Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-07-2014, 15:33   #1
herself_there

Grangegorman records

Has anyone had any luck recently with accessing or getting any information from patient records from Grangegorman? I have tried via the grangegorman.ie email on two occasions but no word back. From older posts I see that it was the priest in St Brendan's who held the records but they were then passed on to the volunteers who run the Grangegorman museum. I also read somewhere that they had since been passed on to the national archives and are in the process of being organised and archived properly.

Can anyone shed any light on this and if you know the best person to contact? I have a relative who was admitted in the 40's and would love to know more.
Advertisement
02-07-2014, 23:38   #2
pinkypinky

I am in the same boat - never got anywhere.
03-07-2014, 09:54   #3
herself_there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I am in the same boat - never got anywhere.
Ugh. That's a shame. I have emailed the National Archives and asked if they have the records, so I'll let you know if I get anywhere.
05-09-2015, 17:45   #4
cormick

Accessing Grangegorman Records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herself_there View Post
Ugh. That's a shame. I have emailed the National Archives and asked if they have the records, so I'll let you know if I get anywhere.
Did you have any luck with your email to The National Archives. I am trying to find out how to access these records too. As I believe my grandmother died there, after giving birth to my aunt there and I would love to find out more.
05-09-2015, 20:09   #5

Some old hospital records, including Grangegorman, are held by the National Archives. However to get any info on a relative you have to go through the HSE, and you have to prove your connection to the relative via BMD certs. So the National Archives should give you a HSE contact, and thereafter you are dealing with HSE. At least thats the way it worked for me last year.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-09-2015, 23:28   #6
cormick

Thank you very much for this information. It is a great help. I'll contact the National Archives this week and hopefully I'll start the ball rolling.
05-09-2015, 23:43   #7
pinkypinky

That's great to hear, TOMP.

I'll try that tactic too. I sent them all my details (great-grandmother died there) before the NAI took over the records but I never heard a dickybird from them.
06-09-2015, 18:32   #8
cormick

Quote:
That's great to hear, TOMP.

I'll try that tactic too. I sent them all my details (great-grandmother died there) before the NAI took over the records but I never heard a dickybird from them.
I'll let you know how I get on, would you do the same please.
07-09-2015, 22:23   #9
tabbey

The NAI can only allow access to St Brendan's records, when certain administrators grant approval. Two years ago, I wrote to the person named by the NAI, I received a reply from a second person, whom I assumed to be a secretary, advising me to send documentary evidence of relationship to her colleague, in Connolly Norman House (formerly St Dymphna's). This I did, and waited, and waited. I later contacted the second person, who replied with exactly the same instructions, which I had complied with previously. Subsequently this person said they had not received my family tree, certs etc. This claim was untrue, as I had delivered the letter personally, and the person at the reception desk, confirmed it was the right office, and promised to hand it to the relevant officer named on the envelope.
I hope others have better luck, but personally I have better things to do with my time, life is short enough, and I have lots of genealogical searching yet, on many branches of my tree.
Advertisement
08-09-2015, 10:58   #10
pinkypinky

That's very frustrating, Tabbey.

When did Grangegorman become St Brendan's? What's the difference? ETA: St Brendan's is the official name after it changed from Richmond Lunatic Asylum, but presumably always just known by the suburb's name.

Some details here:
http://ggda.ie/grangegorman/a-brief-history

https://sites.google.com/site/iimhli...eum-collection

Last edited by pinkypinky; 08-09-2015 at 11:01.
08-09-2015, 11:40   #11
cormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
The NAI can only allow access to St Brendan's records, when certain administrators grant approval. Two years ago, I wrote to the person named by the NAI, I received a reply from a second person, whom I assumed to be a secretary, advising me to send documentary evidence of relationship to her colleague, in Connolly Norman House (formerly St Dymphna's). This I did, and waited, and waited. I later contacted the second person, who replied with exactly the same instructions, which I had complied with previously. Subsequently this person said they had not received my family tree, certs etc. This claim was untrue, as I had delivered the letter personally, and the person at the reception desk, confirmed it was the right office, and promised to hand it to the relevant officer named on the envelope.
I hope others have better luck, but personally I have better things to do with my time, life is short enough, and I have lots of genealogical searching yet, on many branches of my tree.
That is very disappointing. I really need to see my grandmother's information. I hope it will give me information that has been lost or hidden by my mothers family. My mother told me that when she was about 10 years old in 1921, she and my granny who was pregnant were travelling in a pony and trap along Richmond Road when her mother slumped over, my mother thought she had a brain seizure. She was taken to Grangegorman, where my aunt was born. However my granny died shortly after on Christmas Eve. She left 7 children, her husband was heartbroken and couldn't cope and the family was broken up. My mother was sent down the country with her younger brother and her new baby sister to live with her mother's mother. Mam never celebrated Christmas again till she met my father in her twenties. My mother was always sad about the circumstance of her mother's death. My granny's death cert is vague. She was the only girl and very close to her mother, after that her life was very hard. My aunt told me she had never seen a photograph of her mother. I guess everything was scattered when the family home was broken up. I'd like to find out as much as I can just as a mark of respect to my mother
08-09-2015, 12:02   #12
pinkypinky

I think it's worth trying to find out.

I've mailed off to the NAI for the contact details in the HSE and will send my direct connection to my great-grandmother. Will report back.

There's a case for arguing that medical records could have implications for future generations.
08-09-2015, 12:07   #13
cormick

Quote:
I think it's worth trying to find out.

I've mailed off to the NAI for the contact details in the HSE and will send my direct connection to my great-grandmother. Will report back.

There's a case for arguing that medical records could have implications for future generations.
Thank you so much, that would be great. Cormick
10-09-2015, 13:43   #14
herself_there

Only getting to read these replies now.

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere either. I've tried contacting former employees in the hope of being pointed in the right direction, but no joy. My relative was my great grand aunt. She never had children but I'm not sure if I'm a close enough relative to be allowed access to her records. If anyone does end up dealing with a person in the national archives, who is actually helping them then please PM me their details.

It shouldn't be be this difficult (in fact obstructive!) to legitimately access family records. Especially in the case of your grandmother. That's shocking.
19-09-2015, 11:06   #15
rusheens

This should help, this is the email reply I received in July from the National Archives re: Richmond Asylum (Grangegorman) records. Good luck!

"I refer to your email below and am writing to inform you that while the records of St Brendan’s Hospital, Grangegorman are in the custody of the National Archives, access is granted through Dublin North Mental Health Services. I am forwarding contact details for your information.

Please contact:

Antoinette Kelly
MHA Administrator
Dublin North City Mental Health Services
The Phoenix Care Centre
Grangegorman
North Circular Road
Dublin 7"
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic