Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

He didn't raise a hand coming off there. Can't read into it too much but I'm concerned for the guy, I hope it's just a bit of a stun.

One small consolation is that he won't miss the final.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fair fcuks to him..... brave move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for ROG. He has worked hard to earn his stripes. Really hope it works out for him. He obviously likes France, and I think the family are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anyone know what French channel the final is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone know what French channel the final is on?

Canal+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It'll be on sky sports too right? My French is sketchy enough.

Canal+
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Iturria injured in the warmup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

gooch2k9 wrote:
    Iturria injured in the warmup.

Significant advantage to Toulouse who will go after the Clermont line out.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    It'll be on sky sports too right? My French is sketchy enough.

Given the number of foreign players on the pitch, a lot of what the ref says will probably be in English!

Buer wrote: »
    Significant advantage to Toulouse who will go after the Clermont line out.

They'd be better advised going after the ball! Vaahaaahaaaaminaaa can win all of the lineouts for CA.

Streaming live on TV5 Monde.

http://live.tv5monde.com/europe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Macron shaking all 80000 fans hands before kick off by looks of it

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Macron shaking all 80000 fans hands before kick off by looks of it

With two or three shakes per grip!

Is it a Fijian thing to kneel like that?

Massive overlap for Clermont and they give it to Slimani. Get three points but should be going for seven.

Serious hit on Vahaamahina there!

Smart yellow to take from Kolbe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Slimani has been boring in on every single scrum.

Iturria badly missed. Several key Clermont throws have either been stolen or heavily disrupted.

No try given there but the steal on the 5m line leads to a 5m attacking scrum. Concede here and I don't see Clermont turning it around.

• Advertisement

And Huget gets around. Should be a seven pointer.....and it is. Two score game with 25 to go.

Great hands from Toulouse.

Clermont look completely devoid of ideas, they're a shambles

Toulouse win it. Kolbe gets a crucial turnover towards the end, Clermont get another chance with a scrum awarded with a second to go and go nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bit of a poor final in the end.

Despite the close score line, that was an extremely poor final. Two sides that love to run it in perfect conditions.... Clermont never got close to scoring a try in 80 minutes. Outside of their scrum, they had nothing tonight.

Toulouse for their part weren't anything special. They were smart and turned the screw at key moments, taking their chances. It's not hard to see why the T14 is the least successful league when it comes to Europe right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Didn't see all the game but the Tolouse defence was very good. Fair play to the ex Connacht lad Pikhi (?) who played for Tolouse.

Mad season with the final in mid June.

I'd still like to see a 2 division (maybe more) European league. Don't think the top14 can sustain that amount of teams.

Disappointing final. As, in fairness, is often the case. Hadn't realised that Garces was retiring after the RWC - he did reasonably well, although he blew for a scrum when Toulouse had a pretty good advantage - Ugo Mola went berserk!

I agreed with Barnes that the Clermont halves were poor, Cammy Lopez in particular had a pretty dire game. It's a shame that Parra was crocked and that Iturria missed out. A sad way for Ben Kayser to end his illustrious career. Once again I felt very sorry for Clermont's wonderful supporters.

In passing, I'll miss Dimitri Szarzewski too. Sad to see two great French hookers hanging up their boots in the same month. Good to see that his son may well carry on the family tradition! https://twitter.com/racing92/status/1134525970835279879

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Just a note on Clermont who I was really itching for to win. They really accelerate with all their players onto the ball and through the gainline. Toulouse didn't have the same talent in this regard and although they found weaknesses in the Clermont defence weren't as exciting taking the ball to the gainline like Clermont did. I would imagine although I don't know the stats that Clermont had lots more linebreaks in the game and it is exciting to watch.

This is something the Irish team should have been monitoring very closely with their problems about taking the ball static and shoveling on sh1t through the backline whilst standing and not accelerating onto the ball. Leinster had this problem also in the Champions Cup final - guys like Ringrose standing still while passing it on. It wasn't Saracens push up and in defence that caused this - there is an endemic problem creeping in to the Irish game in this respect.

Clermont are the most exciting team to watch in France despite losing this final to Toulouse and they have the blueprint of rugby I would like to see both Leinster and Ireland mirror in their upcoming season.

Heymans wrote: »
    I would imagine although I don't know the stats that Clermont had lots more linebreaks in the game and it is exciting to watch.

https://www.espn.com/rugby/matchstats?gameId=293235&league=270559

toulouse 7 - 6 clermont

clermont beat 2 more defenders though 25 - 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Fantastic performance from the French u20s to get to the final. They just bullied and controlled that South african side incredibly well. 2 finals in a row is pretty impressive.

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2019-06-24-a%CC%80-13.13.45.png

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2019-06-24-a%CC%80-13.13.52.png

http://www.rctoulon.com/news/article/saison-2019-2020-decouvrez-leffectif-poste-par-poste/

Toulon's 2019/20 squad is a good example of how the French clubs have had to evolve with the tightening of the JIFF quota. Just 11 players in the squad are non-JIFF (ETR above) and in the Top14 an average of 16 JIFF players must be used in matchday 23s. They've made an interesting signing in Gervais Cordin who has an impressive highlight reel while at Grenoble.

capture_jiff.jpg

The column on the left shows the max number of non JIFF players allowed in club squads. The column on the right shows the average number of JIFF players in matchday squads (over the season) required to avoid a points deduction and access a 'JIFF fund'.

Weird that they only see Savea as a centre now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

2019/20 season starts on Saturday evening.

The best game is probably on Sunday.

Fixtures:

Agen - Toulon
    Castres - Montpellier
    Lyon - Paris
    Pau - Brive
    Racing 92 - Bayonne
    Bordeaux Bègles - Toulouse

Sunday: Clermont - La Rochelle

Nothing showing on Sky Sports yet. Hopefully they'll show Sunday's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't think Sky have the rights for the T14 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think Sky have the rights for the T14 anymore.

Hadn't realised that. Thanks. (Yet another reason for waving farewell to Sky Sports when my current 6 months special offer comes to an end.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seemingly there is no UK TV rights deal in place for the Top 14 this season for the first time in many, many years.

icdg wrote: »
    Seemingly there is no UK TV rights deal in place for the Top 14 this season for the first time in many, many years.

Sky are definitely tightening the purse strings.
    Playing the long game with all these smaller rights holders. What value are the rights when not on the sky platform one wonders?

Rugby pass is getting tempting. You would want to chromecast it though.

icdg wrote: »

Interesting. I wonder has the LNR priced themselves out of the market or is the "product" not being watched by enough viewers (far too many predictable home wins) or perhaps the UK pay TV channels have decided that there's too much rugby available on TV as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I maybe wrong but can't see anyone pick up UK Top 14 rights quickly. If La Liga is struggling to get a permanent deal (present one with ITV is short term) it's difficult to see Top 14 cutting a deal soon. Premier Sports may be a long shot.

• Advertisement

Sky are definitely tightening the purse strings.
    Playing the long game with all these smaller rights holders. What value are the rights when not on the sky platform one wonders?

Rugby pass is getting tempting. You would want to chromecast it though.

Is Rugbypass available here or is internet wizardry required?

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Is Rugbypass available here or is internet wizardry required?

The latter.

Interesting article here about Canal+ acquiring international rights for the next 4 years.
    They would still need to sell on the rights to a package of 4 live matches every week it seems.
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/top-14-canal-international-rights-rugby-france

I am not sure who takes the hit if no rights are sold.
    It is a bit worrying the way all these leagues (pro14, top14, premiership) want to expand the value of their product overseas. They all seem to be rowing their own boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ive read Rugbypass doesnt even work with some VPNs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Must have missed it but looks like Sky aren't showing Top 14 anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Rugby Pass don't seem to have Top 14 rights. Don't see anything on the schedule on their website. Castres v Racing on at the moment and not showing on an IPTV subscription that includes Rugby Pass.

I'm watching on Canal + but in French.

Some channel called espn scrum apparently has it.

Early Top 14 table; probably meaningless in the longer term, but interesting to see Toulouse near the bottom!

ROG's boys need to improve their defence.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/top-14/table

After round three every team has won at least one game with only two having won all 3.

A good win for Brive, with Olding at 10, against Clermont and Toulouse broke their duck with a narrow win over Racing 92.

Table: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/top-14/table shows ROG's La Rochelle in last place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Started watching the French RWC training vids. What struck me was what appeared to be actual coaching! Galthié is in there already and is hands on.
    https://youtu.be/O3nskDM4QFM
    They also have a new s&c guy- Thibault Giroud. He was previously at Glasgow.
    Interesting side note - they have been training with the WC ball for 3 months now! Not one WC ball at any of the English or Irish training sessions.
    This training block will surely improve the rabble that turned up in Lansdowne.
    If they get their selections right; playing a FB at FB would be a start, they could go far with their quality.
    Dupont at SH is one of the most exciting prospects in world rugby. Baptiste Serin is a dream backup. Fofana at 12 is another massive boost for them & Médard sideburns are bigger and bushier than ever!
    Tipping/Hoping that they cause an upset England and send them home early. Again!

My guess at the XV vArg
    Médard/Ramos; Penaud, Guitoune, Fofana, Huget; Lopez, Dupont; Poirot, Guirado, Slimani; Taofifenua, Vahahaha; Iturria, Alldritt/Camara, Picamoles.

Edit: who is going to replace Gabrillagues in the second row? Taofifenua? Find it strange they have only 3 second rows.

Is gabrillagues not suspended... And is the center partnership not preferred as fickou and fofana??

Love your spelling of vahaamahina too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement