Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Zico ! wrote: »
    Scores the odd goal too -in all fairness keogh should be turfed out guy has no pace at all

Agree on that. Egan is a far better prospect than Keogh. Keogh has been around for years we already know all about his limitations.

As for Doherty and Coleman, they are our two best players and both must play. It’s up to the manager to find a formation that gets both in the team and gets the best out of both of them. This is where the manager earns his corn as Mick might put it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭secman

More interested in reaction to Delaney than the match to be perfectly honest, sums up his impact on Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

It'll be tight. It'll be nervous. But I think we will do just enough to edge it by a single goal. 2-1 maybe as I think the Georgians will probably score. It won't be pretty but if we can muster 6 points from the first two games, we still have an outside chance of qualification. Anything other than 3 points tonight and we're goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Agree on that. Egan is a far better prospect than Keogh. Keogh has been around for years we already know all about his limitations.

As for Doherty and Coleman, they are our two best players and both must play. It’s up to the manager to find a formation that gets both in the team and gets the best out of both of them. This is where the manager earns his corn as Mick might put it himself.

Would like to see the 3/5 at the back system that a lot of our neighbours have used successfully in recent times, because of an overload of good full backs.

Scotland get Tierney & Robertson into the same side
    Wales previously had a system with both Davies & Taylor playing
    England used both Walker & Trippier during their previous cycle.

I think we could try incorporate something like this as a system with flying wing backs providing the width

McClean
    Maguire

Hourihane

Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady
    Doherty
    Egan----Duffy
    Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Going to be a tough game tonight!

Remember last game I went to against Georgia was a tight one. Hoping the conditions were the main reasons for the Gibraltar performance but well soon find out.

Will be interesting how many voice their views on Delaney. Despite the on and off the field issues I'm heading to the game more optimistic today, maybe foolishly so.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Would like to see the 3/5 at the back system that a lot of our neighbours have used successfully in recent times, because of an overload of good full backs.

I think we could try incorporate something like this as a system with flying wing backs providing the width

McClean
    Maguire

Hourihane

Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady
    Doherty
    Egan----Duffy
    Coleman

Yes, I think you've made a good point there. He has to find a way of getting his best players in the team and getting the best out of them. In that line up, not sure about McClean in that position. If Long was available you'd put him there, otherwise, maybe Robinson if he's available or McGoldrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't see how, if they score first, we get at least 2 goals against them.

And even if we score first you just know it's backs against the wall from there on out.

A tough night ahead I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

3-1 Ireland to click and Micks 2nd home debut to get off to a flier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

McClean
    Maguire

Hourihane

Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady
    Doherty
    Egan----Duffy
    Coleman

You were doing so well until you named McClean in your starting lineup as a centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes, I think you've made a good point there. He has to find a way of getting his best players in the team and getting the best out of them. In that line up, not sure about McClean in that position. If Long was available you'd put him there, otherwise, maybe Robinson if he's available or McGoldrick
    You were doing so well until you named McClean in your starting lineup as a centre forward

I know, I know but options up front are very light.

Maguire, McGoldrick, O' Brien & Collins are slim pickings in terms of strikers in the current squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Can see a 1-0 or 0-0 tonight. Cant see who we could bring in to improve things from the last day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭pgj2015

callum robinson is a huge loss for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Robinson,O'Dowda, Long and even Alan Browne are losses fus tonight especially the first two. I see us struggling. The big problem is the rapid of decline of out better players McClean, Coleman, Long and Brady. We relied alot of their pace which they dont possess at this stage in their career. Wouldnt surprise me if Georgia win tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not what I would pick but I reckon he will lineup like this:
    Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Keogh Stevens
    Hendrick Hourihane Whelan Brady
    Judge
    McGoldrick

Judging by his comments I doubt Doherty will start and then he will surely have to drop one of the forwards to play a third midfielder, he has mentioned Judge a few times now and he is someone who is comfortable in possession.

I think we are going to struggle tonight but won't lose, 1-1 or 1-0. I fear the atmosphere could turn toxic if we were to not win combined with the Delaney stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know, I know but options up front are very light.

Maguire, McGoldrick, O' Brien & Collins are slim pickings in terms of strikers in the current squad

Yes, but so those you've listed are actual strikers. McClean is a winger that isn't a guaranteed started in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bus leaving at 3pm

Hoping for a win in what is my third Irish game and the amazing thing is no victories so far. Looking forward too the game

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bus leaving at 3pm

Hoping for a win in what is my third Irish game and the amazing thing is no victories so far. Looking forward too the game

Maybe you should give it a miss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mada82 wrote: »
    Maybe you should give it a miss :)

true :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Belarus in 2016 in Cork we lose 2-1 and then Denmark in 2017 in the playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I was gonna stick my neck on the block and go for a 2-0 home win until I saw the jinx was going ;)

No particular reason other than an optimistic gut feeling. I’ll stick a few quid on just in case

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bus leaving at 3pm

We'll know who to blame if we don't win tonight

• Advertisement

Not what I would pick but I reckon he will lineup like this:
    Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Keogh Stevens
    Hendrick Hourihane Whelan Brady
    Judge
    McGoldrick

Judging by his comments I doubt Doherty will start and then he will surely have to drop one of the forwards to play a third midfielder, he has mentioned Judge a few times now and he is someone who is comfortable in possession.

I think we are going to struggle tonight but won't lose, 1-1 or 1-0. I fear the atmosphere could turn toxic if we were to not win combined with the Delaney stuff.

It will be a big mistake if he doesn’t start Doherty. If he does that and we don’t win the honeymoon period will be over already

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Kishvilli mishvilli sishvilli -george hamilton
    Its like a constant nightmare playing them zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Another win for the U19s. 4 LoI players in the team which is great. Who was it saying our league is on par with the 6th tier of English football again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bertser wrote: »
    Another great win for the U19s. 4 LoI players in the team which is great. Who was it saying our league is on par with the 6th tier of English football again :p

Good tournament performance from the 19s, especially when you consider they were missing the spine of their team from last October's first qualifying round.

Along with ourselves and Armenia, four other teams have qualified so far in Czech Republic who knocked England out, Norway who knocked Germany out, France and Italy. Think Scotland play Spain while Holland and Spain play later to decide the last two teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Does anyone know of any protests this evening? I've seen reports online (won't say where in case the FAI are watching!) I'll be heading in myself and would like to know for obvious reasons, anyone able to PM me if they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just hope there is a bit of a protest this evening over the disgraceful carry on of the fai board and Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Rumours Matt Doherty is out of the starting 11, Whelan his replacement

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status/1110585610497130497

Rumours Matt Doherty is out of the starting 11, Whelan his replacement

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status/1110585610497130497

He was pretty crap the other night not surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Zico ! wrote: »
    He was pretty crap the other night not surprised

As were the whole team in fairness and he was played out of position. He's probably our most in form player club-wise and IMO Coleman should be dropped for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Brady and Whelan for Doherty and Maguire are the only 2 changes

The Mig wrote: »

I agree with the 2 of them id also turf keogh out for egan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The Mig wrote: »
    Insider info :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Glenn Whelan. Couldn’t get near the Georgians last time we played them. Poisonous. Mick looking for a 0-0, at home, against Georgia. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,502 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Glenn Whelan. Couldn’t get near the Georgians last time we played them. Poisonous. Mick looking for a 0-0, at home, against Georgia. Pathetic.

Say Glen will do a good job as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Somewhat predictable, if a bit frustrating.

MON took some amount of stick for negative setup but it doesn't appear much has changed based on that selection.

Its fairly poor we can't accommodate Doherty in the team. The only top 8 premier league performer in our squad is benched.

Enda Stevens is naturally better in a wing back role too.

Not convinced this rigid 4 at the back is playing to our strengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,286 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whelan is a backwards step imo.
    Doherty is a better option than Coleman imo, offers more going forward.
    Mc Clean is a one-trick pony, kick it ahead and run like hell.

Looks like back to the future. Hope I’m wrong. Not very hopeful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Duff wrote: »
    As were the whole team in fairness and he was played out of position. He's probably our most in form player club-wise and IMO Coleman should be dropped for him.

This 100%.
    How Mick can't pick one of the best on form players in the PL is beyond a joke.

And as for Whelan back in...

Im not expecting much tonight or the next 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

"We just don't have the players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

We were great that first half
    Passes forward. Not just hoof it forward
    And we had possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Whelan was fantastic
    Dopes with the tennis balls though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Sadlier gets his first goal for Doncaster tonight in L1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Definitely offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,286 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whelan is a backwards step imo.
    Doherty is a better option than Coleman imo, offers more going forward.
    Mc Clean is a one-trick pony, kick it ahead and run like hell.

Looks like back to the future. Hope I’m wrong. Not very hopeful though.

Glad to say I was wrong on most of this.
    Great performance and deserved to win by more than one.
    Well done all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Whelan one of the best players on the pitch tonight.

The keyboard warriors know more than the manager’s who gave him 85 caps or nearly 300 appearances at the highest level in England though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

2 wins from 2 will take that, 6 points and top of the table. Granted both 1-0 against Gibraltar and Georgia. Denmark away in June will be a challenge but at least we go into it with the maximum points.

Didn't realise Denmark have game in hand but probably evens out as qualifiers go on.

Where are you weldinhooooo

Be very wary after the Danes scored three at Switzerland. Think it would have been better if it finished three nil and the Danes host us under pressure.

Still, can at least look forward to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Eod100 wrote: »
    2 wins from 2 will take that, 6 points and top of the table. Granted both 1-0 against Gibraltar and Georgia. Denmark away in June will be a challenge but at least we go into it with the maximum points.

Didn't realise Denmark have game in hand but probably evens out as qualifiers go on.
    Yes the Danes didn't play in the first round of qualifying games so today was their first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Whelan one of the best players on the pitch tonight.

The keyboard warriors know more than the manager’s who gave him 85 caps or nearly 300 appearances at the highest level in England though....

Why start throwing digs after a performance like that? Whelan had a great game tonight but he's also had many stinkers in green over the years. I'm not his biggest fan but he did really well tonight. Here's hoping he and the rest of the team can keep up that level of performance for the rest of the campaign. Even if we don't qualify it'll be great to watch!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement