about got there.

I'm really not convinced by them and don't see them being ahead of the rest by an awful lot now. They may well win this but someone will puncture this tactic they are using sooner or later. I think the US have had a whole lot of luck too in this tournament where they were really hanging on and just about got there.

Totally agree - think this will be their last year of domination. Other nations are up with, or even ahead of them in terms of skill and technical ability now. Where they're still on top is basic professionalism and athletic prowess. They've been well funded and well drilled for a long time now, and that still shows. But even with that they've been almost caught up on, so i think its only a matter of time until European countries dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Totally agree - think this will be their last year of domination. Other nations are up with, or even ahead of them in terms of skill and technical ability now. Where they're still on top is basic professionalism and athletic prowess. They've been well funded and well drilled for a long time now, and that still shows. But even with that they've been almost caught up on, so i think its only a matter of time until European countries dominate.

Basic professionalism in what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭jacool

This will be physical. Whoever wins will be tired and have 1 day less to recover. I think this could go all the way to penalties, where Sweden will prevail.
    Hope its a 2-2 thriller!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I am up for Sweden but happy to see either team win tbh. Hopefully it's a good game!

RTE have relegated this to the fuzzy tg4 station. HD on BBC One obviously but Mr Pearce also.

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »

I think there are two sides to it, the poor transitions are making the games more end to end and seemingly more exciting. Also need to remember that most of the players at the WC play in front of much smaller crowds usually and the pressure must be immense. But there are strides it can continue to make, saying that shouldn't be brushed off due to it being more "honest" - which is a debate in itself . So is Sunday league and underage football

Not sure what you mean by this. I do both. I'm in the US so I have actually attended a few US internationals(was at the 1999 WC opener in Giants Stadium) and also went to a local NWSL (Sky Blue FC) last year. Also go to some NY Red Bulls games each season. Plus I referee games in the Spring and Fall seasons for U-14 thru U-19(High School level) for both boys and girls.

As for the US, their strength is their depth. Rapinoe gets injured, no problem, Press comes in and scores and does a good job with Dunn in closing down Bronze yesterday. They also have Lloyd, Kriger, Brien and Pugh, all very experienced(except Pugh) to bring on from the subs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought it was going to be another hand of God goal there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This thread is a ghost town tonight, obviously this match up hasn't captured the imagination like last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's no villans to boo. yesterday we wanted both teams to lose, not even a VAR to complain about in the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FatherTed wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by this. I do both. I'm in the US so I have actually attended a few US internationals(was at the 1999 WC opener in Giants Stadium) and also went to a local NWSL (Sky Blue FC) last year. Also go to some NY Red Bulls games each season. Plus I referee games in the Spring and Fall seasons for U-14 thru U-19(High School level) for both boys and girls.

As for the US, their strength is their depth. Rapinoe gets injured, no problem, Press comes in and scores and does a good job with Dunn in closing down Bronze yesterday. They also have Lloyd, Kriger, Brien and Pugh, all very experienced(except Pugh) to bring on from the subs.

Wasn't meaning anything at all. There is a good deal of activity in this thread,was just wondering if it will lead to a wider interest or is it "world cup only"?

Especially with the number of articles I have read stating the women's game is better in a number of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wasn't meaning anything at all. There is a good deal of activity in this thread,was just wondering if it will lead to a wider interest or is it "world cup only"?

Especially with the number of articles I have read stating the women's game is better in a number of ways.

It's world cup only.

It's the most promoted WWC this side of the world ever.

Prime time TV slots
    Lots of media attention.

But it will not last

As another poster pointed out even here is quite when it's not a big deal like USA v England was last night.

It's like Stoke V Huddersfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Blackstenius v Bloodworth sounds like a medieval knight duel :pac:

764dak wrote: »
    Basic professionalism in what way?

Money mostly - they've just been better resourced than any other country for the majority of the current player's careers. Their association has paid for top level nutritionalists, fitness coaches, facilities etc. Sadly not the case for other national teams (we know the shambles the Irish team was in for instance, with most of the players having to work day jobs, and not even being given their own team tracksuits).

But the other big European nations are finally starting to catch up in this regard. Can still see that bit of a difference coming in general fitness and conditioning. Other teams have some players who can play at a high tempo for 90 minutes, and others who wain... with the US they all seem all very fit and resilient. Have looked so good in those final moments of games, snuffing out the opposition well. That extra fitness has also helped cover their defensive frailties I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This thread is a ghost town tonight, obviously this match up hasn't captured the imagination like last night.

I have it on the tv but I'd say I've looked at it for about 5 minutes in total, spent most of the time on my phone.Not interesting at all compared to yesterday

Although while I'm typing this there was finally a bit of action

Swedes looking the more likely this half.

RTE have relegated this to the fuzzy tg4 station. HD on BBC One obviously but Mr Pearce also.

Enjoyed him talking about how much better the atmosphere was yesterday.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's no villans to boo. yesterday we wanted both teams to lose, not even a VAR to complain about in the first half

16 fouls vs 2

There's a villain, if you want one.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Enjoyed him talking about how much better the atmosphere was yesterday.

"The band here, if there is a band here, is not a patch on the England band yesterday!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What a save by Lindahl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

2 great saves by the goalkeepers, starting to liven up now

Interesting that Van De Sanden didn't start... great option to be able to bring on, think we'll see them hitting that right wing non stop now. Wicked fast, and a good cross.

0-0 after normal time. The Swedes should have had a pen, so can feel a bit aggrieved.

Everyone just looks tired now though. Think it'll come down to either Van De Sanden, or Jakobsson on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Commentators say it’s a poor game , I thought it’s engrossing. Only saw the second half though

cjmc wrote: »
    Commentators say it’s a poor game , I thought it’s engrossing. Only saw the second half though

Same, I've found it pretty enjoyable. Very tense stuff, both sides definitely making sure not to lose, but still been plenty of chances, some great play, and a few cracking saves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement