Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strictly Come Dancing 2019!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Only recognized Emma Barton so far. And I definitely don’t know the you tubers. I didn’t know Joe sugg last year but he did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wonder will any Love Islanders be on

There hasn't been in previous years. Hopefully they will stick to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Next celebrities announced.

Catherine Tyldesley who played Eva Price in Coronation Strret.

Also, Saffron Barker is a YouTube star.

Do they usually announce that many at once? I remember one a day last year. It’s earlier too. Are they giving them more time to rehearse?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

As usual, I've no idea who any of them is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think we get the picture re: calling them celebrities. They realistically couldn’t afford big celebrities. And it’s more realistic to get people who are a little bit famous to see them progress in their dancing. Would people be as enthusiastic if was an ordinary dance competition and they weren’t necessarily people in the Public eye? If it was the latter we’d just get a load of people from stage schools entering a dance show, they’d be already trained and we wouldn’t see the same progression. And it’s fun watching those who can’t dance, !!

I'd love if Teressa May did it!

• Advertisement

So far, would Michelle Visage be the most famous person on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Baybay

Postgrad10 wrote: »

I’m no guide perhaps but I don’t know who she is. I recognised the goalkeeper & the comedian but for me the best known one so far is Honey from Eastenders.

I only recognized her from the ads for Ireland’s got talent but the Ru Paul drag race connection could mean she has a large following? I suspect a lot bigger than Emma from EastEnders ?

I know the next contestant Jamie Laing but only from checking out an episode of made in Chelsea a few years back to see what the hype was.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Postgrad10 wrote: »

She is International, from RuPaul's Drag Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Strictly is the only celeb or reality type show I watch and I'm usually clueless about who celebs are when others discuss them, but I'm familiar with all of these except Michelle Visage, Will Bayley and Saffron Barker. I knew fewer last year. So I think it's a fairly well known lineup. Personally I don't actually care who they are anyway. I just enjoy watching the progress and the dancing. Can't wait for it to start!

I know people better this year than last year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Happy that Michelle Visage is in it.....I think she'll be ok but would imagine performance wise itll be similar to when Anastacia was on it.

I dont think she'd be hoping to win it, More So get more exposure in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Can’t say I know many of the contestants so far this year, I knew David James, the woman from Corrie and the guy from Made in Chelsea (only know him from GBBO!) But I find with Strictly, it’s the one program where it doesn’t bother me who the celebrities are. Half the time, I fast forward the bits before the dance anyway and the bit where they talk to Claudia, so I don’t really get to see the celebs talking anyway! Realistically, despite being one of the biggest reality TV shows out there, it’s never going to attract the big names as it’s just too much of a commitment. You’re talking 6 days a week, training hours a day for potentially 4 months if you make the later stages. That’s just not going to be an option for big names who are currently working.

I think they normally leave the bigger names to closer to the end of the reveals. Wasn’t there rumours that Chris Evans was doing it this year?

He said he was doing it and then he wasn’t. There hasn’t been anyone from the music world yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

When looking at the fame element, in fairness David James is a very big name in sport. Former England number 1 and played for Liverpool. You'd have to have absolute zero interest in football to have never heard of him - he's probably the most well known sporting participant since Robbie Savage.

Big coup, and I doubt he came cheap - usually the non-Olympian is a former rugby or cricket player, sports which wouldn't be as popular. He's a big character though and will be popular I'd say

Honey from Eastenders would obviously be very recognisable also. She's been a regular character for years now.

Catherine Tyldesley and Alex Scott would be well known too I'd have thought. Chris Ramsey was on every panel show a few years ago. A BBC Radio 1 DJ is obviously well known in the UK too

Don't care one bit how famous they are myself, but very surprised to see a lot of people online not aware of many of the current line-up. As many on this thread have already said - its more well known than last year imo. Surely there'll be a big enough pop star also

Only 2 places left now. Surely one is a singer!

That’s Anton sorted so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow a good few sports people this year

I thought he was on the show before :o maybe it was on DOI or Christmas SCD special?

Looks like this is the full line up. No singer or former boy/girl band contestant.

https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1159149602068676610?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Neil and Katya are no more. Saying it's just to becoming just friends.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9747033/strictly-come-dancing-katya-neil-jones-split/

Neil and Katya are no more. Saying it's just to becoming just friends.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9747033/strictly-come-dancing-katya-neil-jones-split/

They never seemed like a couple anyway. He comes across as being a bit camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I’m disappointed if Katya doesn’t get a partner this year. Her choreography has always been brilliant.

LizT wrote: »
    I’m disappointed if Katya doesn’t get a partner this year. Her choreography has always been brilliant.

I'm fairly sure Neil collaborated on most of it so will be interesting to see his choreography this year.

I'm still not looking forward as much as usual due to Darcy gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

LizT wrote: »

I saw the rags were writing that she was being relegated to support/ensemble dancer this year after last years events with Seann.

I'm really hoping Neil gets a partner.

EDIT: Never mind apparently they are both getting celebrities
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-exes-katya-neil-jones-18959978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wow those are awful trashy headlines, of course Gemma will save money not voting for Gorka every week, perfectly normal thing to say and not a big deal

That means Neil and Johannas will get partners this year which is fair enough, Neil has been in the background a few years now, looking forward to his choreography.

No word yet on which of the women professionals won't be partnered? I thought earlier in the year they were saying Katya wouldn't be partnered, she's in a panto this December so that would make sense for her to take a back seat.

I'm not surprised about Graziano, I don't think he was particularly popular last year and didn't he get a lot of flack for his choreography for Vic? I must say I'm very surprised about Gorka though, I thought he would have been one of the more popular male pro's. Does that mean there is a new male pro, or will a second pro be bumped up from the group dances?

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm not surprised about Graziano, I don't think he was particularly popular last year and didn't he get a lot of flack for his choreography for Vic? I must say I'm very surprised about Gorka though, I thought he would have been one of the more popular male pro's. Does that mean there is a new male pro, or will a second pro be bumped up from the group dances?

I'd like to have seen Graziano get another chance, I think he was a bit all over the place with choreography last year. I'm sure he will be partnered up in the future though.

I wonder was Gorka's choice his own, he has a newborn and had back problems recently. He might be glad of the break.

There's 7 spots for the male pros
    Aj, Aljaz, Anton, Giovanni, Johannas, Kevin & Neil

I saw someone on twitter make a comment that the pros are more well known than most of the celebs, seems true, maybe not outside of Strictly fans though :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought Kevin had retired last year?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Pasha retired

I'd like to have seen Graziano get another chance, I think he was a bit all over the place with choreography last year. I'm sure he will be partnered up in the future though.

I wonder was Gorka's choice his own, he has a newborn and had back problems recently. He might be glad of the break.

There's 7 spots for the male pros
    Aj, Aljaz, Anton, Giovanni, Johannas, Kevin & Neil

I saw someone on twitter make a comment that the pros are more well known than most of the celebs, seems true, maybe not outside of Strictly fans though :D
    Is there one less celeb this year then? Because there should be three replacements needed (Pasha, Graziano, Gorka) and only two new/promoted dancers (Neil/Johannas) or is there a new dancer that I've missed?

• Advertisement

15 celebs again, more men than women celebs this year.

There's a new female pro

Only 7 men needed as only 7 female pros.

No pro is ever guaranteed a celeb partner so I don’t know what the big deal is. Of course the media like blowing it up that somethings wrong. But i’m guessing it’s the BBC liking a policy of any news is news to get the ratings.

Looking toward to Johannes and Neil getting partners. Both are phenomenal dancers. Will be looking forward to seeing Gorka in the pro routines.

Artem didn’t get his DWTS contract renewed this year. He was a great dancer. I didn’t give him enough credit when he was on Strictly.

So our males dancing : Anton, AJ, Aliaz, Giovanni, Kevin, Neil, and Johannes.

Females : Katya, Amy, Oti, Nadiya, Karen, Dianne, Luba, and Janette. Nancy prob doing group dances.

Jamie Lang has had to pull out due to injury. Has this ever happened before the show started before? Wonder if they will have a substitute for him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement