Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Joe Sugg the latest contestant. Genuinely have no clue who he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ncmc wrote: »

He was rumoured last week. He's a Youtuber/Blogger. Didn't hear about him until them but I don't really follow that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are they releasing the names at a faster pace this year? 3 yesterday...1 already today.

It's probably a month before we get the pairing up show.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

He's very popular with the "youngsters" 😠my 18 year old son knew exactly who he is whereas I have never heard of him. They must be trying to attract a younger audience.

• Advertisement

The YouTube guy put up a video two hours ago and has 166k views already.

Vick Hope is next celebrity.
    She does a morning breakfast radio with Roman Kemp.

Tom Daley is really rumoured!

• Advertisement

This Morning doctor is the next contestant.

https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1030052203032137728?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh I really like Stacey Dooley

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh I really like Stacey Dooley

She might do an inside investigation on how Strictly effects your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I'm officially an old fart. The only person I know is the cat from Red Dwarf.
    Will still be watching it though.

I know some of them but don't know all of them as with most years.
    There is a good chance if ye were in the UK we'd know who they were.

I like Stacey Dooley, she comes across as really sound. I think she’ll be good on it. It will be weird to see her all dolled up! She’s normally very dressed down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You’re not alone. He’s the only one I know well him and yer wan from steps.

Still gonna watch as well.

Ashley Roberts is next up. I know there’s the discussion every year about those with dance training. But her main occupation is a dancer? Seems a real unfair advantage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1030344009909235714

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ashley Roberts is next up. I know there’s the discussion every year about those with dance training. But her main occupation is a dancer? Seems a real unfair advantage.

She was even a judge for a couple of seasons on DANCING on Ice :confused:

• Advertisement

That's just wrong, she's a professional dancer. While she may not be trained in ballroom and latin, she will still have basic dance moves, know how to move and interpret the music. She will also pick up the choreography easier then the non-dancers.

I can see her being in the bottom two a lot, the GB public tend not to vote for dancers that are too good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

(again I've no idea who she is) but I just looked at her twitter and she's already getting the "you're a trained dancer" schtick. I think BBC deliberately gets someone like this to court publicity.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    (again I've no idea who she is) but I just looked at her twitter and she's already getting the "you're a trained dancer" schtick. I think BBC deliberately gets someone like this to court publicity.

That's very possible actually. Also she has said she is going on it to find love so no doubt they'll pair her with one of the hunks and hope the rumour mill starts. I'd love if she got paired with Anton :D

I normally don't mind when contestants have some previous dance training. I think it's good to have a mix of the hopeless, the novice improvers and also the really great dancers who have training. Plus I think a high proportion of singers/actors/entertainers will have at least some dance experience. But there is a difference between having dance training when you were a child or some dance experience in a previous role and being a fully professional dancer! I would be surprised as a professional dancer if she didn't have some experience with latin and ballroom but even if she doesn't, she will obviously pick up choreography way quicker than the others.

But as has been stated, it doesn't tend to work to their advantage. You only have to look at the last two years with Ore and Joe who beat arguably better dancers because the public love a plucky underdog. I think people really like to see a 'journey' and improvement from the first to the last week, which you don't tend to get with the trained dancers.

The ones that the public opt for are not normally the best dancers. They are the ones that improve the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Equally you could say an athlete has an advantage due to a strong core and fitness regime . An actor has an advantage for the fun dances and for getting into the zone of latin etc
    They all come with some sort of advantage I guess , well maybe not the chefs !

Sean Walsh is next announced. No idea...

https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1030519527220682752?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The ones that the public opt for are not normally the best dancers. They are the ones that improve the most.

Definitely an advantage to “go on a journey”. Abbey Clancy is a perfect e.g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Lee Ryan just announced

• Advertisement

Advertisement