Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Women's World Cup

• 28-05-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭

All games live on the BBC either BBC One, Red Button or Website

Group A France, South Korea, Norway, Nigeria
    Group B Germany, China, Spain, South Africa
    Group C Australia, Italy, Brazil, Jamaica
    Group D England, Scotland, Argentina, Japan
    Group E Canada, Cameroon, New Zealand, Netherlands
    Group F USA, Thailand, Chile, Sweden

Group Fixtures
    Friday June 7th

France V South Korea - 8pm

Saturday June 8th
    Germany V China - 2pm
    Spain V South Africa - 5pm
    Norway V Nigeria - 8pm

Sunday June 9th
    Australia V Italy - 12pm
    Brazil V Jamica - 2:30pm
    England V Scotland - 5pm

Monday June 10th
    Argentina V Japan - 5pm
    Canada V Cameroon - 8pm

Tuesday June 11th
    New Zealand V Netherlands - 2pm
    Chile V Sweden - 5pm
    USA V Thailand - 8pm

Wednesday June 12th
    Nigeria V South Korea - 2pm
    Germany V Spain - 5pm
    France V Norway - 8pm

Thursday June 13th
    Australia V Brazil - 5pm
    South Africa V China - 8pm

Friday June 14th
    Japan V Scotland - 2pm
    Jamaica V Italy - 5pm
    England V Argentina - 8pm

Saturday June 15th
    NetherlandS V Cameroon - 2pm
    Canada V New Zealand - 8pm

Sunday June 16th
    Sweden V Thailand - 2pm
    USA V Chile - 5pm

Monday June 17th
    South Africa V Germany - 5pm
    China V Spain - 5pm
    Nigeria V France - 8pm
    South Korea V Norway - 8pm

Tuesday June 18th
    Jamaica V Australia - 8pm
    Italy V Brazil - 8pm

Wednesday June 19th
    Japan V England - 8pm
    Scotland V Argentina - 8pm

Thursday June 20th
    Netherlands V Canada - 5pm
    Cameroon V New Zealand - 5pm
    Sweden V USA - 8pm
    Thailand V Chile - 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Think Scotland might surprise England. Hopefully I'm wrong and the Lionesses tonk them, but fancy the Scots to get at least a draw.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Pretty sure RTE are televising a good few of the games as well,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Jamaica will be my team - Jamaica/Brazil should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pretty sure RTE are televising a good few of the games as well,

You are right, RTE and TG4 will be showing all games between them

https://extra.ie/2019/04/16/sport/soccernews/womens-world-cup-tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Much interest in this?

Can't see myself watching much if I'm honest.

Who are the favourites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it will be very poor.

Women's football has improved but the standard generally is poor. Game is too slow & Goalkeepers are awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Think it was the Chelsea women's coach who said last week that women's goals should be slightly smaller. Hard to disagree, you see an uncommon amount of soft lobs soaring over female keepers.

I'll be watching, and as soon as England go out I'll move on to supporting anyone but the USA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

France are the best side imo. The US will be thereabouts. Japan might be, Germany might be, England believe they will be. Netherlands were very good at the Euros, handily beating England.

The Scandinavian teams flatter to deceive and Norway badly miss Hegerberg. Denmark were excellent against England but lost 2-0 last week. Summed up England very well.

Anyone but the US and England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Looking forward to this. That US team are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was surprised and disappointed to learn Hegerberg is boycotting playing for the Norway team as I was interested in seeing her play. Saw a comment from a fan on The Guardian that gave a bit of insight into it and it sounds similar to Ireland's Keane fiasco in '02.
    Norwegian here.

The simple answer is that she threw her toys out the pram. Though she was supposed to be the star player carrying the team in 2017, but was perhaps the player that disappointed the most. In the fallout of that disastrous campaign, she immediately started pointing fingers and implicitly saying she was too good for the national set up.

That of course, is the simple answer. The reality is a bit more complex, as some of those pointing fingers were well-placed. The organisation around the women's team in 2017 was - for the lack of a better word - ****e, and being used to the professional set-up at Lyon, Hegerberg was righly angered by the support staff's inability to organise even simple things.

However, the football association - probably spurred by the humilitation - has since taken steps to clean up their act, and the women side has new management, lead by former player Lise Klaveness. Sjögren's side has developed a lot, and Klaveness has been making moves to reconcile with Hegerberg.

Despite attempts at a solution, Hegerberg has remained aloof. Despite being given the chance in numerous interviews, she has never clarified what it would take for her to return, usually making vague statements such as 'the set-up isn't right'.

Nowadays, Hegerberg conveniently hides behind the idea that it would be wrong for her to waltz right into the team after everyone else fought through qualification. There's no indication that she'll be willing to return to the team after the tournament, however.

In sum, it's not really clear what the issue is. There's no clear concensus in Norway, with some believing she's simply a primadonna who believes she's too good for the national team. Some believe she's a cynic who prioritieses her team career. Other's still take her side and place the blame squarely on the association.

My personal opinion is that it's probably a mix of all of them, though more weighted towards the former two reasons. If it was just about the national team being poorly run, I'd expect some of the other senior players, such as Maren Mjelde or Isabell Herlovsen to voice their concerns as well. However, it appears that Hegerberg is the only one with an issue. Besides, the Argentine football association is a proper cluster****, but Messi has been carrying that team on his shoulders for at least ten years regardless (one non-retirement aside). Make that of what you will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The TG4 commentary should be good:)

dfx- wrote: »
    France are the best side imo. The US will be thereabouts. Japan might be, Germany might be, England believe they will be. Netherlands were very good at the Euros, handily beating England.

The Scandinavian teams flatter to deceive and Norway badly miss Hegerberg. Denmark were excellent against England but lost 2-0 last week. Summed up England very well.

Anyone but the US and England.

Could/should easily have been 3 or 4 to Denmark in that warm up game. Any sort of composure in front of goal and they'd have won it, England were woeful. That's why I'd be dubious about England even getting out of the group, though they played a lot better in that she believes cup or whatever it's called in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. That US team are great.

.. until they play an U15 boys team:p

Jus watched the Warm up game between England and New Zealand (who hadn't won for 12 games).

England are winning fcuk all.

England poor again against New Zealand. England with all the ball but rarely threatened. The amount of times players turned back into trouble was off the scale.

NZ well worth the win and they have an excellent keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I will cheer for Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some awful teams in this, could be some miss matches. 24 teams might be a bit much for a developing sport esepcially in Africa and central america

wadacrack wrote: »
    Some awful teams in this, could be some miss matches. 24 teams might be a bit much for a developing sport esepcially in Africa and central america
    No Central American teams qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

764dak wrote: »
    No Central American teams qualified.

Your right, should have been the Carribbean. France the USA look well ahead of the rest. England struggling for form in their recent friendlies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

MD1990 wrote: »
    it will be very poor.

Women's football has improved but the standard generally is poor. Game is too slow & Goalkeepers are awful.

Right the game is a bit slower but it's also refreshing with much less diving and complaining and better sportsmanship than the men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Wish people would stop comparing the women’s game to the men’s game. You NEVER hear people dismissing the achievements of Sonia O’Sullivan, Laura Muir, Allyson Felix etc because they are slower than Irish male club level athletes. It’s common knowledge that men are stronger and faster than women. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Wish people would stop comparing the women’s game to the men’s game. You NEVER hear people dismissing the achievements of Sonia O’Sullivan, Laura Muir, Allyson Felix etc because they are slower than Irish male club level athletes. It’s common knowledge that men are stronger and faster than women. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

Agree it is a completely different game, and shouldn't be compared to male football.

It is also a game/tournament that doesn't interest me, but that is totally ok. In the same way I have no interest in Badminton. I see no need to do it down, its just not for me at all - especially with no Irish representation.

Anyways, what I came in to say is it will be very interesting to see what the viewing figures are for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Agree it is a completely different game, and shouldn't be compared to male football.

It is also a game/tournament that doesn't interest me, but that is totally ok. In the same way I have no interest in Badminton. I see no need to do it down, its just not for me at all - especially with no Irish representation.

Anyways, what I came in to say is it will be very interesting to see what the viewing figures are for this.

I think it might be a slow burner viewing wise. V little else to watch midweek once summer starts. Think it could prove a big breakthrough for female sports actually.

I think it might be a slow burner viewing wise. V little else to watch midweek once summer starts. Think it could prove a big breakthrough for female sports actually.

What viewing figures would you see as a success for the tournament (say at a semi final level)?

England going far would be a good thing for viewing figures I would imagine. Anything that gets people out playing or inspired to play sports is a good thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

764dak wrote: »
    I will cheer for Jamaica.

12 US born and 3 Canadian born players in the Jamaica squad.

Also, looking forward to seeing what Mallory Pugh does for the US. Last time round it was Carli Lloyd(whos still around but like 37 now) who stole the show with a hat-trick in the final with this goal from the half way line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBosyOJ3PIY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Big breakthrough for female football you mean.

Some sports such as athletics have been gender equal for years and the women are just as big a draw for viewers and spectators as the men are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Hope Solo saying the difference in the prize money in the woman's world cup compared to the men's world cup is down to "male chauvinism".

When you compare the amount of money generated from each tournament I don't see how you can complain about chauvinism. It's clear the money generated reflects the prize money offered.

I'd agree that grass roots women's football is completely underfunded and in some parts ignored, our own FAI being a prime example. FIFA and other football federations should be investing money into the women's game to build it up.

I'm looking forward to watching this tournament but I'll be switching over every time I see Solo on the tv, I think she is a thoroughly unlikable person with a very dodgy history, if she was a man she wouldn't get work as a pundit I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hope is talking through her hoop. I doubt I'll watch highlights let alone any games.

• Advertisement

World Cup shouldn't be about prize money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the women's game was paid remotely close to the men's it would quickly collapse under a pile of debt.

Presumably RTE have this as the rights are dirt cheap and it's fills summer airtime for little effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is she on RTÉ?

She comes from a national team that generates more money than the male equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Jus watched the Warm up game between England and New Zealand (who hadn't won for 12 games).

England are winning fcuk all.

Phil Neville as manager ffs. I saw a bizarre clip of him talking the other day to the squad about how he never made it into a World Cup squad for one reason or another, guessing it was some kind of attempt at motivating the squad or making them feel appreciative of being there.

They'll implode at some point and he'll be lynched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Is she on RTÉ?

She comes from a national team that generates more money than the male equivalent.

BBC

Chivito550 wrote: »

It's a different game, but it's not any athletic difference that is sometimes infuriating. The athletic side, the energy, stamina and among the better sides, the organisation is there. When they get on the ball or win the ball is where the problems start.

Indecision and miscommunication is constant, turning back on yourself into a tackle from a player you have just beaten is constant and the worst thing for some players is to be on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Worth watching for Alex Morgan alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

France - South Korea maybe a better watch than Denmark - Ireland tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Love that South Korea kit

South Korea are bad at the back. Already one down and will probably get much worse! Shame because they've a couple of decent players up front. Ji is quality.

Chelsea's representation at the world cup
    CLZdyfF.jpg

• Advertisement

Two nil France, this could end up a cricket score.

Or not. After VAR take an eternity to rule it out as offside. Still one nil.

Germany very lucky to be going in 0-0 at HT.

dfx- wrote: »
    Germany very lucky to be going in 0-0 at HT.

Better team in the second half and deservedly lead. Chinese like to get stuck in, some good, and less good tackles flying in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only caught the last half hour. Thought Germany were a lot cooler on the ball. Good flow to their play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Haven't watched women's football for a while, the standard is a lot better than I remember. Especially keepers, who used to be really poor. The way they play is a lot more organised and smoother.

I suppose that as the game grows in popularity it attracts a better class of athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

All the family loving the tournament so far. All have picked two teams just like last year for the men's tournament. Great fun. Would have loved to got a free poster of the groups, match schedules, etc but didn't see any in the newspapers. Still have the one from last year's men's world cup on the kitchen door!!!!

never a penalty for the second goal, red card either. VAR:rolleyes:

The ref, VAR, and commentator were biased towards Spain.

Poor from Nigeria's goalkeeper for Norway's 2nd.

3 nil, Nigeria falling apart. Shame because they looked well in it at one nil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement