Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Baggly wrote: »

I did wonder *why* he’d leave Juve for Utd, it never really made sense as a proposed move for a player in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kelleher willl be the second choice GK if they don't bring in another experienced backup. Even if they signed Lonergan, Caoimhin would be the second choice.

Liverpool set to sign Adrian (ex West Ham) this afternoon so that ties that up pretty handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I did wonder *why* he’d leave Juve for Utd, it never really made sense as a proposed move for a player in his prime.

Their director of sport wanted Lukaku and thought Dybala was the most likely to make United go for the deal so Juve were trying to to push him out the door but he's rightfully being stubborn in terms of where he wants to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's horribly short sighted from Juventus though, Ronaldo will be there 2 more seasons max, they will need him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Leicester quoted 75m for Ake. In 5 or 6 years a most players are just going to run down contracts instead of being bought as its daft.

rob316 wrote: »
    It's horribly short sighted from Juventus though, Ronaldo will be there 2 more seasons max, they will need him then.

Bit like signing Higuain for 90m & 2 years later cannot get rid of him.
    They probably feel Lukaku on the books for 3/4 years would be cheaper than Dybala and Mandzukic. Paying Ronaldo 30m a year is a problem for them as they need to balance the books hence Kean was sacrificed.
    The bosman's they get are never free as I imagine what they gave Rabiot, Can & Ramsey to sign was very substantial too, when they have Bentancur & Pjanic already I'm not sure how wise that is when you can only play 3 of them. They still have Matuidi & Khedira there & I think they'd be delighted with them leaving now but who wants them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Underground

Leicester eager to sign a replacement for Maguire but are concerned that there's not enough value in the current market.

Well... Yeah, and Leicester are very much a big player in that lack of value in the market. When you're selling Maguire for 85m you really lose any sort of credibility in talking about value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49224905

Maguire officially announced. £80 million seems to be the final figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1158340336730693632?s=19

Disaster of a signing last summer. Loan makes sense for Cagliari but not so much for Inter. Wonder will they be able to get rid of Icardi to someone other than Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1158340336730693632?s=19

Disaster of a signing last summer. Loan makes sense for Cagliari but not so much for Inter. Wonder will they be able to get rid of Icardi to someone other than Juve.

His wife is battling cancer and is from cagliari hence why the deal was done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

6 year contract with option for another year for Maguire. What kind of madness is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

JPA wrote: »
    6 year contract with option for another year for Maguire. What kind of madness is that?

Accountancy’s madness, spread the cost of the transfer over the length meaning on paper its “cheaper”.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Maguire on his own can't turn Utd into contenders. Yes he can improve the defence, but he won't be able to improve the attack.
    That needs more signings and better coaching.

No he cant improve the attack but with 54 goals conceded in the PL last season the defence is Uniteds main problem. If Maguires signing means they concede 10 less goals than last year then they'll likely pick up an extra 7-10 points which means they'll be back into the top 4 and CL places. They were only 5 points off it last season so I wouldnt be surprised to see them do it this season with Maguire and Wan Bissaka on board.

I think Maguire has a couple more levels in him but he needs some world class coaching to achieve it, the question being is Ole that coach? We'll know that by Christmas for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

And so it begins.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

If maguire has half the effect on uniteds defence as vvd did on Liverpool it will be a good transfer for them, value for money is touted the whole time but the transfer market has been crazy for a while and it ain't slowing down yet so its a bit of a moot point especially considering the revenue united pull in.

Think Adrian is a good signing for us too as back up keeper too. Hoping for another in but won't hold me breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They have him tied down to the same wages now for the rest of his career. He can't hold them over a barrel in 4 years and say he's leaving on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another six year contract...here we go again.

Thought United had seen sense and walked away from the deal when it reached that price but obviously not. He’s a clear improvement over what they have but you’d get players for less than half that who’d also be an improvement. For that money you’d be expecting Van Dijk level performances and I don’t see it happening.

And Surely it would’ve made more sense to go all out for him last summer when they were linked with him and strengthen the defence when they had a defensive minded manager who could’ve worked with the poor attack before strengthening it this summer. Now they’re a year further down the road and trying to do both with a poorer manager who looks out of his depth and most likely won’t be there next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They have him tied down to the same wages now for the rest of his career. He can't hold them over a barrel in 4 years and say he's leaving on a free.

Rare enough that players contracts aren’t renegotiated. If he stays 6 years then he’ll be in more money than he started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TitianGerm wrote: »

Exactly. If you are going to go all in on a player like that, this is it. Look at Herrera and even Jones/smalling demanding wages they don’t deserve. Also with inflation in football It will be better business then a lower contract.

I think Woodward is not good for United in the position he’s in but I think it makes perfect sense to do what they did when they decided to spend 80 mil on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads, do us all a favour and just go back and read the few pages of posts around the AWB transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

L'prof wrote: »
    Rare enough that players contracts aren’t renegotiated. If he stays 6 years then he’ll be in more money than he started

If he exceeds United's expectations they will renegotiate but if he comes in and does an "ok" job then the club are under no obligation to renegotiate.

Maguire must know himself that he will very unlikely to be moving to a bigger club now. Couldn't see Barca or Real looking for him in two or three years and United won't sell him at a loss so he won't be going back to a mid table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,952 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well... Yeah, and Leicester are very much a big player in that lack of value in the market. When you're selling Maguire for 85m you really lose any sort of credibility in talking about value for money.
    No you have that wrong, it's the teams shelling out those fees that are causing it.
    Leicester put a price on a player that they didn't really want to sell and it got paid. They are not the problem, it's the big clubs paying these fees.

And so it begins.........

??

I have no agenda or bias here.

A 6 or 7 year contract is basically unheard of.

It doesn't seem to allow for the possibility of the player failing to reach expectations.

In 2 years he could be on the bench with 4 years left on his contract.

??

It doesn't seem to allow for the possibility of the player failing to reach expectations.

How can you find it to be crazy.
    The majority of players will sign a 5 year deal, unless they are 29 or 30..maybe even then.
    So how is an extra year so crazy when protecting your purchases and investment.

Just with a quick google Harry Kane signed a 6 year contract last summer.

Do you really think Maguire will be on the bench in 2 years.... Honestly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

??

Or he could be injured tomorrow and unable to play again but he'll still get those wages. It's all about what the employer can afford and the employee is willing to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Or he could be injured tomorrow and unable to play again but he'll still get those wages. It's all about what the employer can afford and the employee is willing to take.

If he got injured tomorrow and had to retire, then insurance would pay off his contract, the club wouldn't continue to pay him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Only heard the 5live world football phone in from last weekend, last night.
    They were scathing in their assessment of Dybala. He doesn't add much to a team so it seems Utd were right to get out of it !

cjmc wrote:
    Only heard the 5live world football phone in from last weekend, last night. They were scathing in their assessment of Dybala. He doesn't add much to a team so it seems Utd were right to get out of it !
    Well if he was that good he would be starting for Juventus. There is something wrong whether that be him not improving or off the field stuff.

How can you find it to be crazy.
    The majority of players will sign a 5 year deal, unless they are 29 or 30..maybe even then.
    So how is an extra year so crazy when protecting your purchases and investment.

Just with a quick google Harry Kane signed a 6 year contract last summer.

Do you really think Maguire will be on the bench in 2 years.... Honestly?

With Harry Kane, Spurs have a player wanted by top teams.
    I can't see too many teams coming in and trying to buy Maguire for 120 million+

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if he was that good he would be starting for Juventus. There is something wrong whether that be him not improving or off the field stuff.

He played 41 times for them last year.
    23 starts, 6 subs in League,
    6 starts, 3 subs in europe,
    2 starts, 1 sub in domestic cups.

Hardly seems like he wasn't starting.

Ronaldo's starts in league was 29 plus 1 sub for comparison.

I really wish people would check stuff before they post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

In his Prime Bryan Robson signed a 7 year deal with Utd, The club have signed Maguire for a world record deal for a defender and probably want to shape the next few years of the first team around Maguire, can see him being captain in the near future, I can see this move making Maguire even better in the coming seasons,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Kompany had a 6 year deal at city too.

Dont see the big deal myself.

Van dijk signed six. It's about protecting the players value to the club. No point of signing a big ticket player on a four year which they can run down easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Adrian looks another keeper to happily pick up the cheque for not playing football. Surely they don't want to waste their career on benches? At least those who pick up a cheque in China actually play. I'm critical of players who go to China at still a decent age but this is worse imo. Just being 'at' a big club is nowhere near the same as playing for one, especially when you 100% know you will never be no.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,737 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Those long deals are grand if the player performs well. If he's a flop or gets bad injures then it's bad business. Obvious I guess and a calculated risk ManU are willing to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,737 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Those long deals are grand if the player performs well. If he's a flop or gets bad injures then it's bad business. Obvious I guess and a calculated risk ManU are willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Corholio wrote: »
    Adrian looks another keeper to happily pick up the cheque for not playing football. Surely they don't want to waste their career on benches? At least those who pick up a cheque in China actually play. I'm critical of players who go to China at still a decent age but this is worse imo. Just being 'at' a big club is nowhere near the same as playing for one, especially when you 100% know you will never be no.1.

He wasn’t playing at West Ham either, so it’s not a bad move for him. Gets to sit on the bench and play the odd cup game at a bigger club. At least he didn’t move from a starting position at West Ham to sitting on the bench for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

An injury to Allison and he is the no 1 at a title challenging side.

Its a good move.

Was Adrian bought from West Ham or was he a free agent?

People talk of him going from the West Ham bench to the Liverpool bench, I thought West Ham didn't extend his contact and have Roberto as sub Keeper instead?
    Maybe he was offered a new contract and turned it down but never heard any talk of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

He was a free agent. Not sure how he arrived at being so though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Adrian was a free agent West Ham didn't renew his contract.

• Advertisement

I really wish people would check stuff before they post.
    Yeah, 23 starts in the league is not that much. Like that's similar to Mata or Lingard at United or to Isco or Vinicous Junior at Madrid as examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gold said Adrian asked to leave so he could get first team football.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, 23 starts in the league is not that much. Like that's similar to Mata or Lingard at United or to Isco or Vinicous Junior at Madrid as examples.

Mata had 16.
    Lingard 19.

But lets base him against his competition....
    Ronaldo 29 + 1 =30 appearance in the League
    Dybala 23 + 6 = 29 appearances in the league.

So by your thinking Ronaldo isn't a regular starter either for Juventus.

Anyhow I'm going to move on and let you believe in your wisdom, I'll rely on facts.

Ronaldo played in 31 league games last season total minutes on the pitch 2689.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cristiano-ronaldo/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/8198/verein/506

Dybala played in 30 league games last season total minutes on the pitch 2137.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/paulo-dybala/leistungsdaten/spieler/206050/plus/0?saison=2018

Across all games last season for Juve Ronaldo played in 43 games total minutes 3646 minutes...Dybala played in 42 games total minutes 2820.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ronaldo played in 31 league games last season total minutes on the pitch 2689.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cristiano-ronaldo/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/8198/verein/506

Dybala played in 30 league games last season total minutes on the pitch 2137.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/paulo-dybala/leistungsdaten/spieler/206050/plus/0?saison=2018

Across all games last season for Juve Ronaldo played in 43 games total minutes 3646 minutes...Dybala played in 42 games total minutes 2820.

Thank you.

Your stats show that Dybala played 42 games and 2820 mins.
    So this just goes to show that he was a regular at the club..... the opposite of what eagle eye said!

I appreciate your help to prove a point.

Noone expected him to play the same amount as the God Ronaldo.

Mourinho desperate for a job and to show he has changed. Doing some PR stunt on sky there where he goes back home and to show "the real Jose". All fairly transparent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Baggly wrote: »
    An injury to Allison and he is the no 1 at a title challenging side.

Its a good move.

It's a good move to not play football. Good for Liverpool and good for him financially, very little good football wise though. I'd question any players mentality that signs to be playing only after someone else gets injured, unless you're very young or you're extremely old. Much more respect for players that turn down bigger clubs to play with 'lesser' ones.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a good move to not play football. Good for Liverpool and good for him financially, very little good football wise though. I'd question any players mentality that signs to be playing only after someone else gets injured, unless you're very young or you're extremely old. Much more respect for players that turn down bigger clubs to play with 'lesser' ones.

He was released by West Ham at the end of last season and hadn't found a club.

How long would you want him to wait for an offer till it was ok with you for him to take an offer from a club like Liverpool to be there number 2 or not get a club at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

rob316 wrote: »
    Mourinho desperate for a job and to show he has changed. Doing some PR stunt on sky there where he goes back home and to show "the real Jose". All fairly transparent

my big fear is he ends up at Liverpool after Klopp, hopefully he "Mourinhos" another big club before Klopp leaves

Advertisement