Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see United are looking to sign James from Swansea

Do you reckon he will be loaned out or kept in the first team squad ?

He looks a talent but its a huge jump for a 21 year-old with only 20 league appearances and 2 goals

Apparently he's a Liverpool fan and has been linked with them as well but not sure how serious those links are.

Think he was very close to joining Leeds in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wilson scores spectacular goals quite regularly but isn't good enough to be a part of this current Liverpool squad imo. I'd like to see him at a Leicester or Bournemouth maybe.

Given Eddie Howe's dealings with Liverpool in the past, he shouldn't be let go for a penny less than £25m!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Think he was very close to joining Leeds in January.

Interview with LUTV Done , contract agreed and photos in the kit done , sat waiting in Elland road for Swansea to agree to the deal and then they stopped answering the phone :mad:

So pretty close yea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

razorblunt wrote: »
    Wilson scores spectacular goals quite regularly but isn't good enough to be a part of this current Liverpool squad imo. I'd like to see him at a Leicester or Bournemouth maybe.

Given Eddie Howe's dealings with Liverpool in the past, he shouldn't be let go for a penny less than £25m!
    Always wondered was there some connection there, shared agent or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Andre Gomes to Spurs could be a go-er.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    Andre Gomes to Spurs could be a go-er.

The guy at Everton? Thought they had a option to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The guy at Everton? Thought they had a option to buy?

Of course they can bid but there is no option attached to the loan contract if that makes sense,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Of course they can bid but there is no option attached to the loan contract if that makes sense,

Correct, we don't have first choice option or whatever the clause is.

Correct, we don't have first choice option or whatever the clause is.

That's madness. You'd assume that would be a standard in most loans!!

I'd expect ye to at least try sign him. He's been very good this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liam O wrote: »
    The last thing United need is another non-running creative midfielder. Coutinho would be an awful signing.

You never watched much of Coutinho at Liverpool I take it.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's madness. You'd assume that would be a standard in most loans!!

I'd expect ye to at least try sign him. He's been very good this year.

Fully expect us to sign him tbh. Seems to enjoy it based on his involvement as a loan player but if I was him I'd go to Spurs. CL finalist. Top 4. London. They're a much bigger draw in all aspects. The only thing is if he is guaranteed 90mins. I would assume so

This guy seems to have loads of stats on United (I found him because he had a thread on Fabhino) but some very interesting reading. We're likely to see United's spending top 1bn since Fergie left this summer.

https://twitter.com/utdarena/status/1126845873261088769?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

800 million in 6 seasons isn’t absurd, most of the top 6 teams are spending slightly over 100 million a year to stay at the top.

Liverpool have spent 700 million in the same period, I wonder where their “Liverpool spend to exceed 1 billion” headline is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

800 million in 6 seasons isn’t absurd, most of the top 6 teams are spending slightly over 100 million a year to stay at the top.

Liverpool have spent 700 million in the same period, I wonder where their “Liverpool spend to exceed 1 billion” headline is

But to play devil's advocate here, at least Liverpool are challenging for the league and cl the last few seasons.

Utd are pants.

Who said it's absurd? What is absurd is the amount of poor signings made for that £800m. How many of them have been a success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What day does the transfer window open? Could liverpool and spurs buy anyone before the final to play in it? Or is CL registration closed as well til next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

July 1st is when players can be registered, but it's any time before that for deals to be struck.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But to play devil's advocate here, at least Liverpool are challenging for the league and cl the last few seasons.

Utd are pants.

Don't believe that's Devils advocate at all.

Comparing Liverpool's spend to United's you must then compare the positions.

In comparision imagine the money City spent and finished outside top 4. They'd be laughed at.

Don't believe that's Devils advocate at all.

Comparing Liverpool's spend to United's you must then compare the positions.

In comparision imagine the money City spent and finished outside top 4. They'd be laughed at.

Theres no problem with the money United spent it's just they have feck all decent players to show for it. It's been a real scatter gun approach to recruitment.

They need to get a plan in place so when Ole goes the next manager knows what's going on and can work to this plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can tell as a United fan that things are grim when you see a headline "United leading chase for James" and it turns out it's not talking about Bayern's James Rodriguez, but some young fellow at Swansea, Daniel James.

• Advertisement

Can tell as a United fan that things are grim when you see a headline "United leading chase for James" and it turns out it's not talking about Bayern's James Rodriguez, but some young fellow at Swansea, Daniel James.

Those signings are exactly the type that have ye got ye in this mess. James is supposed to a be cracking player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

to get a true comparison you have to look at the net spend times the number of trophies won over the finals you've been in. If the number's more than six that's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Scattergun is the exact word to describe United's transfer strategy.

Last season they were rotating Martial & Rashford in the LW position. Lukaku had the line CF role to himself. Martial plays 60, Rashford 20 and then switch for the next game. And so forth.

They were going neck and neck with City for the title for the first 2 months of the season, after City had failed to get the Sanchez transfer over the line.

And then January happened..

United wanted to 'get one over on City' so came in and offered Sanchez more money and decided to buy him from Arsenal. Another LW. So now they have Rashford, Martial & Sanchez for the LW position. Instead of getting a RW in, they get a big name instead to try get a quick fox.

And now, by the sounds of things, they want to get a young exciting player in this summer. Where does he play? Yes, you guessed it. LW.

Fair enough, Rashford is now a CF and Sanchez will get moved on, but you would expect that Martial would be keeping that LW spot as his own and maybe use Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood, Chong etc as back up. But to be targeting another young winger to play on the same wing again instead of the clear issues at RW just seems a bit weird to me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't seen any of the Swansea James, but he couldn't be any worse than the Munich /Madrid James, who has done little since that world cup.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of the Swansea James, but he couldn't be any worse than the Munich /Madrid James, who has done little since that world cup.

Ya know that saying you shouldn't buy someone on their world cup form? That's him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ooh! Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Never heard of a good person named Carmine before, it's a stereotypical mob name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rob316 wrote: »
    Those signings are exactly the type that have ye got ye in this mess. James is supposed to a be cracking player

He might be a cracking player for a lower half PL side. Imagine calling yourself one of the world's best clubs and going for a bloke with 4 goals in the Championship.

I remember last season United fans dismayed at the idea of signing World Cup finalist Ivan Perisic. Now look at the type of player being targeted.

• Advertisement

What the feck are you moaning about? 15m for a development player who is sought by half of the Prem. Sounds like a good buy to me.

Advertisement