Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Booom 1st bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭BenK

2nd, like Jose's greatest achievement ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wouldnt mind DDG leaving as he could actually raise funds. Goalkeeper is also the only position in the squad where we have (probabably significantly above average) depth with Romero as back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Glory glory Man utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Headshot wrote: »
    Booom 1st bitches

Technically 2nd :pac:

New thread, new owners please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

astradave wrote:
    New thread, new owners please

Fine I'll dig into the trust fund and buy the club, happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Even as a Pogba fan safe to say I'm surprised he was selected by the PFA in the team of the year.

No doubt a perfect topic to kick off the thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I would love the club to be sold. I think the rot started right back to when we sold Ronaldo and replaced him with Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia. That was the austerity years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Necro wrote: »
    Fine I'll dig into the trust fund and buy the club, happy?

6th for life :D

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Even as a Pogba fan safe to say I'm surprised he was selected by the PFA in the team of the year.

Selected by fellow pros who play against him every week.

Been poor last few weeks, prob our best player last night, best player in the league when ole took over and was very good at start of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Now we have two threads on the go. Progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

BenK wrote: »
    2nd, like Jose's greatest achievement ever

With this lot, he wasn't joking

• safrjy5w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Too many players who are no where near the standard required. Shaw, Smalling, Jones, McTominay, Lingard, Lindelof, Rojo, Young, Darmian, Fred and Perirea simply aren't good enough. Players like Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata and Herrera are a mix of good enough but inconsistent or past their best. Pogba is the PFA team of the year is a joke. Massive overhaul needed. Ole has a huge job on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wonder what the post count will be when United next get a win.

Or score a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

wonder what the post count will be when United next get a win.

Or score a goal.

Might be at the start of the next thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is the reason for the goals drying up, so quickly and so starkly? 39 goals in the first games under Ole and now they haven't scored from open play for 600+ minutes?

bangkok wrote: »
    Selected by fellow pros who play against him every week.

Been poor last few weeks, prob our best player last night, best player in the league when ole took over and was very good at start of the season

Still don't agree he deserved to be in the best team of the season. Hasn't done it over a long enough period of time during this season in my eyes.

No doubt well respected and regarded by fellow pros, and I suppose what do I know but just my feelings.

If he is out the door this summer it will at least be something to use regarding getting a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

GSPfan wrote: »
    I would love the club to be sold. I think the rot started right back to when we sold Ronaldo and replaced him with Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia. That was the austerity years.

I always find it funny that people talk about the Glazers and lack of investment, austerity, etc. It's like people block out the hundred of millions we've spent over the last number of years.

Lack of investment hasn't been the issue. The people the money has been spent on is.

• Advertisement

Gary Linker straight out to call BS.

I think this will be an ongoing theme

Too many players who are no where near the standard required. Shaw, Smalling, Jones, McTominay, Lingard, Lindelof, Rojo, Young, Darmian, Fred and Perirea simply aren't good enough. Players like Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata and Herrera are a mix of good enough but inconsistent or past their best. Pogba is the PFA team of the year is a joke. Massive overhaul needed. Ole has a huge job on his hands.

Don't agree with the assessment of players to go.

I think Shaw is definitely good enough.
    McTominay has accounted for himself well and is an exciting prospect who has shown up during big games.
    Lindelof I think has proved many wrong and I think he's good enough also.
    Lingard is good enough but not a player to rely on heavily.
    Jones a good rotation option.
    Pereira is still young and has shown flashes, but more of a rotation/potential player.
    Fred has been capped multiple times for Brazil, you don't get capped unless you're up to scratch, he still has a chance with us I feel.

Rojo, Young, Darmian and Smalling (to some extent) I can understand but the long lists some people roll out for players needing to go is unrealistic and over the top in my eyes.

Take a step back from the disappointment and realise that this is the first time post Fergie that the team look like they aren’t going to achieve top 4 and we aren’t sacking the manager. That’s a good thing. The fact Olé is being let down badly by this group is a good thing now because he is way too proud to let this continue. He seems to have good relationships with previous players and it looks like publicly they are all advising that this group of players are rotten and we need to make big changes.

No I’m not happy things have gone sour and I’d much rather be celebrating a top 3 or 4 position right now instead of looking at the positives of a bad situation. But we’ve been waiting for something to happen to change this cycle of shíteness we have been witnessing for years and I have faith that Olé Gunnar Solskjaer is the man to do it.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I always find it funny that people talk about the Glazers and lack of investment, austerity, etc. It's like people block out the hundred of millions we've spent over the last number of years.

Lack of investment hasn't been the issue. The people the money has been spent on is.

I find it funny you can’t understand words. I said “That was the austerity years” because those few years when they were desperately trying to service the debt we downgraded everything and we’ve been trying to buy our way out of it ever since. Yeah they started spending money again in the last 5 years but we have spent it on crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Our recruitment and general direction have been awful
    This is a club that signed Vidic and Evra in a single January window
    We needs 2-3 similar windows to get back on track
    Woodward is not a football man

limnam wrote: »
    Gary Linker straight out to call BS.

I think this will be an ongoing theme

Call BS makes it sound stronger than the comments were, I was expecting a Keano like rant. He just relayed what all of us are thinking.

"He’s not been consistent enough to be in the team of the year, for me.”

Said he's a beautiful footballer who has shown some great moments but doesn't deserve it for the above reason.

Forget arguing if he was our best player this year, even the biggest Pogba fan would have to admit he wasnt best midfielder (or one of them) this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

McTominay has accounted for himself well and is an exciting prospect who has shown up during big games.
    Pereira is still young and has shown flashes, but more of a rotation/potential player.
    Fred has been capped multiple times for Brazil, you don't get capped unless you're up to scratch, he still has a chance with us I feel.

Rojo, Young, Darmian and Smalling (to some extent) I can understand but the long lists some people roll out for players needing to go is unrealistic and over the top in my eyes.

I agree with not all, but a good chunk of this. I think we tend to overrate Shaw purely because he plays something like a modern fullback should - as opposed to the endless stopgaps on the right. His defending needs to improve, and he already looks back in poor condition. To his defence though, he looks better when we have a functioning left wing outlet in front of him.

McT has shown plenty this season to indicate he should be part of future squads, in talent and attitude.

I think Lingard brings plenty to the party, but his biggest strength is running from deep and linking midfield and attack. He is not a centre forward, the Nou Camp and last night showed that.

With all the "talent" and big names we have in the forward line, the finishing last night was embarrassing. They need to get a poacher in fast, as a plan B if nothing else.

Call BS makes it sound stronger than the comments were, I was expecting a Keano like rant. He just relayed what all of us are thinking.

"He’s not been consistent enough to be in the team of the year, for me.”

Said he's a beautiful footballer who has shown some great moments but doesn't deserve it for the above reason.

Forget arguing if he was our best player this year, even the biggest Pogba fan would have to admit he wasnt best midfielder (or one of them) this season.

Gary Linker doesn't really do rants.

Sorry for my click bait style wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Shaw in my opinion isn't up to the standard required. Lindelof has improved but still no where near being a top class centre half, might improve if he played with better than Smalling or Jones, Baily looked the part at the start but seems to have fallen out of favour. Lingard is very average, a lot of times you don't notice he's playing until he's substituted, plus he's not getting any younger. Jones isn't good enough, a cover centre half at best. Perira isn't Utd standard from what I've seen. Fred is awful. Constantly gives the ball away. If I recall correctly he couldn't get in a poor Brazil team at the last WC. It's all about opinions but if any of the players I mentioned were put up for sale, how many clubs would look for them ? Mid-table Prem teams at best I'd suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is the reason for the goals drying up, so quickly and so starkly? 39 goals in the first games under Ole and now they haven't scored from open play for 600+ minutes?

More and more, I think that when Ole got the job, it was made clear to certain people that there was going to be a massive rebuild in the summer, and the players downed tools as a result.

When you hear Ole saying "We need 5 or 6 new first team players"....I'm not saying it's bad man management, because he was being brutally honest. But I think there's a lot of the team have gotten the message they are considered problems in terms of quality, and have proven that then by sandbagging yet another manager.

When Jose went, in a way, I was glad. Because I had said I wanted a new manager in early enough to spend the rest of the season getting it realized that Jose wasn't THE problem (as much as he was A problem). THE problem is a lack of passion in the players. A lack of desire to fight for top four, let alone actual trophies.

I think Lukaku, for instance, realised that Rashford would be favoured over him super quickly and has never looked bothered under Ole.
    I think Herrera and Mata realised that, and I think that's played a role in DDG's form too (given how close the trio are).
    Pogba looks like whether Ole wanted him to leave or not, he himself wants off to easier pastures (not blaming him one way or other).
    Martial got his contract, and reverted to the norm.

So basically, the entire spine of our team has had collective shrugs and given up.

And ultimately, I don't believe that's an Ole problem. I think whoever got appointed in his position would have faced similar.

The silver lining is that by giving Ole the contract early, we saw it happen in a season that was already written off, right before a transfer window. I'd be far, far happier it happened now than in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I like Fred, he's plucky and hasn't shied away when things haven't gone his way and he may well come right, he has certainly progressed.

And I'm certainly not saying this is the case with him personally but I remember reading years back that the Brazilian FA had a kind of unwritten agreement with clubs that they would cap players to boost transfer fees for players going to Europe.

Kind of an interesting sidetrack point really.

So we need a new back 4.

Whole new Mid and some strikers.

GK?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'd like to see Herrera back in the team. Seemed to play best when he was in it and got worse when he got injured.

He has to play vs Chelsea

Lord TSC wrote: »
    More and more, I think that when Ole got the job, it was made clear to certain people that there was going to be a massive rebuild in the summer, and the players downed tools as a result.

When you hear Ole saying "We need 5 or 6 new first team players"....I'm not saying it's bad man management, because he was being brutally honest. But I think there's a lot of the team have gotten the message they are considered problems in terms of quality, and have proven that then by sandbagging yet another manager.

When Jose went, in a way, I was glad. Because I had said I wanted a new manager in early enough to spend the rest of the season getting it realized that Jose wasn't THE problem (as much as he was A problem). THE problem is a lack of passion in the players. A lack of desire to fight for top four, let alone actual trophies.

I think Lukaku, for instance, realised that Rashford would be favoured over him super quickly and has never looked bothered under Ole.
    I think Herrera and Mata realised that, and I think that's played a role in DDG's form too (given how close the trio are).
    Pogba looks like whether Ole wanted him to leave or not, he himself wants off to easier pastures (not blaming him one way or other).
    Martial got his contract, and reverted to the norm.

So basically, the entire spine of our team has had collective shrugs and given up.

And ultimately, I don't believe that's an Ole problem. I think whoever got appointed in his position would have faced similar.

The silver lining is that by giving Ole the contract early, we saw it happen in a season that was already written off, right before a transfer window. I'd be far, far happier it happened now than in October.

Yep id say certain players have been told already they will be moved on in the summer and as a result training AND matches have been poor amd certain players are not bothered. Imagine going into training and about 6 or maybe more lads that are training know they wont be there after the summer. Id say they couldnt give a fu*k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I agree with not all, but a good chunk of this. I think we tend to overrate Shaw purely because he plays something like a modern fullback should - as opposed to the endless stopgaps on the right. His defending needs to improve

It's the attacking aspect he needs to improve not the defending he's always been solid defensively.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Gary Linker doesn't really do rants.

Sorry for my click bait style wording.

Ha not your fault! Just the way I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I still think the most interesting snippet from last night was Rashford stating that the players never call each other out in the dressing room.

You can really see it on the field. That right there is a squad that do not push each other, that do not make each other better, that tiptoe around underperforming team mates rather than confront them. I'd say there are a number of little cliques in that dressing room that do little except pat each other on the back and, most likely, passive aggressively marginalise anybody coming into the squad that doesn't adjust to that culture.

Thats why it is so hard for managers, trying motivate that lot must be like trying to motivate wet dough. You just know that if Ole is trying to give a rousing team talk that most of them are just sitting there with their heads down, that any sort of response would only be some fake chest thumping rather than any deeply felt passion.

That squad is rotten to the core, a new manager or new signing is nothing more than a lick of paint at this stage, it needs to be completely torn down and those sorts of attitudes purged with extreme prejudice.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I'd like to see Herrera back in the team. Seemed to play best when he was in it and got worse when he got injured.

He has to play vs Chelsea

I'd prefer McT, or any player who is committed to being there next season instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Has Herrera officially signed for psg or still rumors?

I still think the most interesting snippet from last night was Rashford stating that the players never call each other out in the dressing room.

You can really see it on the field. That right there is a squad that do not push each other, that do not make each other better, that tiptoe around underperforming team mates rather than confront them. I'd say there are a number of little cliques in that dressing room that do little except pat each other on the back and, most likely, passive aggressively marginalise anybody coming into the squad that doesn't adjust to that culture.

Thats why it is so hard for managers, trying motivate that lot must be like trying to motivate wet dough. You just know that if Ole is trying to give a rousing team talk that most of them are just sitting there with their heads down, that any sort of response would only be some fake chest thumping rather than any deeply felt passion.

That squad is rotten to the core, a new manager or new signing is nothing more than a lick of paint at this stage, it needs to be completely torn down and those sorts of attitudes purged with extreme prejudice.

He says that in public but id say behind closed doors there has been heated arguments.

A good clear out in the summer and some solid signings needed.

• Advertisement

If we can somehow salvage a top 4 finish from this unlikely position then that’s great but the end of season can’t come quickly enough to disband this group.

My only worry is that Olé has already said things like “we can’t make 6 or 7 changes all in one go”. I hope he was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we can somehow salvage a top 4 finish from this unlikely position then that’s great but the end of season can’t come quickly enough to disband this group.

My only worry is that Olé has already said things like “we can’t make 6 or 7 changes all in one go”. I hope he was wrong.

5 signings, and incorporate Greendwood, Garner, Chong, Gomes and Tuanzebe

10 possible changes to the squad.

Gut the feckers.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    Been poor the last few weeks alright, did well last night, prob our best player but he was excellent when ole took over and was good at start of season for first few months.

Pretty good in their half and he for once seemed to keep things simple. He has to talk a large amount of blame for their first goal though. He was strolling back (as he does most of the time) and left Bernardo Silva the entire left side to run at. That's basic stuff. Get back, keep the space tight and don't leave your fullback so exposed.

Pogba in the team of the year is fellow professionals taking the p!ss if you ask me, or modern footballers are even more immature than I gave them credit for

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pretty good in their half and he for once seemed to keep things simple. He has to talk a large amount of blame for their first goal though. He was strolling back (as he does most of the time) and left Bernardo Silva the entire left side to run at. That's basic stuff. Get back, keep the space tight and don't leave your fullback so exposed.

Pogba in the team of the year is fellow professionals taking the p!ss if you ask me, or modern footballers are even more immature than I gave them credit for

When do the players vote for it?

My, perhaps optamistic, take was the comment about not being able to bring in 5 or 6 new first team players was that "unless people leave" was between the lines.

I think as it stands, we'll be after a right winger, center back, right back and center mid.

But if Lukaku goes, we'll need a striker as well.
    If Pogba goes, we'll need another CM as well (possibly two)
    If DDG goes, we'd need another GK as well.

"As well" hopefully being the attitude....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

One thing to consider about that PFA team is that votes were done around 6 weeks ago I think.

Votes should really be done at the end of the season really, for everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I find it funny you can’t understand words. I said “That was the austerity years” because those few years when they were desperately trying to service the debt we downgraded everything and we’ve been trying to buy our way out of it ever since. Yeah they started spending money again in the last 5 years but we have spent it on crap.

That's an important point. The club was going downhill well before Woodward ever took over. Even the 2013 league winning side were just the best of a bad lot at the time. Not a patch on the Liverpool or City sides of this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Lord TSC wrote: »

I'd argue that is a huge Ole problem. If his statements have resulted in the team giving up, then it was a mistake. He said early on that a number of players needed to up their games and then shortly after said a number of players wouldn't be there in the future. He should have approached it differently - saying that the team and players were short of confidence and fitness and suggested they would see through the season and evaluate where things are in May.

Now, with his hard line approach and most the squad looking at this guy with no serious managerial record, Utd are unlikely to get a CL spot, meaning the club will probably lose their best player (DeGea) and only maybe their only other world class player (Pogba).
    Why would any top player want to join Utd now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's the attacking aspect he needs to improve not the defending he's always been solid defensively.

Cant agree with this - it certainly didnt look like it for the first goal last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    One thing to consider about that PFA team is that votes were done around 6 weeks ago I think.

Votes should really be done at the end of the season really, for everything..

Even if the votes were 6 weeks ago I still can't see how Pogba would be anywhere near the team of the season?

An utter ****e first half of the season where he was rightly dropped, followed by a period of about a month where he was better without being all that great, how does that get him any votes?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement