Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Dundalk should have been out of sight at half time. But what a transformation in Waterford at half time. They were a completely different outfit in the second half. They probably feel they deserved an equaliser given the quality of their possession. However, I thought they lacked something up front.

Hery was a joy to watch in the second half. Anonymous in the first half though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk a bit lucky Duffus cannot play on astro due to his knee.

But Waterford were poor in the 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Big win for us at the Brandywell tonight.

Didn't play well but the 3pts matter more after only 1 win in 7 I think it was. And 2 heavy defeats in a week.

I think the congested fixture list is taking its toll on many of our players. We tend to play the same team most weeks, our backup players aren't good enough to rest 1st teamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I forgot : Akinade fouls Massey. Referee saw it as he gave Dundalk a free. Massey appears to be out cold before resuming. Few seconds later Akinade, arms flying sends Massey to the floor again. Linesman should have seen it, but .....

Massey taken off at half time. Hopefully he’s ok.

Dean Jarvis is good, but Massey was a huge loss in the 2nd half. Hopefully Gannon back soon too, the injury’s are certainly mounting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Akinade violent?

Who'd have thunk it, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

joeysoap wrote: »
    I forgot : Akinade fouls Massey. Referee saw it as he gave Dundalk a free. Massey appears to be out cold before resuming. Few seconds later Akinade, arms flying sends Massey to the floor again. Linesman should have seen it, but .....

Massey taken off at half time. Hopefully he’s ok.
    Forget the linesman, your medical staff should have had him off.

Forget the linesman, your medical staff should have had him off.

It was a few mins before half time. He was substituted at half time. The ref obviously missed it, but the linesman was a few yards away, he should have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Derry not having curtis for the europa games is a big blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Limerick are crippled at the moment with injuries and suspensions.
    Last night we had Eoin Wearen suspended, Killian Brouder, Alan Murphy, Conor Ellis, Danny Morrissey and Barry Maguire all watching from the stands while I don’t even know where Darren Dennehy and Henry Cameron were.

On a similar note, Lee-J Lynch was at Limerick vs Cork last night and was at the game at home to Pat’s Friday before last.
    I took no notice of it the first game, but having seen him last night I checked FC Arizona’s Twitter and it seems they were playing at the weekend, so it would appear he’s gone.
    An awkward one for him, having asked the club for a considerable raise to his already high wages only to be turned down before the pre-season started. Sligo were keen apparently but didn’t bite in the finish.
    I’d imagine anyone could sign him seeing as he’s (presumably) out of contract as opposed to waiting until the Summer Transfer Window?
    If he doesn’t get signed up by a League of Ireland club I could definitely see him playing Junior ball in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Last night we had Eoin Wearen suspended, Killian Brouder, Alan Murphy, Conor Ellis, Danny Morrissey and Barry Maguire all watching from the stands while I don’t even know where Darren Dennehy and Henry Cameron were.

On a similar note, Lee-J Lynch was at Limerick vs Cork last night and was at the game at home to Pat’s Friday before last.
    I took no notice of it the first game, but having seen him last night I checked FC Arizona’s Twitter and it seems they were playing at the weekend, so it would appear he’s gone.
    An awkward one for him, having asked the club for a considerable raise to his already high wages only to be turned down before the pre-season started. Sligo were keen apparently but didn’t bite in the finish.
    I’d imagine anyone could sign him seeing as he’s (presumably) out of contract as opposed to waiting until the Summer Transfer Window?
    If he doesn’t get signed up by a League of Ireland club I could definitely see him playing Junior ball in Limerick.

From someone that knows him FC Arizona was only a short term contract and he's another club lined up since the start of the new year but couldnt sign until the summer. Probably also better that he didnt spend too long in Arizona as gingers arent built for Arizona weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Absolute cracker of a match in Oriel and Soccer Republic show 1 minutes of highlights. Why not show the contentious penalty? FFS. I was at the game but wanted another look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

It was a few mins before half time. He was substituted at half time. The ref obviously missed it, but the linesman was a few yards away, he should have seen it.
    If he was 'out cold' he should be taken off immediately.

Blaming Akinade is ridiculous, he's not responsible for the health of your players. You employ a doctor for that.

Raoul wrote: »
    Absolute cracker of a match in Oriel and Soccer Republic show 1 minutes of highlights. Why not show the contentious penalty? FFS. I was at the game but wanted another look at it.

The same thing happened in the coverage of the game between the two same teams in the RSC. A contentious penalty decision was not broadcast.

If he was 'out cold' he should be taken off immediately.

Blaming Akinade is ridiculous, he's not responsible for the health of your players. You employ a doctor for that.

He was blaming Akinade for dangerous play towards an opponent and the officials for missing it.

The decision as to whether to remove the player from the field of play rests with the medical staff, but others must take responsibility for their actions too.

Don’t understand either why RTE don’t show 4/5 mins of matches played midweek and which you won’t see on tv.

13 Dundalk corners in the first half must be close to a PD record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kksaints wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Wexford atm. Was at their match against Longford two weeks ago in Ferrycarrig. Wasn't much more than 100 people at it and they were well outclassed by Longford while playing a horrible style of football.

To be completely honest, there's not much cause for optimism at the moment. The squad is ok (at best) but the management and the style of football is absolutely brutal and there's no real sign of improvement. I really don't blame people for not supporting this team, they're hardly giving us a reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cant imagine Lynch playing junior football, very good player would be a good signing for a number of Premier division sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

wadacrack wrote: »
    Cant imagine Lynch playing junior football, very good player would be a good signing for a number of Premier division sides
    Nobody wanted him before the season started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Raoul wrote: »

or why not show that great move which ended in Hoban basting over the bar, would have been a lovely goal. imagone if bastian hery played for dundalk:eek: great player, didnt make 1 mistake all night. I thought it was a peno myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Most neutrals wouldn't.

Disagree. It'll be a much better spectacle than cork and Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've been second best all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

We've been second best all night.

Tiredness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

fullstop wrote: »
    Disagree. It'll be a much better spectacle than cork and Waterford.

Can't see the logic in that at all but ok.

Tiredness?

Lot of matches recently, the teams with smaller squads and/or injuries are struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tiredness?

Possibly should have been more changes from Friday night. Only one change made and that was the keeper.

Kenny saying on RTE this morning that Dundalk played 12 matches in 42 days (it’s 13 in 45) and if you add in next Friday it’s 14 in 50. But every club are the same or much the same, so yeah teams with small squads - or just as important - with benches not as strong as the first team are bound to be feeling the strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Possibly should have been more changes from Friday night. Only one change made and that was the keeper.

I see TByrne got taken off. How did he go? Tactical sub to get someone up beside Keegan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers really hammered Pats tonight which was a bit of a surprise, it looked like men against boys for a lot of the match and can't recall Chenchinski having to make any saves. Probably is the games catching up with Pats but they were outclassed in the middle of the pitch and didn't have anything going forward, for around the first hour they couldn't keep the ball and were pegged back in their own half.

Rovers were excellent though, hard to even pick a standout performer as everyone played very well. Bone was brilliant in the middle of the pitch considering he hasn't played in a while, Carr done a great job upfront on his own and done brilliantly to set up Finns goal just before half time. Boyle, Lopes, Grace & Bolger all superb as well. Rovers looked hungry and very up for the game and won all of the loose balls, really is baffling how they can play like this and like they did against Cork yet be so poor other weeks.

Edit: And didn't even mention Graham Burke.. What a player he is, different level to everyone else on the pitch and so tidy on the ball. His third game in 4 days too, clubs in England will surely be taking notice of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It seems Rovers have gone from being unable to beat Pats in Tallaght to being able to only beat Pats. A pleasing result that could've only been better if there had been an undeserved red card for Killian Brennan.

• Advertisement

Good result at Tallaght tonight, suits Derry perfectly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Has joey o brien been playing much? if so how is he doing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Seeding for the Europa League draw is out.
    https://imgur.com/a/N1GyRkt

Draw is regionalised.
    https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/uefa-cup-regions.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk should expect to get through.

Rovers I think could do well. Derry will struggle.

MD1990 wrote: »

Being seeded helps, but they still need a good draw. Relieved to see Rangers seeded, 84 places above them in current ratings but would not fancy that draw.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/seasonclub/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

irish_goat wrote: »
    Seeding for the Europa League draw is out.
    https://imgur.com/a/N1GyRkt

Draw is regionalised.
    https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/uefa-cup-regions.html

How long do the draws stay regionalised? Just the 1st qualifying round?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

MD1990 wrote: »

Agreed, we'd need to get a very lucky draw. In saying that, Rangers on the 12th July could be a laugh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

If Derry drew Rangers could they play it in the Brandywell? how would that work? surely a nightmare for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

major bill wrote: »
    If Derry drew Rangers could they play it in the Brandywell? how would that work? surely a nightmare for all involved.

Linfield and Celtic found a way - moved the game a couple of days and possibly an earlier kick off, as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Linfield and Celtic found a way - moved the game a couple of days and possibly an earlier kick off, as I recall.

Difference is Linfield had active policing around Windsor, PSNI I believe still don't enter the Brandywell on match days but I am open to correction by Derry Fans.

major bill wrote: »
    Difference is Linfield had active policing around Windsor, PSNI I believe still don't enter the Brandywell on match days but I am open to correction by Derry Fans.

Good point. I was up there a couple of seasons ago around the time of the bonfires in Derry (August 12th?). Even on such a potentially troublesome night, I saw very little evidence of the PSNI. If Rangers are drawn at Derry there would have to be massive police presence though, which in itself could antagonise things.

I'd love to see Derry hammer Rangers, but overall it's probably all for the best if they avoid each other!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Good point. I was up there a couple of seasons ago around the time of the bonfires in Derry (August 12th?). Even on such a potentially troublesome night, I saw very little evidence of the PSNI. If Rangers are drawn at Derry there would have to be massive police presence though, which in itself could antagonise things.

I'd love to see Derry hammer Rangers, but overall it's probably all for the best if they avoid each other!

The PSNI do not operate in or around Derrys stadium.

Id imagine if it did happen, Rangers just wouldnt have any fans in Derry.

Id prefer Rovers played them TBH just for the laughs around Dublin

The PSNI do not operate in or around Derrys stadium.

Id imagine if it did happen, Rangers just wouldnt have any fans in Derry.

Id prefer Rovers played them TBH just for the laughs around Dublin

But thousands of "Rangers fans" would possibly be attracted to the area, either genuine Rangers fans or just local loyalists. There would have to be a PSNI presence then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shams not happy about being called Shams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whatever about the Shams thing, I can kind of understand with the other points about the way Rovers were referred to in an official programme. There's been some really weird stuff posted on official LOI publications/sites the last year or two. I don't know if it's the social media mindset or what infiltrating what should be mostly gentle, puff pieces, in official programmes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oat23 wrote: »
    Shams not happy about being called Shams.

Shelbourne = Shels
    Bohemian = Bohs
    St Patrick's Athletic = Pats
    Drumcondra = Drums
    Shamrock Rovers = Shams

Makes perfect sense.

The tabloids have taken it to a new low with Drogs, Lims etc

What are we called?

(ban for 1st person to say Dirty Northern *******)

The tabloids have taken it to a new low with Drogs, Lims etc

I still can't understand why Drogheda embraced the "Drogs" nickname after hating it at the beginning. A horrible name.

I agree the club programme should refer to the opposition using their proper name or preferred nickname. It is a little bit of respect that is not asking too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

NIMAN wrote: »
    What are we called?

(ban for 1st person to say Dirty Northern *******)

Londonderry? That or Muckers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement